Tamron 100-400mm f4.5-6.3 Di VC USD or Sigma 100-400mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM

hashcake

Gone to pot!
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m itching to get back into wildlife photography and having previously owned a MK1 Canon 100-400 and although the used prices have dropped since I owned one, the Tamron and Sigma 100-400s prices for a new one are not far of the price of the used Canon.

I can’t justify the cost of the Canon 100-400 MK2 so I’m wondering if the 2 third party lenses IQ is on par with the Canon MK1.
I’ve read reviews on both lenses but I’d like to hear from people who use them.
I’ve been leaning towards the Tamron as a certain grey market seller is selling them for under £500.
However, with them the warranty is only for 1 year and a genuine imported UK lens has a 5 year warranty.

I’ve got a 20% off code for Very but they only stock the sigma but their price is dearer than the best price I can find on camerapricebuster.
However, with the discount code this bring the price down to £80 less than the best price on camerapricebuster.
I’ve previously owned Tamron lenses and been happy with them but I’ve avoided Sigma because over the years I’ve read quite a bit about people returning them for having a bad copy.

I know that there is a slim chance of someone having owned both the Tamron and Sigma but it would be good to hear the views of members who have used them and why they swayed towards one over the other.

I haven't used both however I did try the Canon Mount Sigma 100-400 on my Sony A7riii using an adaptor and from an image quality perspective I had no issues with it, seemed a very nice lens from that perspective, it didn't play all that well with the adaptor though so I sold it on - on a native Canon body I doubt you would have any issues.

It's the focus speed and accuracy that I would be concerned about with either of these two third-party lenses. Would they be as quick and accurate as the Canon, particularly if using AI or servo AI focus to track a moving object?

It's the focus speed and accuracy that I would be concerned about with either of these two third-party lenses. Would they be as quick and accurate as the Canon, particularly if using AI or servo AI focus to track a moving object?

None of the reviews I've read have mentioned anythings about the focus speed and accuracy being an issue as such.
Bearing in mind how old the Canon MK1 is, I would expect them to be on par with this lens seeing as they are far newer models.

I’ve been looking at both these lenses and the Tamron looks the better lens, AF and IS are better, and sharpness wise similar. I prefer the rendering of the Tamron, but that’s personal preference.

I’ve been looking at both these lenses and the Tamron looks the better lens, AF and IS are better, and sharpness wise similar. I prefer the rendering of the Tamron, but that’s personal preference.

Too be honest I tend to agree as most reviews give a preference towards the Tamron.
It's a shame that Very don't stock Tamron lenses as I would have jumped at it with 20% discount.

Last edited:
I have the 100-400 II and in combination with a 7D2 it's excellent, but I have heard good things about the Sigma 100-400.

Thanks for that, I'm surprised and impressed on how well he rated the Tamron against the Canon MK2
Yes it seems like 95% of the mk2 lens for I don’t know half the cost?

As a Nikon man it seems like the Tamron is 150% of the Nikon 80-400 (which is crap) and incredibly expensive to boot.

I’m kinda weighing up this or the Tamron 150-600G2 or the Nikon 200-500.

Depending how you carry your gear remember the Tamron can take a tripod mount for a black rapid type strap.

Yes it seems like 95% of the mk2 lens for I don’t know half the cost?

As a Nikon man it seems like the Tamron is 150% of the Nikon 80-400 (which is crap) and incredibly expensive to boot.

I’m kinda weighing up this or the Tamron 150-600G2 or the Nikon 200-500.
Which Nikon body do you have? The reason I ask is that the 153point AF system on the newer Nikons doesn’t play nice with Tamron f6.3 lenses at the longer focal lengths (you get reduced number of AF points that work beyond circa 520mm). That being said it’s still lighter and cheaper than the Nikon 200-500mm and according to a number of reviews sharper at the long end too, plus you get full usage up to 520mm and can still use 37(IIRC) focus points beyond 520mm.

Which Nikon body do you have? The reason I ask is that the 153point AF system on the newer Nikons doesn’t play nice with Tamron f6.3 lenses at the longer focal lengths (you get reduced number of AF points that work beyond circa 520mm). That being said it’s still lighter and cheaper than the Nikon 200-500mm and according to a number of reviews sharper at the long end too, plus you get full usage up to 520mm and can still use 37(IIRC) focus points beyond 520mm.
Currently a D600 but only till the D7(6)0 arrives or the D850 drops a little bit.

Back