Talk to me about bags!

Name
Fi
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new bag as I'm now wanting to transport my Nikon D7000 with a Sigma 150-600mm lens attached. I do own a lowepro bag that this combo will fit in - but it is pretty large and crucially, doesn't have any pockets on the side to hold a drinks bottle in. I much prefer this cheapo smaller bag I've been using the last few years - but it is not tall enough for the new lens and I'd be concerned about the cheap plastic fittings coping with the weight regardless. I'm willing to pay up to about £50 / £60 and essential features are:

- Backpack style - the sling type bags are not an option
- As compact and light as possible
- Big enough to fit Nikon D7000 with a Sigma 150-600mm attached and Nikon 70-300mm in reserve
- Room for your standard personal items - keys / purse / mobile / twix / sunblock etc...
- Side pocket to hold a water bottle / thermos
- Some method of attaching a monopod
- Ideally waterproof - or at least with a waterproof cover

Any recommendations gratefully received!

Fi have you looked at K&F Concept backpacks?

How about a regular backpack (there are plenty with side pockets, waterproof covers, and trekking pole attachment points) together with a camera-specific insert? This sort of thing:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/S-ZONE-Waterproof-Shockproof-Practical-Protection/dp/B01LYZRPQH

(not a recommendation, just the first one I found).

I second a camera insert. I have used slings, over-the-shoulder, backpacks but still I like a regular insert in a comfortable backpack the most.
In particular, I like this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...rchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_55
It seems hard to find anywhere else, but for me the 'tall large' size is perfect. You'd have to check whether your combination fits though.

For a large part I think finding a good bag is just trial and error sadly, since taste is so different.

I agree with the above in that bags are quite personal, but for what it's worth I've been using a Lowepro Flipside 400 II and I love it. I've just got back from a 4 week trip around Canada, USA and Mexico and was using this bag for up to 7 hours a day, multiple days in a row and it was very comfortable.

I used it to carry a D810 plus 16-35 f4, 70-200 f4 and 50mm, plus a Panasonic G80 and 3 lenses, PLUS a tripod and water bottle. I was (and am) very impressed with the bag!

I have a Lowepro Flipside 400 II - it takes my Sony a7Rii and a Sigma 150-600 fitted - 2 side pockets for drink sunblock cloth etc rear zipped pocket and internal zipped pocket

can't fault it- your budget is a little on the LOW side - when you think about offering protection for your loved one :)

Les

Its an older bag, but does everything I want from a backpack - Lowepro Vertex series. If you're happy with a 'pre-loved' bag, should be able to get the AW200 or poss AW300 within your budget.

Agree the Vertex are tough old bags but the mesh side pockets are too small to take a water bottle, one of the OP's criteria.

GC

I put a plastic water bottle in mine.
or you could use a sliploc pouch to attach a bottle holder

Wonder if the pockets changed over the years? This can is less than 50mm dia and I can only force it half way down.

48869719657_854a1bdb6b_b.jpg

GC

I also use a Lowepro Flipside 400 II - it's a great bag. As I use a wheelchair, I carry it on my chest so when I open it (without taking it off), it sits all my kit nicely on my lap - almost made for the job. :cool:(y)

Last edited:
Swiss Gear backpacks ( the ones designed for 17" laptops ) They might work ok, they have a lot of compartments for various stuff

Thank you all for the suggestions - I've been in the hospital visiting my premature twin nephews all evening so not had a chance to look through them all yet - but I will defo have a look tomorrow. Appreciate the help (y)

Back