Tamron 70-200 stuck apperture control

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
ARRRRGHHHH!!!!!

Just went to use my 70-200 and there's no control of the aperture. In the mount the wee blade that controls the aperture can be moved manually and does control the aperture but it's lost all it's springiness and the camera can't control it.

It's the 70-200 VC A09 model not the newest G2 but one before it. I bought it used so no warranty. Anyone recommend where to get it repaired or have any idea what I'll be looking at for costs?

Does the camera control it? Has it for a llock on the ring that’s switched back to manual?

Does the ring move ?

There's no aperture ring so on the lens all control is by the lever on the mount, it's a nikon mount. I can manually move the aperture lever on the mount and the aperture blades move as normal but the lever should be sprung loaded so it pings back to closed but on this there is no spring action and when mounted on the camera the the aperture is not being changed when you take a photo and just stays wherever the lever was set. The lens focuses and shoots ok but unless I want to do everything at f2.8 I'm kinda screwed.

AAnyone recommend where to get it repaired or have any idea what I'll be looking at for costs?
Intro 2020 are the Tamron UK distributors and official repair agents. They're just down the road from me in Maidenhead; not so convenient for you but of course they'll do it by post. They're pretty helpful and if you give them a call they should be able to give you an estimate.

Cheers Stewart just looking at the tamron service site and see there details, usual they won't give estimate on phone but only risking shipping costs to get them to quote. Any idea what they're like for prices?

Anyone ever attempted to remove the bayonet mount off a nikon lens wondering if it's maybe just spring came loose?

Any idea what they're like for prices?
My service records for Tamron 150-600mm lenses. All prices include VAT but not postage because they're local for me.
  • Feb 2018, sticky zoom, £320
  • Sept 2017, impact damage, £525
  • Aug 2017, back focusing, £0 (warranty)
  • Aug 2017, zoom seizure, £164
  • June 2017, wobbly rear barrel, £60
  • July 2016, impact damage, £359
  • Nov 2015, rubber grips replacement, £30
  • Aug 2015, impact damage, £229
Hmm. Not sure how useful that is for you. The June 2017 one is quite encouraging though, as it suggests that simple repairs can be pretty cheap.

A lot of impact damage!

And not so much sucking of teeth by the technician!!! [emoji23]

arrgh, just got quote back

Fault:
Aperture Faulty

Action:
Dismantle lens and replace parts listed below.
Check collimation and resolution power.
Full clean, check and test.

Parts:
1G lens (Top Section) 50.00
1G Botton Section 50.00
Rear Barrel Support Ring Assy 8.11
Filter Screw Frame 10.44

Subtotal Parts 118.55
Labour 75.00
Packing/carriage 8.50
Subtotal 202.05
VAT 40.41
Total 242.46

so quite a bit more than I'd hope anyone know what the top and bottom sections would be, there was no damage to lens as far as I could see and focusing and photos were fine apart from camera not being able to control aperture. Do you think it would be worth querying what the parts are for with Intro 2020?

Back