Tamron, 17-50

Or this (which I've since printed out as a 20"x30" poster).

7747725840_552056c17b_b.jpg

Last edited:
this gonna be endless debate ..... it all depend what you prefer. Some prefer to have VC to deal with slow shutter speed but for some they hardly shoot those type of photo and when they do they use tripod then is not important for them.

Like someone mention, go and try. You can't go wrong with either.

Fantastic Dave, what settings did you use?

Exit should be viewable (I'm on my Nexus7 and cant check), but it was handheld at either 1/10 or 1/13th, f2.8, ISO 400 at 17mm.

-

Last edited:
Exit should be viewable (I'm on my Nexus7 and cant check), but it would be either 1/10 or 1/13th, f2.8, ISO 400 at 17mm.

Its not showing, but either way thats impressive (y)

Thanks (y)

Just had the idea to check it in Flickr, and this is what it's reporting:

Exif data

Camera Canon EOS 600D
Exposure 0.077 sec (1/13)
Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 17 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash Off, Did not fire

I have the non VC version and have to say pleased enough with it I saw a VC and ignored it .... the lens is great and not once have a had a meh imge from it unless i was in a meh mood ...

Yay! Got the lens yesterday. Not had the chance to play with it yet. Early thought are that it focuses the opposite way to my Canon lenses and it's quite noisy when it's hunting. Hmmmm

Would like to do a test to see how sharp it is, as it's the first lens I've bought new! Never done it before tho, what's the best way?

some people use some sharpness test chart (or what ever they call it) to test the sharpness/IQ etc.

but i just shoot some real subject and review the photo back on the computer.

Its first day out was at a wedding yesterday. A mixed bag really, just starting to go through all the photos now. Once we where at the reciption, for no reason 'error 01' came up :eek: :shake::( I said something along with contacts on camera/lens are dirty.

A quick reboot fixed it, but doesnt feel me with confidence really! It didnt throw up and error again.

A few other points, dont really like the focus ring with is opposite to what Iam normally used too. I would say its very nosiey aswell, but its the end result that matters to me!

Also question to the VC owners, at what point do you turn VC on?

I've just bought a non vc version from the classifieds on here and on my limited experience with it so far i'm impressed, that said i don't think it will totally replace the nifty, because the prime is nearly a stop faster , which can be important if shooting in very low light - like inside a church

Last edited:
Its first day out was at a wedding yesterday. A mixed bag really, just starting to go through all the photos now. Once we where at the reciption, for no reason 'error 01' came up :eek: :shake::( I said something along with contacts on camera/lens are dirty.

A quick reboot fixed it, but doesnt feel me with confidence really! It didnt throw up and error again.

A few other points, dont really like the focus ring with is opposite to what Iam normally used too. I would say its very nosiey aswell, but its the end result that matters to me!

Also question to the VC owners, at what point do you turn VC on?

Error 01 is normally dirty contacts, hopefully if you've given them a clean it should sort the problem.

With regard to VC, I tend to leave it on, and turn off when I think I won't need it. Forgetting its on and not needing it is preferable to forgetting its off when its needed.

I've just bought a non vc version from the classifieds on here and on my limited experience with it so far i'm impressed, that said i don't think it will totally replace the nifty, because the prime is nearly a stop faster , which can be important if shooting in very low light - like inside a church

Yup will be keeping mine too. Just hope it doesnt fall apart like my previous one! :eek:

Error 01 is normally dirty contacts, hopefully if you've given them a clean it should sort the problem.
I havent touched it tbh! Ive just taken it off my camera its in my camera bag. Its brand new...how would I clean it?

I leave mine on unless it's on a tripod.

Ok thanks :)

you can clean the contacts by rubbing (gently) with a pencil rubber

What are the perceived benefits of one or the other? Looking to buy one to upgrade my kit lens.

Yup will be keeping mine too. Just hope it doesnt fall apart like my previous one! :eek:

I havent touched it tbh! Ive just taken it off my camera its in my camera bag. Its brand new...how would I clean it?

Eraser or even a soft microfibre cloth. They are metal so a brisk rub won't do any harm.

What are the perceived benefits of one or the other? Looking to buy one to upgrade my kit lens.

There are a number of recent (long) threads about both if you read through this section.

On my phone, so just wondering a quick summary to be easier.. Thought it'd only be a couple of points.

On my phone, so just wondering a quick summary to be easier.. Thought it'd only be a couple of points.

Its not that simple, but as simple as possible. The nonVC is cheaper, slightly smaller and lighter and doesn't have VC.

The VC costs more and is slightly bigger and heavier.

Both are sharp lenses, many people like to say the non VC is sharper, but in my personal experience the VC is sharper and has slightly better colour and contrast. It also has effective VC, I can handhold down to around 1 second consistently with it.

Oh really! Didnt know thanks. Have you done it yourself? I would expect a brand new lens to have marks on it already tho

Ok cloth sounds a better idea I reckon

A bit of grease from a finger could cause a communication error, I tend to wipe the lens contacts every few weeks with a microfibre cloth.

A bit of grease from a finger could cause a communication error, I tend to wipe the lens contacts every few weeks with a microfibre cloth.

Damm! That all it takes! Ok well thanks for the heads up (y)

Oh really! Didnt know thanks. Have you done it yourself? I would expect a brand new lens to have marks on it already tho

cloth works better if you are just cleaning off grease etc - eraser works better if contacts are lightly tarnished (because the eraser is slightly abrasive) - ive done both loads of times, although it hasnt been necessary on my newly bought though s/h 17-50.

also don't forget that there are contacts on the camera as well - so even if the lens is new , it could be the camera set that are causing connectivity issues

Odd that the communication error has happened with a brand new lens!
I've only ever had it happen to one lens, a second-hand one. I found that a cloth didn't work, but an eraser did the trick. I didn't use it on the camera's contacts though, just the lens' contacts.

yep - its much more likely to be the lens contacts - (because they are more likely to get touched inadvertently) but if cleaning them doesnt help its worth carefullyn doing the camera ones too

Beav said:
Great thread. Im thinking of getting this lens but I can't afford the VC version. Hope the non-vc is still a good upgrade from my 18-55mm kit lens

It will still be a great upgrade.

I hear sigma's are slightly better build quality so I might get the 18-50mm sigma

For the equivalent IQ you should be considering the Sigma 17-50 rather than the older 18-50 (both have been tested at photozone.de if you want to check the reviews).

Back