Review Tamron 70-300mm Telephoto Lens

Name
Bartosz Wozniak
Edit My Images
Yes
I just wanted to review this lens, since I tried it and wasnt very happy with it. I just wanted to warn you really.

It is a nice lens, for the first look. It has an ok focal range and a very good macro, however when you start using it, you find that it isnt as good as it looks. First of all the auto focus can be VERY slow at times. Also at the higher end of the focal length (about 280-300) the pictures are not as sharp as you would like them to be.

Advantages:
- A really great macro for such a lens. You can get pics that you couldnt with other such lenses.
- Good focal range covering 70-300
- A GREAT price for what you get (about £120 new)

Disadvantages:
- Pictures can be a little soft, and not as sharp as other lenses
- The AF is really really slow and quite noisy.
- The ergonomics arent as good as the canons lower range lenses. I just did not find this lens fit into my hands as well

Thanks for reading
Bart

i have one of these reserved at jessops to pick up tomorrow
would you recomend it or go for a better lens
i am just starting out really moving up from a g10 so any help appreciated

I mean it depends on what you will be using this lens for. It is definitely good value for money, but as I said, it does have some big disadvantages. IF you have only just stepped up from a G10, then maybe this will be for you. But definitely have a walkabout lens as well. Don't buy this, if this would be your only lens to have. For a cheap walkabout I suggest the 18-55 of course ;)

Good Luck

I have one of these and a Sigma 70-300, the Tamron is better above 200mm. The Sigma drops off here and is no better at 300 than 200 interlpolated up. For the money £120 or so, the Tamron is good value. In fact it's a lot of lens, but I would not pay more than this. Both are consumer lenses and compared with professional lenses are poor though. Awkward handling, slow autofocus, hunting autofocus and not pin sharp pictures. My Sigma was just a back up, now my Tamron is the back up and I will sell the Sigma. If you are wanting macro however these are amazing value as for some reason they work best here. I had a Tamron 180mm macro (£750 list) and found it amazing at true macro, IE just up to a few inches, but at close focus, IE 12 inches away and above, it was not as good as these consumer zooms. I hope this helps and does not confuse.

Another major problem with this lens is purple fringing. It hates white with a passion and doesn't perform in really bright light.

For what it's worth, I bought this lens with my Sony 300 from Jessops earlier this year. I have used it regularly and I am delighted with the results. It does tend to hunt a little but once its locked on it's fine. I have seen litlle evidence of purple fringing and it's certainly sharp enough. On macro setting, the results are superb. Its light so you can lug it about all day and doesn't take up a lot of space in the bag. For 120 quid I think it's great value for money.

Im with snaphappy, I also have the lens, and was fortunate enough to get it in the chrimbo sales for £99!

For the money v newbie learning, it is a steal. Images are fine, I am more than happy with them. Yes the af does hunt in low light, but I have not noticed purple fringing as yet.

Its not pin sharp, but then I did not expect it to be for the money.....

i found it to be very ood and for the money very good, heres some pics rom mine,
IMGP5181-1.jpg

IMGP4709.jpg

IMGP5549b.jpg

mine also seems fine for me.
i take a lot of animal pictures, i.e zoo shots and reptiles,macro of flowers and such and it's yet to let me down

Mines fine too....I have the Nikon fitting version ...OK its not the fastest focusing lens I have used ...but it beats the pants of the Nikon 70-300m Nikon G

I had a look through one of these today at my local Jessops store. I went in to have a look at the 450D and talk to them about it and the bloke who helped me said that if you buy a camera then you can get that lens for £119 at the same time. Otherwise its £160.

He suggested it to us as we show our dogs and it should allow us to get some decent enough pics (for newbs) from a slight distance, like ringside.

Not sure if that helps anyone but just figured I'd mention it.

I had one of these when I got my first DSLR. It wasn't a bad starter zoom for me.

Some images I took with it can be found here.

Never liked the lens since I got it in Oct last year when I got my kit, however, I do like the macro range at 180 only, 300 is a bit naff for me, its quite good for wasps/bee's and the like that you can get close but keep some distance. My 60mm macro would probably be too close and scare them off lol

for the price it offers alot to a starter though as it teaches you about the focal range and what you might need in the future, helps you develop in ways.

Last edited:
It's an ok lens if you know the cons. IMHO it has massive CA as well + soft at even f8. pluss the other stuff mentioned. but anyway - for the price - I think it's the best .

For the money it's OK, but, definately not great...

I upgraded mine quickly to the Canon 70-300 IS USM (ok alot more money) and immediately noticed a massive difference in the quality of the shots.

Back