Talk to me about upgrading

So...an AF-S lens has an in built motor, to auto focus. For body's that don't have an autofocus motor but can also be used on body's with an autofocus motor (Idon't know which takes precedence)
If the lens is AFS (or equivalent) the in lens motor takes precedence.

An AF lens does not have an in built motor so will not work on a body that does not have an autofocus motor.
It will not auto focus but usually still be usable as manual focus.

Therefore if the D7000 has a autofocus motor, which it does (I hope) then both type of lens will work.
It does and they will.

As this is the ONLY difference I can find (other than noise of the motor in the body) then I can't see any reason to pay for a more expensive AF-S Lens.
IQ perhaps? In most cases the AF-S lens will out perform the AF/D lenses in IQ terms. No AF/D lens has VR either. Some people prefer the build of the AF/D lenses over AFS lenses. Given the choice I would always use an AFS lens over an AFD (same focal length etc ...)

Last edited:
As this is the ONLY difference I can find (other than noise of the motor in the body) then I can't see any reason to pay for a more expensive AF-S Lens.
It's not just the only difference. Some newer lenses have VR, or better versions of VR. They tend to have better lens coating helping to reduce glare, chromatic aberration, and improve image quality. The colours tend to be different, some prefer the older look but I think the newer lenses give more natural colours (contentious issue ;)). Lens AF tends to be faster than in camera driven, not so important for static subjects but can be very important for sports and wildlife for example and can be the difference between getting a shot and not. But that's not to say all AF lenses are slow, and all AF-S lenses are super fast of course.

Have I gone a bit overboard :)
There is just far too much to take in and this way I can select different options to price them up.

View attachment 41372

OK, why's that?
I kinda like the idea that I'd have a wide range of focal lengths, but I also like the idea of a really good quality std lens. Is it a quality thing? is your in it's box because you have the 35mm.
I'm just interested in your reasoning.

I find the pop up flashes too harsh and being pop up I cant 'bounce' the light. I'm not looking for a studio flash just something I can use to fill in and for family events indoor and out. I guess with the 'bulb' setting I should be able to paint with it too (ohhh something I've never tried)

I just feel that the 18mm on a crop sensor isn't really that wide, and a prime lens is a really good way learn how to compose an image without thinking about zooming if that makes sense.

I just feel that the 18mm on a crop sensor isn't really that wide, and a prime lens is a really good way learn how to compose an image without thinking about zooming if that makes sense.
I agree that a prime is a good way to learn how to compose properly and to get you to move your feet etc, but if 18mm isn't wide enough for landscapes on a crop (27mm eq) then 35mm (52.5mm) certainly isn't wide enough for your average landscape imo. 28mm eq is my absolute max for general landscapes, but prefer much wider. Of course there's no golden rule to the FL you use and I have used 200mm eq, and even 300mm eq on one occasion.

Last edited:
Well, thank you very much to those of you that have taken the time out to join in my thread and help me on my journey to 'proper' camera ownership.
Your comments have been invaluable in what is a minefield.

Please feel free to comment on my first 'homemade bundle' choices;

New Nikon D7000 body - £395
http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/nikon-d7000-digital-slr-camera-body-584-p.asp

Thanks to @Swanseajack for suggesting new rather than old. The new one is only £36 more than the used one so this makes sense to me

Nikon AF-S 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED DX - £84
http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...-lenses/nikon-af-s-18-70mm-f35-45g-if-ed-dx-1

Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f4.5-5.6G ED-IF VR - £249
http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...lenses/nikon-af-s-70-300mm-f45-56g-ed-if-vr-1

Thanks to @Emma1 and @snerkler for the discussion we had on lenses.
I did consider a prime but a) I like the idea of trying to cover most focal lengths I might want and b) They were more expensive. Maybe a prime will be something for me to look for in the future.
I truth I am considering third party lenses still but I've gone initially for used Nikon AF-S lenses. The D7000 autofocuses when videoing but I'm not convinced third party lenses support this feature. Having said that I'm not really sure I care because I've bought it for stills mainly. I do however thing I should have on AF-S lens in my bag and I think it should be the long lens.
what would you choose?

Nikon SB-80DX Speedlight - £59
http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/us...edicated-flashguns/nikon-sb-80dx-speedlight-2

And just a cheap flashgun, as long as it tilts so I can bounce

All in all not a bad Nikon bundle for £751.
I've still got accessories to choose like SD Cards/Remote/Filters but other than the SD cards the other things can wait. I've got a decent bag and a tripod. not sure I want a spare battery to start with.

So please feel free to comment and let me know if there is anything I've missed

Only thing I would possibly change is the 70-300 for the Tamron version I mentioned earlier. I used the Nikon and Tamron versions on my D7000 and I prefered the Tamron. Also, with the Tamron if bought from WEX I linked earlier, you get a 5 year warranty with the lens. Don't get hung up on the Nikon AFS, Tamron and Sigma use the same thing, it's just named different.

As regarding the prime, you will see over time what your prefered shooting ranges are and you can buy the prime which suits your needs, myself I prefered the 50mm over 35mm when I had the D7000.

Up to you, you have a plan so go for it and enjoy your new kit.(y)

Your welcome, I just bought the Nikon 70-300mm and have been quite impressed with it so far. All that's left now is to get out there and take lots of photos

Your welcome, I just bought the Nikon 70-300mm and have been quite impressed with it so far. All that's left now is to get out there and take lots of photos
Ohh yeah...must remember, take pictures!
No pressure then

Camera, 18-55mm Nikon and 70-300mm Tamron lenses ordered.
3-5 days delivery, hoping it will turn up while someone is in before the weekend. I'm going to Fairford Air Tattoo on Sunday.

Absolutely gutted is a bit of an understatement!
Ordered my kit on Monday from HDEW, it arrived today, minus the long lens!
No indication that they were going to deliver with shortages even though I'd spokento their sales team at least three times during this week.
I'm going to Fairford on Sunday too!

Absolutely gutted is a bit of an understatement!
Ordered my kit on Monday from HDEW, it arrived today, minus the long lens!
No indication that they were going to deliver with shortages even though I'd spokento their sales team at least three times during this week.
I'm going to Fairford on Sunday too!
That's not good to say the least. I assume you were straight on the phone?

Yep, let them know that I was far from happy!
But what can they do? I won't know till Monday about delivery of the lens either.
So...phoned local store, they may be able to help me out with a cheapo second hand Sigma long zoom for Fairford, I'm going to pop in tomorrow morning.
I normally get all my kit from them but they didn't have a D7000 and they are quite pricey compared to HDEW.

Yep, let them know that I was far from happy!
But what can they do? I won't know till Monday about delivery of the lens either.
So...phoned local store, they may be able to help me out with a cheapo second hand Sigma long zoom for Fairford, I'm going to pop in tomorrow morning.
I normally get all my kit from them but they didn't have a D7000 and they are quite pricey compared to HDEW.
Not a lot I guess, apart from grovel.

Hooray!!!
My long lens arrived today!
Pic of new kit to follow

Glad your sorted now! Enjoy your new kit.

Back