Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC

You can add me to the list of those who win champion the Tamron. I've got the 17-50 non-vc and I wouldn't give it up for anything. I shoot concerts every month with it and it's never let me down. Maybe the Canon would offer some slight improvements, but they're certainly not worth the difference in cost to me. If something happened to my Tamron, I'd go out and replace it immediately without a second thought.

Just picked up my tamron 17-50 f/2.8 vc

I also have a used Tamron 17-50 Vc and am really pleased with it. I find the VC very useful handheld in low light. I have not had any problems with the AF focus or speed and knew than Canon 17-55 was way out of my budget so I didnt even try it so cant compare.

vickylou said:
I also have a used Tamron 17-50 Vc and am really pleased with it. I find the VC very useful handheld in low light. I have not had any problems with the AF focus or speed and knew than Canon 17-55 was way out of my budget so I didnt even try it so cant compare.

It's a stunning bit of glass and I had been trying to decide for some time now between the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 vc and the Canon 15-85 is usm f3.5-5.6 and I finally took the plunge and went for the Tamron. The decision was made easy for me once I'd tried the f/2.8 constant aperture throughout the zoom range! The VC works so well I just tried some shots at home with and without VC and on screen there was no difference until I blew 'em up to 100% and it was crystal clear that the shots taken with vc were much sharper and I think the AF is pretty fast to for a non USD motor.

lucky_13, can you posy some shots please as I'm also on the look out for a VC or non VC Tamron.
thanks

mithrandir said:
lucky_13, can you posy some shots please as I'm also on the look out for a VC or non VC Tamron.
thanks

I posted some on my Flickr, just search for Victory8ball that's my Flickr name, theres not a great deal of pics just a few.

Where does this non VC better than the VC come from,I have had the VC version for 6 months now and it is bitingly sharp

Hi Captain,

take a look at photozone, they tested both and the non vc has the edge in sharpness. But i've got the vc, and am also happy with it.

Rapscallion said:
Hi Captain,

take a look at photozone, they tested both and the non vc has the edge in sharpness. But i've got the vc, and am also happy with it.

Yeah as mentioned before that was the case with previous models but it has been corrected.

Hi Billy,

it was re-tested on the D7000 June last year, along with the non-VC version.

Rapscallion said:
Hi Billy,

it was re-tested on the D7000 June last year, along with the non-VC version.

Oh ok. I'm very happy with mine tho and I find the vc very useful and use it all the time, but I do understand that there is copy variations so it might be worth testing a couple before picking one.

I've done a lot of research into the best APSC 17-50 (55) for Canon and read an interesting thread recently which said the AF Micro Adjustment feature on the 7D is necessary if buying the Tamron 17-50 VC. Being able to fine tune it gets the best from the lens and each time you reattach it the settings revert to your finely tuned set up. I know every copy is different but my concern was picking up a bad one as I've also read a number of threads where people have had to try 2 or 3 before they drop on a good copy. Owning a 60D which doesnt feature the AF Micro Adjustment option has meant Im thinking of going with the Canon 17-55, for the price though it will have to be second hand

Reggie Jones said:
I've done a lot of research into the best APSC 17-50 (55) for Canon and read an interesting thread recently which said the AF Micro Adjustment feature on the 7D is necessary if buying the Tamron 17-50 VC. Being able to fine tune it gets the best from the lens and each time you reattach it the settings revert to your finely tuned set up. I know every copy is different but my concern was picking up a bad one as I've also read a number of threads where people have had to try 2 or 3 before they drop on a good copy. Owning a 60D which doesnt feature the AF Micro Adjustment option has meant Im thinking of going with the Canon 17-55, for the price though it will have to be second hand

Why not pop in to a local jessops and try 2 or three and choose one that ur happy with! I think that is wiser than blowing a lot more money or even going second hand! But of course that is just my opinion. I tried 2 copies in the shop and the staff was happy enough to help.

Reggie Jones said:

As useful as AF micro adjust is (one of the reasons I chose the 50d over the 60d) I wouldn't say it's a pre-requisite to owning the Tamron any more than any other lens.

You get copy variations even with Canon/Nikon lenses.

Last edited:
Why not pop in to a local jessops and try 2 or three and choose one that ur happy with! I think that is wiser than blowing a lot more money or even going second hand! But of course that is just my opinion. I tried 2 copies in the shop and the staff was happy enough to help.

