Tamron 18-200 both canon and Nikon under £100

Edit My Images
No
Both Amazon and Argos

I also ordered a cheap hood from eBay to protect the lens.
Linky

Got one off the forum for my eldest grand-daughter as her Xmas present. She was delighted with it.

Surprisingly good lens and a great reach for a 'walkabout'.

Tamron - Aspherical [IF] MACRO AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Lens-Suitable for Canon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0007XD4LC/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_0tjHwbT1XE6ZZ

The link lists the 4 available mounts but the Sony and Pentax mounts are £30-40 dearer.

It comes with a lens hood.

Last edited:
What's the general consensus regarding this lens? I'm looking to replace my old 18-55 and 55-200 (non-VR) Nikkor lenses with a decent walk about lens and can't shake the feeling that this one might compromise quality too much at this price point / focal range.

Would I be better off with something like a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 and a separate telephoto like a 70-300VR when funds allow?

FWIW I decided against this lens because there ate actually two models. If it were the VC model I'd have probably bought it bit think I'll now look at a shorter range in a 17-50 or similar.

FWIW I decided against this lens because there ate actually two models. If it were the VC model I'd have probably bought it bit think I'll now look at a shorter range in a 17-50 or similar.

The VC Model is £60 more at £159.99 so it won't break the bank. I tried the non-VC lens out and was surprised by it but I did not get it for me. My grand-daughter is delighted with it and so if she ditches her new hobby it is no great matter. Balanced out against the price of the must have IPhone 6 for selfies......

Like any situation it's horses for courses. I am playing around with a £7 pk-ef mount adapter on an EOS 20D with a Pentax M 50mm f/1.4. It's quite interesting but I have seen these 'old' lenses selling for as much as £110. So the Tamron 18-200, for the majority of hobbyists, would prove the better choice. For me it's a £7 investment to make use of old 35mm Pentax kit I bought new in 1982. First choice to go out for a day shooting though? The Tamron if that was the choice. (Reality is that is not the situation for me but for some it may just be).

Understandable for that price, totally. Personally, I'd just rather get something a little bit sharper and something that I'm going to really want to leave on the camera 99% of the time. As you say, for that price, it's hard to argue with what you get / should expect.

Lens arrived today and test shots are great. Light as a feather so will be easy to lug around when attached to the camera.

personally i wouldnt buy a superzoom again as barrell and pincushion distortion are pretty bad at either end (in general i mean ive not owned this particular one)

I ended up with a Sigma 18-250mm DC Macro OS which I purchased through the classifieds on here. At £145 I'm more than happy with it tbh and in fact used the lens for the latest of my Project 52 photos :)

Last edited:
Back