Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Tamrac Cyberpack 9 Review

tamrac_cyberpack9_1.gif

I originally owned the Hama trekking backpack, a bargain at less than £20 and a good introduction into the world of camera back-packs
But it was full, i couldn't get things in it the way i wanted, so it was time to upgrade, Welcome along the Tamrac Cyberpack 9

This rucksack is supposed to be only 3cm bigger than the Hama internally, but that's simply not the case at all, this bag is clearly bigger than the Hama as the photo below shows, the width is the same, but height and depth are totally different

tamrac_cyberpack9_2.jpg

the internal and external dimensions are:​
  • Tamrac: Internal: 290 x 150 x 360 cm External: 330 x 240 x 410 cm
  • Hama: Internal: 300x150x330mm External: 330x180x360mm
  • Weight: Tamrac:2381g Hama: 1150 g

Construction
This bag is very well made, the outer material is very tough feeling, all the straps, handles, buckles and belts feel solid, the only slight issue is that if you open the flap right up without getting the zip right round you can break the seal of the zip, so it doesn't work properly, you have to then mess about getting it back in position and resealing it. Could be an issue for some. That aside, the bag is excellent, pockets all over the place, room for lots of stuff, from pens and notepads and your mobile to a huge laptop storage area that is well padded at the back

tamrac_cyberpack9_3.jpg
tamrac_cyberpack9_4.jpg

Front pockets, with pockets in the pockets Laptop holding compartment, super thick padding

tamrac_cyberpack9_5.jpg
tamrac_cyberpack9_6.jpg

Inside front pouch yet more storage, batteries, memory cards, pens..
and whatever you can get in these 2 pockets

In Use
Well the kit i've got:
Canon 300d, Battery grip, sigma 70-300mm, tamron 28-75mm, sigma 500dg flash, lots of filters, cokin filters, 3 memory cards, 3 batteries(2 off camera all the time)and some odds and sods

All this got swallowed very easily, the 300d with grip barely fitted in the Hama, there is room to spare in this bag, the Sigma lens stands up in the bag, i actually haven't got enough kit to fill the bag. Amazing! The flash is in there under the tiffen filters, the cokin set fits in the main flap along with the 2 filters for the tamron lens, I've got 3 empty 'bays' in the bag for more lenses and i think i could get a monster lens in the middle
The only thing that i cant get in this bag is my tripod, i would need to hook it to the outside of the bag, which isn't a problem, there are plenty of hooks! the bag is designed to take any Tamrac accessories, so more space on the outside, lol

tamrac_cyberpack9_7.jpg

excuse the mess...

Summary
All in all, for around £80, i think this is a great bag, i haven't used it in anger yet, but i might well get out today and see what its like 'in the field' and when i do i will post my thoughts on it then

excellent, just going to order from the same place you did, cheers Matty :) The description of the internal size is a bit confusing though isn't it, I didn't expect there would be that much of a difference.

well indeed, very odd, but you can clearly see the camera disappearing in the damn thing!

Just to clarify something Matt, in the pic, do you have the battery grip fitted to the camera while it's sitting in the bag?

It must be quite a deep bag if it is! I'm wondering if you'd be allowed to take this on a plane as hand luggage :ponders:

i think Matt has the grip fitted for the review,

and yes , you can take that size bag on as hand luggage , as its a camera bag, i took a very large Lowepro Nature Trekker AW II on a BA and Qontas flight to Oz last year, with no problems

MyPix

yup, grip fitted, VERY deep bag!

Thanks for the conformation.

I'm really quite surprised at it's depth especially as it also has room for a laptop and other pockets aswell as that deep camera compartment, it's the depth issue that has me a bit worried about taking it on a plane as it's a good bit deeper than Easyjet's size guide (especially with a tripod strapped to it aswell)... but with MyPix saying he had no problems I might just give it a try, seems pretty good for £60

Thanks for the good review Matty :thumb:

no probs, it is a sturdy bag, the tripod ive now got is heavy too, so the 2 items together on a nice day out will weigh some!

I ended up going for the Cyberpack8 and it's a great bag. As Matty says build quality is fantastic, really sturdy, loads of room. The 20D and grip virtually disappears.

i actually think i wont fill this bag up, i have ALL my kit in it, and still got room to spare, i will definately be able to get the laptop in it and take sooooo many mediochre images, cant wait for the weather to improve!!!

Ha-Ha.

I'm looking for a smaller bag - not because I can't fill the Dri-Zone, but because it's too big to carry on my back once the cameras are out of it.

Looking very hard at a Med-Lge Crumpler courier bag (PIzza Delivery Boy or some-such) in Khaki...

Matty said:
All in all, for £60
That's a good price mate, where'd you get it for that? everywhere else seems to have it for a good bit more.

it was on ebay, Aspen of Hereford, they sell them regularly, very good value and very good service.

..bummer...keep an eye out though as they do change the prices often!

Back