Good point, I change my mind from one day to the next, every time Ive gone to Jessops on the off chance they have only had one copy, going to try this weekend, I'll give them a call and make sure they have a few of the 17-50VC and a 17-55, tried them separately but it is difficult to compare in a shop.

Was there a major difference in the 2 you tried? Other than feel, build AF noise/speed, etc can you or anyone tell me what I should be looking for or can test in the shop? or what to look for when comparing 2 copies of the same lens? (Sorry, dont mean to hijack the thread, happy to start a new one if required)

You worry too much.

If the shot looks good, then it's good. People get far too anal about "copies" of lenses.

odd jim said:
You worry too much.

If the shot looks good, then it's good. People get far too anal about "copies" of lenses.

Lol that is true

Reggie Jones said:
Good point, I change my mind from one day to the next, every time Ive gone to Jessops on the off chance they have only had one copy, going to try this weekend, I'll give them a call and make sure they have a few of the 17-50VC and a 17-55, tried them separately but it is difficult to compare in a shop.

Was there a major difference in the 2 you tried? Other than feel, build AF noise/speed, etc can you or anyone tell me what I should be looking for or can test in the shop? or what to look for when comparing 2 copies of the same lens? (Sorry, dont mean to hijack the thread, happy to start a new one if required)

I didn't bother trying the canon only the tamron, the display model gave a kinda hase around white writing on black back ground but the copy they got out of the box was very crisp on all apertures but it was razor sharp at f/5.6 (sweet spot) although as optically crisp as my lens is it's going back to be exchanged with another as it has a clicking noise as I zoom in past 24mm and it's very annoying! I think it's probably a ribbon cable touching somewhere that it shouldn't! Although this doesn't affect the image it is none the less annoying! Plus it could do damage to it over a period of time. So I called jessops and they've ordered me another copy which I will pick up and exchage the existing one by the end of the week.

Tried both lenses today. odd Jim is right it is ultimately about the photo and from the examples we have seen the Tamron produces a very very nice image. Its been debated all over the place but its down to personal preference, I need a fast lens and the Canon is better at 2.8, the AF on both Tamron lenses I tried was nosey and slower than the Canon, both these factors do not add up to £xxx more for the Canon, it is overpriced, but every time Ive read a thread on this someone has ended up returning their Tamron for a replacement or to upgrade. its the Canon for me

Reggie Jones said:
Tried both lenses today. odd Jim is right it is ultimately about the photo and from the examples we have seen the Tamron produces a very very nice image. Its been debated all over the place but its down to personal preference, I need a fast lens and the Canon is better at 2.8, the AF on both Tamron lenses I tried was nosey and slower than the Canon, both these factors do not add up to £xxx more for the Canon, it is overpriced, but every time Ive read a thread on this someone has ended up returning their Tamron for a replacement or to upgrade. its the Canon for me

Good luck mate, as u say Canon is better but not £500 better @ £850 it is over priced! I would buy the canon if it is priced around £500-550
as far as AF goes one lens is USM the other isn't

Last edited:
Picked up the replacement. Stunning and the zoom ring it's actually a lot smoother than the one I returned, copy variations!

Perhaps I'd better try a couple more! the price difference is a lot, I do worry to much don't I. Glad to hear your replacement is better

Reggie Jones said:
Perhaps I'd better try a couple more! the price difference is a lot, I do worry to much don't I. Glad to hear your replacement is better

****! Spoke too soon after some thorough testing it turns out the replacement is miss focusing and it's very soft all around but the centre but only @ f5.6 anything below that was unusable, actually my kit lens was better than the last copy. I returned it and got a refund so I'm afraid I'm done with the Tamron although I will try the 24-70 f2.8 once it has been rereleased. But on the mean tim I'm back on the market for another lens!
Canon 15-85
Canon 18-135
Canon 24-105
Any other suggestions welcomed
Does anyone know anything about hdewcameras.co.uk?

I was considering getting the tamron to compliment my 28-135 but I am not sure now. There doesn't seem to be much consistency in their build process.

gblades said:
I was considering getting the tamron to compliment my 28-135 but I am not sure now. There doesn't seem to be much consistency in their build process.

I would still have a go @ tamron it just means you'll have to try 2-3-5 different copies before ur happy with one, at the price it's a stunning lens if u can find a good one.

Thanks. As jessops seem to be the cheapest I suppose there is no harm in trying as I can take the camera along and give it a quick test in the shop first.

Back