Name
Darren Robson
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Just joined the group,

Does any one have a Tamron 24-70 lens ?

I wanted the canon 24-70L but struggling with the cost :-(
Now av read reviews on the Tamron and was wondering if any of you have one and could give me your opinion .

Regards

Darren

Hi Lee
Glad it's ok for you. Well an lens hunting, waiting for some feed back about the Tamron 24-70

Evening Darren,
I have just finished unpacking my new lens so I thought I'd give it a try. here are the results
Criteria:
All images shot using Canon 60D set in manual. All shot in JPEG (L) with no other PP. I have never altered any of the settings in the camera as I never normally shoot JPEG.

First Impressions:
The lens feel very solid and the weather seal is a nice addition. The zoom and focus rings have a nice amount of resistance and move easily. have put comparisons photos against the EFS 18-55 USM (kit lens), to give an impression of size (those shots were taken with a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC). With regards to weight you know its there but it balances nicely. As to the focal length I don't know how this would be as a general lens on a crop body as at its widest it has an effective of 38mm. Another point to remember is that the focus ring (full time over ride) is towards the back of the lens. Also notice the zoom ring works in the opposite direction to Canon

58mm vs 82mm
by chpimaging, on Flickr

VS 18-55 Extended
by chpimaging, on Flickr

VS 18-55 Closed
by chpimaging, on Flickr

Due to size I have put the sample images on my Flickr and Dropbox, feel free to download

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zu0gw41u1pa3l8e/DdtkAChfxx

If you want to know anymore let me know

Last edited:
Evening Darren,
I have just finished unpacking my new lens so I thought I'd give it a try. here are the results
Criteria:
All images shot using Canon 60D set in manual. All shot in JPEG (L) with no other PP. I have never altered any of the settings in the camera as I never normally shoot JPEG.

First Impressions:
The lens feel very solid and the weather seal is a nice addition. The zoom and focus rings have a nice amount of resistance and move easily. have put comparisons photos against the EFS 18-55 USM (kit lens), to give an impression of size (those shots were taken with a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC). With regards to weight you know its there but it balances nicely. As to the focal length I don't know how this would be as a general lens on a crop body as at its widest it has an effective of 38mm. Another point to remember is that the focus ring (full time over ride) is towards the back of the lens. Also notice the zoom ring works in the opposite direction to Canon

58mm vs 82mm
by chpimaging, on Flickr

VS 18-55 Extended
by chpimaging, on Flickr

VS 18-55 Closed
by chpimaging, on Flickr

Due to size I have put the sample images on my Flickr and Dropbox, feel free to download

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zu0gw41u1pa3l8e/DdtkAChfxx

If you want to know anymore let me know

Can I ask where you got the lens from? Looking for one but prices seem very high. Always looking to save a few quid.

Be nice to see some shots take with the lens as well.

Last edited:
I bought this from Clifton Cameras, ordered 10pm Fri received 930 today. Worked out at £849. Not the quite the cheapest but great customer service. It is about £200 from Panamoz, I have used them in the past with no problems. Only reason I used Clifton was I bought a 5D3 at the same time and when you take into account the grip and software it worked out the same price.

As to pictures there is a link to a Dropbox with them in. They were taken in JPEG with no PP on a 60d. They are also on my Flickr page. All the EXIF should be intact. I will add some later in the week taken with the 5d3.

Last edited:
I have bought this lens yesterday from onestopdigital for £600, they seem to have good reviews, the lens will be a grey import but i am willing to have that for over £200 savings. Also if there is import duty onestopdigital will pay for it :) Should arrive in 3-4 days time taking into account bank holiday. I would have bought from panamoz but they are out of stock.

One thing I forgot to mention, when you press the shutter butter (or AF if you use Back Button Focus) there is a very quiet hum from the VC motor. I actually found this re-assuring as you can hear it after releasing the AF button. It is almost instant kicking in as well, my Sigma 150-500 OS has a delay of about a second

I have bought this lens yesterday from onestopdigital for £600, they seem to have good reviews, the lens will be a grey import but i am willing to have that for over £200 savings. Also if there is import duty onestopdigital will pay for it :) Should arrive in 3-4 days time taking into account bank holiday. I would have bought from panamoz but they are out of stock.

