Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 Di USD SP Coma issue?

Name
B
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone!

As some of you know, I have recently aquired a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 for Nikon, however, I have noticed that especially wide open at f2.8 it seems to have a lot of Coma. At first I thought the lens had a very 'dreamy' feel, and only when taking some test shots at night I noticed all light sources have this type of coma. Does someone in this forum have the same lens and can verify if this is a problem of this specific model, or just my lens?

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/159623673@N02/48837227061/in/dateposted-ff/

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/159623673@N02/48837227426/in/dateposted-ff/

Cheers!

edit: I also noticed that during a short focussing test, the right side of the image seemed to focus less sharp than the middle and left of the image. Could this be related to a shifted/not well aligned element in the lens?

Last edited:
I have the Canon version of this lens which I use on my 5D Mk2. I haven't experienced any issues with it at all, it produces lovely images and is very sharp in the centre of the image from wide open. I don't use it in low light as I swap to one of my M4/3 cameras for the benefits of IBIS. It looks likely there is indeed an issue with your specific lens.

I have the Canon version of this lens which I use on my 5D Mk2. I haven't experienced any issues with it at all, it produces lovely images and is very sharp in the centre of the image from wide open. I don't use it in low light as I swap to one of my M4/3 cameras for the benefits of IBIS. It looks likely there is indeed an issue with your specific lens.

Ah that sure is a shame. The rest of the lens is quite lovely, decent build quality, not too heavy and when stopped down very sharp. I don't think the shop where I bought it has a second one of these, so that would mean I need to look for alternatives. That sure is a shame.
I must say that the weird effect sure looks nice in some pictures (like the flowers), but that's an effect want/expect for a helga-type lens, not a high-end zoom.

Any clue what might cause such an issue? I was thinking misalignment of (one of) the lens elements inside.

I too have the Canon version with no signs of the issues you are having and agree with Harvey about the quality of the lens. You might be right that misalignment of the lens is the probable cause.

This might help test if the lens is decentered

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVD2Q-3HbVo

I just tried the test, and it seems that no element in the lens is de-centered. But still, holding the images side by side with a cheaper 18-140mm 3.5 to 5.6G ED you can clearly see that the 2.8 is having serious issues.
Tonight I will go back to the shop and see what they think of it.

Thank all you guys for your input, I will report back later.

Alright! The shop had another copy, needed to pay a bit extra since it was in better condition, but this one focusses fine and the difference is enormous. So for anyone in the future reading this thread, beware, this lens has quality control issues as I have read online and experienced myself as well. If you find a good copy its awesome though.

Back