Tamron 28-75 2.8 vs Sigma 24-70 2.8

Name
Stuart or just Stoo!
Edit My Images
Yes
Right guys, as the title says, if you was going to go for either one of them, which would it be and why.

The contestants are the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di and the Sigma’s 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM. They are both similar in price and I'm not able to afford the Canon 24-70 2.8, even second hand, otherwise I would of got one.
I'm going to be pairing it with a Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L MkII and it'll be used on a 5D3, a 60D and maybe a 650D if the wife needs to borrow it.

So for out and out IQ, build quality etc which would you have. BTW, I would like to see some pics with the lenses if you have any lol. (y)

Last edited:
Good thread.
Id be interested in this.

Was deciding between these 2 for my 5D3 and after all the "you need the 24-70 L" ive decided i dont.
I need one of these.

I had the same dilemma lol, went with the tamron as the reviews were generally better and I wanted the vr.
Not had much chance to try it out.... first tests with it I can notice the vignetting on my 5d2 and it's slightly soft at 2.8 in the centre, but the image quality overall looks lovely, great colours and the vr certainly works well, it's also very quiet and feels well made :) I've not had the chance to use it properly though so will report back after the weekend.

I have the Tamorn on a D300 - spent a long time looking at the reviews and eventually bought it from OSD for about £280 delivered.

It is sharp throughout the range and reasonably quick at focus although it does hunt a bit in very poor light. This was taken earlier in the year and if you look on my flickr there is a set for the lens.

Jessica
by Don't like to be Bored, on Flickr

HTH

Nick

After using Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L MkII you will really struggle with either, even canon mk1 is a little step down. Tamron is probably better of the two, but with that gear I'd wait and save for canon mk2 when it hits the market.

I had the same dilemma lol, went with the tamron as the reviews were generally better and I wanted the vr.
Not had much chance to try it out.... first tests with it I can notice the vignetting on my 5d2 and it's slightly soft at 2.8 in the centre, but the image quality overall looks lovely, great colours and the vr certainly works well, it's also very quiet and feels well made :) I've not had the chance to use it properly though so will report back after the weekend.

Thats a biggy for me. Thanks for that, think its made up MY mind :)

I have the sigma on my 7D. It is very quiet, reasonably quick to focus in most light, and I love the bokeh from it, and the fact that's it's quite compact compared with the Canon version. Although I've never used the L.
Check out this thread for loads of info and examples.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=650097

Negatives: have ongoing issues with front/ back focus when shooting wide open. So much so that I don't use it wide open for "work" at the moment. Need to get it sent back to sigma for calibration.

Thanks guys, not sure you've made it easier or hardeer to decide now lol.

James that link has almost persuaded me to go with the Sigma, I'm just a little worried about the focus issues as it'll be used on a 650D and a 60D that don't have MA. Having said that, I already have 2 Sigma lenses that haven't needed any MA to get a nice sharp photo.

Daugirdas, I know I'm spoilt with the 70-200 MkII, but I can't really justify a £2K for a hobby at the moment, it took me 3 upgrades to get to the 70-200 MkII (f4 non IS, f2.8 IS MkI > MkII) so maybe I should start off and work up to the 24-70 MkII.

Thanks guys, not sure you've made it easier or hardeer to decide now lol.

James that link has almost persuaded me to go with the Sigma, I'm just a little worried about the focus issues as it'll be used on a 650D and a 60D that don't have MA. Having said that, I already have 2 Sigma lenses that haven't needed any MA to get a nice sharp photo.

Daugirdas, I know I'm spoilt with the 70-200 MkII, but I can't really justify a £2K for a hobby at the moment, it took me 3 upgrades to get to the 70-200 MkII (f4 non IS, f2.8 IS MkI > MkII) so maybe I should start off and work up to the 24-70 MkII.

f/4 non-is is a cracker of a lens already, unlikely to be matched by these 2 3rd party zooms. I'd rather get 24-105 in that case for the start; with 5DIII you are unlikely to run out of light!

f/4 non-is is a cracker of a lens already, unlikely to be matched by these 2 3rd party zooms. I'd rather get 24-105 in that case for the start; with 5DIII you are unlikely to run out of light!

+1 on this

=========

my experience with both tammron and sigma, tamron has better iq, sigma has better build quality, and canon is the best!

OP, as I understand it, the focus issues can be hit and miss. If you get a good copy, it will be good! Mine was second hand( for a good price!) and I couldn't afford the L lens. Best bet, buy from a shop where you can test it out first?

I disagree.
Id rather have a faster lens in any situation.

F/2.8 really makes a huge difference. But maybe thats just the way i like to work.

Saving up for the 16-35 starts now.

Back