I would be very interested to hear if your order goes smoothly in particular if you get charged import duty and VAT.

I will update you :) either way they refund any VAT/ import charges if I get them. There is a form on their website to claim the cost back and according to feedback it's done within a day or two.

Used it extensively. Fabulous lens. Can't beat it for the money.

UPDATE

I have now uploaded all the RAW files to the Dropbox, there has been no editing carried out I have simply transferred them from the memory card.

Full Frame Performance

I have also taken test shots on my 5D3 for comparison.

At f/2.8 there is noticable vignetting however 1 click in LR fixes this, so I dont see it as a problem. You will also notice that there is an element of distortion but again this is easily remedied using the "lens correction" tool. The focus is fast and accurate.

I would be very interested to hear if your order goes smoothly in particular if you get charged import duty and VAT.

Lens arrived this morning so only took a few days. I had to pay import duty which was only £16. Paid on dhl website only took 2 mins. Now I just have to forward the email receipt to onestopdigital so they can refund me :) lens well packaged and in immaculate condition. Highly recommended

Lens arrived this morning so only took a few days. I had to pay import duty which was only £16. Paid on dhl website only took 2 mins. Now I just have to forward the email receipt to onestopdigital so they can refund me :) lens well packaged and in immaculate condition. Highly recommended

That's good news.:clap:I bet you cannot wait to try in out.:) They didn't give you a free filter by any chance did they?

I would be interested to hear what your objective opinion of it is before I bite the bullet. Are you going to use it on a FF or cropped body?

No free filter... Should there have been one? I will be using it in my 6D :)

I took a couple of random photos around the house. Seems good so far, VC is quiet and fast. Overall build quality is very good too

No free filter... Should there have been one? I will be using it in my 6D :)

I took a couple of random photos around the house. Seems good so far, VC is quiet and fast. Overall build quality is very good too

No there is no free filter listed on the site but one can hope.;) I too have a 6D so will be very interested to see just how good you think the IQ is and if it lives up to its reputation.

I hope you get a lot of fun playing with this.

My wife bought the tamron lens to go with her 5d 3 for weddings.
The first wedding she done with it the lens locked up on the body saying no lens attached!
She took the Lens off, reset the camera etc and still no luck.

We took the lens back and got the canon

My wife bought the tamron lens to go with her 5d 3 for weddings.
The first wedding she done with it the lens locked up on the body saying no lens attached!
She took the Lens off, reset the camera etc and still no luck.

We took the lens back and got the canon

Other 5d 3 owners have reported the same problem. Updating the camera's firmware seems to solve it. From my research it does not seem to happen on other bodies though. Unless others know different.

I have owned the Tamron for 4 months and cannot be happier with it. Focussing is as reliable as any L lens I have owned and the VC is certainly up to recent Canon IS standards. I have not had a single issue with it mated to my 6D. The lens was a very worthwhile upgrade from my 24-105, which was nowhere near as sharp at same apertures and focal lengths and suffered more distortion. The extra stop is also very handy.

Last edited:
if it had an internal zoom surely this would have made the housing longer?
however, I've bought one last week
so far so good
tried it in the studio and then in natural light
for price, I like it so far

Does anyone use this lens on 60D? I am so much in between Tamron 24-70 and Canon 24-105.

I thinking of moving from a canon 24-105 to a Tamron 24-70. As I'm not that pleased with the canon on my 5d mklll
I would like to go for the canon 24-70 2.8 mk2 but the price is too high,and the reviews of the Tamron seem quite good. Anybody done this ?

I've swapped my 24-105L in for a used Tamron not long ago. I was fairly happy with the Canon, it was a bit soft compared to my other lenses but not too bad, I just wanted a 2.8 again.

When I first got the Tamron there were some issues. The VC didn't work and it would backfocus terribly with the outer blocks of AF points. I sent it back, it got sent to Intro2020 and I received it back again today (just over 2 weeks turnaround).

The VC is great, the outer focus points work like a charm. It does seem to have a problem in AI Servo with the middle 5 vertical AF points (the double sensitivity ones), but every other point is spot on. At the moment I've decided that I'm going to keep it and just work around the issue because it is so sharp, wide open it's great, at f3.2 it's unbelievable. The focus (issue aside) is very fast, doesn't really feel any slower than the Canon.

Back