Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 for Nikon

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get this lens, any thoughts? Any versions to look out for?
Any advice welcome.

Rob :)

I had/have the motorised NON VC version that i used before going full frame & it was pretty good. my D2Xs was quite picky with lenses & it seemed to like that one.
it took 2 goes to get a good one as the first one i had was a bit soft & seemed to underexpose, so not sure if it had a diaphram issue or not but the second one i got was much better.
its not as solid as the 17-55 f/2.8 Nikkor so you might have to take a bit more care when out & about but its pretty capable & they're certainly cheap enough (quite a bit lighter too) :)

I hear the non vc version is better. Also that the build quality isn't great but it is pretty sharp.

I have one, not used it as much as I'd like to have. Thinking about taking it for its second outing this weekend.

Have some pictures but can't seem to link fotopedia.

Thanks guys, loads to think about.

A little embarrassed as I didn't think of searching the forum beforehand. :-/

I blame the excitement of getting a new lens. :-D

Thanks guys, loads to think about.

A little embarrassed as I didn't think of searching the forum beforehand. :-/

I blame the excitement of getting a new lens. :-D

Don't worry I have done the same before. On the phone app at present so cannot see what other lenses you have, so the question is why do you want the Tamron 17-50? The reason I ask is that I wanted one as well but for now have decided to use what I have because apart from the f2.8 I do not think it will give me anything extra to what I already have.

I've just sold my Nikon 18-200mm so I'm looking to get the Tamron, I've also got a 70-300, 50 1.8 & 18-70.
I really love bokeh in my portraits. :)

It's one of the most asked about lenses across photography forums in general, for DX.

I had the older non-VC version and it was my favourite lens on DX, and I had many. You can get them pretty cheap used now.

That is the non vc one. I was looking at the same one. The only thing putting me off is various reviews stating issues with build quality. Also with the DR one you do not get the 5 year tamron warranty. If you buy from UK store you pay about £80 more but get the 5 year warranty.

I've read the reviews about quality too, the sigma is suppose to be better but at twice the price

Here is an example from the weekend

9503829892_eab8d646cf_b.jpg

It's was 2nd hand off the forum, build quality is not a problem as far as I can see :)

ive done a write up on the review of a VC one - dont belive internet fact - the non vc version is not any better... the VC is a must and i can hand hold shots at 1/4 of a second easily ! its a great lens and miss it greatly when upgrading to FF

non VC here, tis the mutts nuts in quality, just a shame it's not a great range for me.

Back