TAMRON 10-24 f3.5-4.5 Di II VC HLD

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
I’m thinking about getting this lens for my D500.Anyone have this lens or have any experience with it?
Any comments will be much appreciated
Thanks
Ian

I had the non VR version of this lens on my Nikon D7000, that may, or may not be identical optically. I found at 10mm it had substantial distortion towards the left and right edges of the frame in landscape mode. For landscapes, this wouldn't matter too much, but for any shots such as with people at the edge of the frame, it was a non starter and thus limited the usefullness of the lens for me. I sold mine on when I moved to Full Frame and replaced it with a Sigma 12-24mm Mk 1, which is a full frame lens and substantially wider when fiited to a Full Frame Camera. The Sigma has minimal distortion at 12mm and so is much more useable. Sigma and Tokina both do wide angle equivalents for crop sensor Nikons, but I have no experience with either of these.

Thanks for your reply Harvey,I still can’t make up my mind on which DX lens to get if any.
Like you I’ve thought about full frame but I like my d500 too much to swap.
Maybe if I can find a ff camera at a reasonable price it may warrant having both systems.
The d750 looks a good option,what camera did you get?
Any one else had a similar problem regarding landscapes and DX lenses and which way did you go?
Recommendations for a landscape lens on a d500 welcome.
Thankyou
Ian

Well, I have a D500 and have opted to slowly build up FF lens set in case I eventually can get a FF Nikon to supplement the D500, and because you seem to be able to get more and better lenses for FF. So for landscapes I have the Sigma 24-35 f2 Art, and will in due course probably get the 12-24 to complement that plus a 70-200 of some variety (I have the Sigma 150-600C for birding etc). I really like the 24-35, giving a FF equivalent on the D500 of circa 35-55 which I am happy with for most landscapes, and I couldn't believe the clarity and smoothness and quietness of focusing when I first used it.

Thanks Lindsay,i will have a look at the Sigma wasn't sure 35mm would be wide enough.

I moved to a secondhand Canon5D2 in early 2014. All my Nikon lenses were DX lenses so I needed a new lens set regardless. This was at the time of the D600 self oiling sensor debacle and I thought Nikon burying their collective heads in sand unacceptable. That camera would have been a logical next step, the D800 was too expensive at the time and the D610 fix hadn't appeared. I still have the 5D2 now, it produces lovely pictures but it is somewhat dated by modern standards. What to replace it with is a challenge, I think that Canon bodies have fallen behind the competition and the deliberate neutering or omission of features a mistake. I also shoot M4/3, so have got very used to IBIS and 4K.

Back