Tamron 24-70 g2 or Nikon 24-70 none VR

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,
I am on the look out for a 24-70 for my nikon d750. I have reservations about none native lenses as the last sigma lens I had was just aweful however the tamron 24-70 g2 has caught my eye. Due to funds it's between the tamron or the older nikon 24-70 g none vr version. It would be nice to have the vr which the tamron has but is it optically as good as the older nikon?

Hi

I have heard good things about the Tamron, if you are buying brand new then by all means go Tamron, if used then save up and go for the Nikon one.

I bought a 28-75 and was not happy had to send it off to Tamron to fix, cost as much as I had paid for the lens, and was still not happy. On the other hand I also have a 17-50 Tamron and it is it very sharp, so if buying a Tamron used make sure you test it well.

Ended up buying a Nikon non vr from here it is like new and very sharp, not used it much since buying.

Thank you

I have both Nikon and the 28 75 Tammy its the more desirable Tamron as recommended By Gary on here (RIP) A sports tog who knew his stuff! I can say the Tamron was a bought as a backup should the Nikon ever have an issue, But its as sharp and lives on my D500 at the moment and It gives great results!

The Nikon 24-70 f2.8 G non VR will take some beating, yes it is a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Like any pro lens you will get the best out of it if it is fine tuned to the camera. I prefer to use a match between camera and lens make as I think they pair up better.

Last edited:
I have a 24-70 G2 and bought it new against a used Nikon for about the same price. It’s a great and very sharp lens and I have no regrets at all. It reviews very favourably against the Nikon too.

Don't underestimate how useful that VC is in practical use! One option would be to find a used G1 version of the Tamron, and have a play. You can sell it on at no real loss if you don't get on with it. Same optical design as the G2, the G2 has better coatings and improved VC.

For VR I use my 24-120/4 but going for a 24-70 I had no hesitation going for the Nikon non-VR, the fact that 3rd gen lenses are rendered useless after firmware upgrades (and Sigma demand £40 to upgrade the lens to work again on a D810) makes me a slave to OEM.

Ater researching, I bought the 24-70 2.8 G2 to use with one of my D750's. A wonderful lens, I certainly don't regret it.

I think there was a case or two of some older sigma lenses not fully working after a Nikon camera fw update. All of course irrelevant now with the docks that allow firmware updates on the lenses.

I realise this is a huge spanner in the works but how does the sigma 24-105 stack up compared to these lenses? I realise it's f4 and different focal length but was messaged on here and they said they preferred it. It will be used for landscape.

I realise this is a huge spanner in the works but how does the sigma 24-105 stack up compared to these lenses? I realise it's f4 and different focal length but was messaged on here and they said they preferred it. It will be used for landscape.
Pretty much like its Nikon equivalents. Strong in the centre, weak in the corners.

Only irrelevant, of course, if you have those newer lenses with docks. Kind of important, though, if you have the older lenses that don't use docks.
Of course but this thread is about the new G2 Tamron.

I bit the bullet and went for the tamron. Just got it today how ever just put it on my camera and gone to do a quick dot tune to see where the focus is and the first dot that comes into focus is +20 and I can't go any further as 20 is the max. Is it a take it back job?

I bit the bullet and went for the tamron. Just got it today how ever just put it on my camera and gone to do a quick dot tune to see where the focus is and the first dot that comes into focus is +20 and I can't go any further as 20 is the max. Is it a take it back job?
I would get the tap in dock? Essential with any Tamron lens to get the best from it.

Back