Review Tamrac 5575 Expedition 5 backpac

Edit My Images
Yes
well it finally arrived today, although NO tripod as yet, but back to the bag. Extremely well made and light bag, featuring absolutely loads of space (for me anyway) some of you have loads more stuff than i have. I bought it from fotosense for £59.00, no-one else could match the price..

Taken from an advert on Ebay.. photos courtesy of Aspen of Hereford..

The bag offers foam-padded protection and quick access to all your camera gear This medium size pack offers foam-padded protection and quick access to multiple SLRs, lenses, flash and accessories.

The main compartment is completely foam padded with numerous adjustable, foam-padded dividers to protect digital or film SLRs, 5-7 lenses, and a flash.
bagpic1.jpg

The camera with a long zoom lens attached is suspended on two vertical, foam-padded dividers that are internally reinforced with rigid plastic.
bagpic3.jpg

A restraint strap holds the lens firmly in place.
Two Windowpane-Mesh!" pockets inside the front flap visibly organize filters, film and other accessories.
bagpic.jpg

A plastic, foam-padded platform in the bottom provides shock protection
while a LockDown!" rain flap protects the zipper from the elements.

A large front pocket with a water-resistant zipper holds a light jacket or extra gear.
bagpic4.jpg

Fantastic bag. Had mine for a couple of year now. Gets everything i need in, no problem.

Fantastic bag. Had mine for a couple of year now. Gets everything i need in, no problem.

i agree torpedo, i cant believe just how much room there is in it, my stuff will look lost in there.
Oh well just have to buy more to fill it :D

Looks like the Tamrac version of the Lowepro mini trekker.

Looks like the Tamrac version of the Lowepro mini trekker.

Actually Janice, I used to have the Mini Trekker 200 AW and it was too heavy for me when it was empty! Looking at this Tamrac seems to hold more, and secure the long lens up the middle. The extra vertical side pockets look useful too. Ummm! I might consider one of these, especially if Boon says it is light too. Thanks for the review Boon.

I really like this bag apart from the stitching has just come away a little on the shoulder strap on mine.

The extra vertical side pockets look useful too. Ummm! I might consider one of these, especially if Boon says it is light too. Thanks for the review Boon.

hi Gilly
i can pick up the bag (empty) with one finger with ease, not a lot of weight there at all, but made very sturdily with good heavy zips.

What is the internal height Boon? My current bag is big enough but a wee bit too shallow for comfort when the 30d with grip attached is in it.

What is the internal height Boon? My current bag is big enough but a wee bit too shallow for comfort when the 30d with grip attached is in it.

hi steep
the internal height is 13inch and its a good 5 1/2inch deep, loads of thick padding in there with straps to hold the lens in too. If anyone can fill this bag, then they have probably too much stuff (only jealous).
HTH

Actually Janice, I used to have the Mini Trekker 200 AW and it was too heavy for me when it was empty! Looking at this Tamrac seems to hold more, and secure the long lens up the middle. The extra vertical side pockets look useful too. Ummm! I might consider one of these, especially if Boon says it is light too. Thanks for the review Boon.

Im wondering if you meant the MICRO trekker 200 gilly as the mini trekker doesnt have model numbers.

I have just looked at internal dimensions and it seems my mini trekker is 37cm whereas the tamrac is 34cm.

Probably not worth me changing then?

Has anyone used/tried both??

Im just needing a bit more room as I can hardly close the mini trekker with everything in... and I feel compelled to take everything out with me when I go... as I would kick myself to miss a bird shot as I had only taken a short lens, or missing a macro as I'd only taken a wide angle etc.

Ive just had a re-shuffle and put my gear and dividers in the Loweprowe Mini Trekker as shown in Boon's pics here of the Tamrac.. that has left me with 2 SPACES!!!!
I agree with Steep about it being slightly shallow for the battery grip but Im amazed at the room I have left.

Ive just had a re-shuffle and put my gear and dividers in the Loweprowe Mini Trekker as shown in Boon's pics here of the Tamrac.. that has left me with 2 SPACES!!!!
I agree with Steep about it being slightly shallow for the battery grip but Im amazed at the room I have left.

hi janice
now i've saved you the price of a new bag, the drinks are on you(y)

hi janice
now i've saved you the price of a new bag, the drinks are on you(y)

Well you are to blame for me being here in the first place, Steve... so I think everyone else might think you owe THEM a drink!!! ;) :D :LOL:

After a long and tiresome trawl through reviews etc for a camera bag for my Thailand trip, I have decided after this review that I am getting it :)
I have one question though.... this is taken from a review for the Tamrac Adventure 9

The Tamrac Adventure 9 is a standard backpack style bag. Unlike the Computrekker it doesn't make you look like Boba Fett with a jetpack when you strap it on your back. It has 2 main compartments with the bottom being padded and molded and the top being soft. Walking around it is very comfortable, but the problem with taking stuff out without putting it down becomes apparent. The bottom opens as a flap with the danger of things just tumbling out if it is upright.

does this problem exist with the 5575 ???
If not I am going to order it.
thanks

The bottom opens as a flap with the danger of things just tumbling out if it is upright.

does this problem exist with the 5575 ???
If not I am going to order it.
thanks

hi shorn
the tamrac opens from the top with two zips running down either side of the bag, and there are two good straps to stop camera and lens from falling out, although if i was not to use the lens on the camera, i would have to put the bag down to change it.
This is lovely to carry on the back as it has a waist strap and a chest strap for extra support. i would have no hesitation in buying it again.

