Tamron 150-600

I have and the near focus distance is rather too far away. In the open, that is not a major problem but it is in an enclosed environment such as a wood or a footpath between hedges. I now use a 300 mm lens for insects in the field.

I have and the near focus distance is rather too far away. In the open, that is not a major problem but it is in an enclosed environment such as a wood or a footpath between hedges. I now use a 300 mm lens for insects in the field.
For that sort of environment I would probably use a macro lens. I took a damelsfly and butterfly with it over the weekend, I will upload them when they are sorted out.

I have used both my 200-400mm with 1.4 converter, so 560mm and my 300mm with 2x converter to do exactly as you say. It also gives a nice out of focus background.

If the background is busy like the op's picture it will always look busy but getting a shot from above will be limited by the minimal focus distance I usually use manual focus as well as the AF point is too large sometimes.. I use my 150-600mm Sigma C quite a bit for Dragonflies this one is full frame on a 7Dii at mfd of 2.8m manual focus.

Migrant Hawker 600mm full frame (Aeshna mixta)
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

I don't think a macro lens would be any good at 3m where as 600mm works a treat.

Last edited:
If the background is busy like the op's picture it will always look busy but getting a shot from above will be limited by the minimal focus distance I usually use manual focus as well as the AF point is too large sometimes.. I use my 150-600mm Sigma C quite a bit for Dragonflies this one is full frame on a 7Dii at mfd of 2.8m manual focus.

Migrant Hawker 600mm full frame (Aeshna mixta) by Martin Billard, on Flickr

I don't think a macro lens would be any good at 3m where as 600mm works a treat.
How did you manual focus on that? Was it hand held?

How did you manual focus on that? Was it hand held?
I have back button focus set up on both my cameras so the shutter button does not start AF or if you don't have that switch the lens to manual. With the sigma I balance the lens foot on the palm of my hand and the focus ring is then nicely in place to be turned with my thumb and middle finger. I don't use OS for these shots either as the shutter speed takes care of any movement. Most dragonflies patrol up and down their patch so I look for a spot where they will stop on a regular basis and where the background is uncluttered, I then focus on a bit of grass or bank about the same distance as the dragon is flying then it is a matter of tracking the dragon and focusing at the same time. They are very contrasting to the background so it is not too difficult to see when it is in focus, when it is press the shutter and keep tracking for another shot. Make sure you view finder is properly focused. It gets easier with practice and is a lot easier than trying to AF on them in my opinion. I shot in Manual with shutter speed between 1/800 and 1/1250 f8-f11 depending on light and angle dragon is at, auto ISO or what ever looks about right at the time. It is pretty addictive but worth it when you nail a few shots. The Sigma is not my first choice I do prefer my 300f4 with 1.4TC as it is much lighter but it works.

Back