Tamron 35mm & 45mm 1.8 VC

First review I have seen:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/tamron_sp_35mm_f1_8_di_vc_usd_review/

£499 UK

£110 more than the Nikon 1.8g - not convinced its worth it, but will wait to see further reviews/samples and how much it is grey.

Its launch and to expensive imo, but nothing new, they all launch way to expensive in the UK market then drop swiftly. Id be interested in one of these purely for video stabilisation as Im already covered at 35 and 50 with ARTs.

Yeah, I think that was initial price of the Nikon too I think, probably wrong!

A hard sell at the current price vs the Sigma Art (particularly as there are plenty of those used about) unless you really need VC, the close focusing distance or the smaller size.

£499? Sigma Art can be had for that (grey)!

edit: I look like a parrot now. For some reason @ukaskew's post didn't show!

£499? Sigma Art can be had for that (grey)!

edit: I look like a parrot now. For some reason @ukaskew's post didn't show!

Yep - digital rev.

But the Tamron will come down in price to compete with the Nikon 35mm f1.8g, not so much the Sigma.

Plus for people looking for a smaller and lighter 35mm it makes perfect sense to me!

Just got round to reading the review @JJ!

One of the first things they say is..

Ease of Use
The Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di VC USD is quite big and bulky, measuring just over 8cms in length and weighing in at 480g

Hmm..

Big and bulky?!

If they said that about the Tamron what on earth do they think of the Sigma at 9.4cm and 665g!

Too early to say really as we haven't seen street prices yet but the review on photographyblog doesn't look too impressive to me

this does look quite interesting, obviously there to compete with sigma's 35mm 1.4A with a VC which would offer 2-3 stops in low light condition. the sharpness and bokeh from the link look very good especially the edge sharpness, looks highly impressive. interesting lens indeed.

This is quite an interesting read with plenty of image samples. They rate it sharper than the sigma. You can download some of the files too.

This was at 50mp on a 5Dsr - to me the lens looks pretty impressive.

http://blog.krolop-gerst.com/technik/review-tamron-sp-35mm-45mm-f1-8-di-vc-usd-english/

Conclusion
Eventually it all depends on the price tag. Tamron surely scores off the competition a little bit with their two new lenses. Of course we are talking about bits and bobs at a high quality level. Nevertheless Tamron has succeeded in setting a whole new dimension regarding the quality standard of camera lenses. Both new lenses are absolutely high-end and provide outstanding quality even for megapixel-monster cameras. Concerning the price we can only stay curious and say… just wait and see!

I am excited to get the 45mm I own the sigma art 35mm so wouldn't swap that for the 35mm tamron vc but I was looking to get a art 50 so going to wait for a few weeks to see how the 45mm comes out :)

I will probably go for the 35mm...

I'm holding off buying the Nikon version too see this one.

Will wait for a few more conclusive reviews and the price to settle, I'm really happy with my 35mm f2 IS but the 45mm might be a temptation I've been thinking about the new 50mm STM to replace my now departed 50mm f1.4 but the Tamron could be serious competition the Sigma ART is just to big for me!

Yeah I'm definatly waiting for price drops before I make up my mind what to do.

I still have no idea what lens I am after lol

Does it have a solid gold mount?! I'm out!

What a shame, £580 at WEX.

It's not a difficult FL to handhold >1/50s on shutter in most light - the IS might well save a stop or two (genuinely effective IS) but it's competing with the 50/STM/1.8.

Does the 45/VC have weather sealing?

Given the price and little to no UK specific info on these I've just gone for a Sigma 35 Art (again), £530 from Amazon Warehouse.

Replacing the 28 and 50 in my wedding bag for Saturday. If they can hit £400 at some point with these I might be tempted to try one out.

Black Friday deals bring lens down to £499. Still too expensive for me!

Get one bought! The rendering of the OOF areas looks sweet!

Does look good but I can't justify £500 on 1 prime right now! You can pick up the Nikon 35/85 combo for around that price!

Back