Critique Talland Bay, Cornwall

That's wonderfully detailed & composed. 2 bits of crit I'd cheekily offer is that on the LHS the land goes dark/dull while the sky lightens and that the colours over there are just a bit too 'dense' , possibly because of the darker exposure (due to angle of light changing through the image?).

That's wonderfully detailed & composed. 2 bits of crit I'd cheekily offer is that on the LHS the land goes dark/dull while the sky lightens and that the colours over there are just a bit too 'dense' , possibly because of the darker exposure (due to angle of light changing through the image?).

Thanks. I think the main reason is the harsh mid day sunshine. The sun was over to the left, hence the light sky at that side, and the deep shadows in the foliage. It was even darker before I lifted the shadows.

Sure Jon: might still be worth a little more work if you like the image enough to go back.

Great composition... but the harsh light... well its a harsh light photo...

Go back at sunrise or sunset and grab it again!

Not necessarily only sunrise or sunset since the daylight images have their uses, namely in travel advertorials, etc. But I would still try photographing it a little closer to the golden hour.

The real weak point of the images is not so much harsh light but more a lack of foreground interest

Indeed I find a section left side quite a lot darker than the rest, which no doubt is the result of panorma merge. A local adjustment to brighten that area should be trivial to apply.

Not necessarily only sunrise or sunset since the daylight images have their uses, namely in travel advertorials, etc. But I would still try photographing it a little closer to the golden hour.

The real weak point of the images is not so much harsh light but more a lack of foreground interest

Indeed I find a section left side quite a lot darker than the rest, which no doubt is the result of panorma merge. A local adjustment to brighten that area should be trivial to apply.

I guess by sunrise/ sunset i meant the actual golden hrs either side also

Back