Thanks Boon, just going to see if it's still available for the price you mentioned.

Hello again Boon, what tripod did you order, my velbon is far to heavy to use with this bag, am interested in what you chose.
Thanks

Hello again Boon, what tripod did you order, my velbon is far to heavy to use with this bag, am interested in what you chose.
Thanks

hmm, i also made a mistake with the tripod, dont get me wrong, i love it, its the Slik pro 700 dx but no way will it fit in the bag so have to carry it seperately, well it gives the wife something to carry :D
i had to get something rather heavier because of the big lens i now have, forgot about carrying it though. I really cant imagine how sturdy a tripod would be that would fit into such a small space, but i may be wrong.

you can check out the bag here:
http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/Tamrac_5575_Expedition_5.html

Oh I forgot to say, I got it :)

Subtotal of Items £59.95
Postage & Packing £5.00
Total for this order £64.95

It's arrived !! It's arrived :) luckily I awoke with a knee twice the size it should be so was able to take delivery myself...... am going to put a bit of stuff in it :)

Walking around it is very comfortable, but the problem with taking stuff out without putting it down becomes apparent. The bottom opens as a flap with the danger of things just tumbling out if it is upright.

This is something that I find a problem. To be honest.. although the backpacks are comfortable compared to a shoulder type bag when you are on a walk.........that is about all I find they have going for them.

Hard to get gear out without plonking the whole bag down on the ground and scaring the bird away that you wanted to take the photo of!!!

Easy to leave a bit of zip undone and pick the bag up to have something fall out.

I am seriously considering going back to my old guardsman bag from pre-digital days and see how it goes............much easier access and less precarious!

(All this however, applies to ME... the world's clumsiest woman............you lot may be fine! :D)

PS>>>>>>>>>anyone know where i can get hold of lots of the interior divisions with velcro at the edges for bag interiors.. i believe there was a link on here once but I cant find it now.

Cant you just use any tripod? If its like the mini trekker.. you shove 2 of the legs into the flap and fasten the 2 clips round the legs of the tripod.

Janice, the velbon tripod I have is heavy heavy heavy and I wouldn't like to carry it very far on or off the backpac. I have seen a few pics in reviews of this bag with pods attatched. I can see boons point though, getting one thats sturdy and light is going to take some finding me thinks .
But the size of this bag is perfect, it's airport hand luggage size aswell and that was paramount in my decision.

But the size of this bag is perfect, it's airport hand luggage size aswell and that was paramount in my decision.

Now that's funny, I was discussing this very issue with some work colleagues just this moment!
Apparently it doenst matter how heavy it is.. it is the physical size.. so the backpacks will work for this!
May have to put the tripod in a case and bung it in the hold though :shrug:

I will be hitting Bangkok xmas day so I think Santa will help me out with the tripod :)

ps. Pics are fantastic well done Janice.

Pics are fantastic well done Janice.

Just in case anyone wondered what Shorn was talking about there.... the pics from the wedding I did in a castle are on my website for the bride & groom to choose.

http://www.janicehobbs.com/PhilippaNick/index.html Password: gransden

They were supposed to be choosing 40 but ordered over 100 large shots and are happy for them to be seen by the public now! :D
Just had a booking for next year completely out of the blue from a stranger! They haven't even seen my wedding shots yet........just recommendation from a friend! (y)

And what has this to do with a Tamrac backpack? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! :D

i had mine turn up today :) its a great bag, with lots of room which means il have ti buy more stuff to fill it now :LOL:

i got it for £50 plus 6.99 p+p which was a bargain thanks to ebay.

if anyone wants the link pm me.

I just recieved one of these Manfrotto Modo Maxi 785B Compact Tripod and although I haven't tried it yet, it fits this bag perfectly.
Will see how the tripod holds up tomorrow.

will wait to see how the tripod fairs with the backpac, and any chance of seeing it attached?

Sure Boon, I find this tripod very nice to fit on the backpack. Light and trouble free. At its extended length I would deffo hang a bag from underneath but it is sturdy enough to warrant me taking it to thailand with me, not much wind out there most days :)

Tamrac2.jpg

Tamrac1.jpg

That looks good Shorn. How much was it and did the head come with it.
Was thinking of getting a Velbon Luxi F myself.

That looks good Shorn. How much was it and did the head come with it.
Was thinking of getting a Velbon Luxi F myself.

and also would it hold my 350d and 400mm lens??
many thanks for the pictures.

To be honest Boon at full heigth I wouldn't of thought so, as I don't have a 400mm I can't comment. I bought it secondhand from these forums, it came with the head which is surprisingly very nice to use. I have had my 135mm lens on it and it was sturdy enough for that. I didn't take a tripod on my last visit to Thailand and I came upon many a situation where I wished I had one. This tripod cost me £20 but I think if I had payed the full price of £60 I would have been a little dissapointed, even though it is a manfrotto. On saying that, at 3/4 heigth it is more than adequate to hold my 30D and 135 mm. At the price I got it for I am more than happy, it's a shame you can't get to a shop to try it out, but with a 400mm lens I think you would be pushing it.
Hope this helps.
ps shame you don't live in the southwest, you could have tried mine before buying :)

ps just found this link and after reading it, maybe I am expecting a little too much from my manfrotto. I am going to give it a good testing tomorrow night and will post you some pics to see what the IQ is like with slow shutter speeds. You may find this link good
http://www.virtualtraveller.org/tripods/tripods.htm

Back