D

Deleted member 66768

Took delivery of one of these today and it is yet another stinker from Tamron

Never buying another Tamron lens again for as long as I live

I'm sorry to hear that.

What happened?
What's your complain?

Last edited:
I'm sure the consensus of opinion over the years is that the older non VC version was the one to have. Thats a shame though, nothing worse than getting a nice new lens and it disappoints.

I recall @minnnt had one and he said the AF was painfully slow. It's good knowing someone like him who has GAS as more than likely, he's tried it already ;)

The actual speed of the AF is way way faster than the old one and the VC is very good. No good though when the image is absolutely pants. People say sigma has bad QC lol I've never seen a dud to good copy ratio like tamrons

AF will never be fast on a macro lens - its just not what they're for, but it isn't bad.

One thing it should be though is sharp.

I've got 2 of the non VC versions of this lens, one Canon fit and the other Nikon fit, bought new but at a much reduced price compared to the list price. The push pull AF/MF lens barrel switching takes a bit of getting used to, but other than that, both lens do exactly what they should do and produce sharp images when stopped down a little. I have used the Nikon version in the Studio on a D7000 and it was fine for that too, given enough room to back up when necessary. No issues with a 10-24mm and 70-30mm VR lenses either, although the build quality isn't up to Canon or Nikon standards and they probably wouldn't fare too well with heavy use or rough treatment. The 10-24mm does need stopping down more however, to achieve reasonably sharp image corners, best at around F8. A shame the OP has not received a good copy.

Digital rev want to inspect the lens in their repair centre. Never had this sort of nonsense from any other retailers I buy gear from

I had that with digital rev on a 7D I had issues with years ago, as I'd used their eBay arm I had to send it back to Hong Kong, it took them ages too

I had that with digital rev on a 7D I had issues with years ago, as I'd used their eBay arm I had to send it back to Hong Kong, it took them ages too

They are shocking to deal with here. Threatening with costs etc

Why would I want to send a lens back if there was no issue

Never ever will I use or suggest them to anyone

Well in fairness to digitalrev, it doesn't sound faulty just that you bought a not very good lens and now want your money back.

Well in fairness to digitalrev, it doesn't sound faulty just that you bought a not very good lens and now want your money back.

Want me to post a few samples for you mate ? I know the difference between a faulty lens and non faulty lens

I use my lenses professionally and it's kind of important that it works as it should. You might not know how to tell the difference in a duff lens but I do matey

Personal insults aren't going to get you anywhere, 'matey'

What constitutes a faulty lens then? What evidence is there that it is faulty?

Have Tamron stated a defined level of sharpness, below which the lens is therefore below manufacturing tolerances?

I'd normally be on the side of the consumer, but you are acting a bit entitled, IMO

Last edited:
Personal insults aren't going to get you anywhere, 'matey'

What constitutes a faulty lens then? What evidence is there that it is faulty?

Have Tamron stated a defined level of sharpness, below which the lens is therefore below manufacturing tolerances?

I'd normally be on the side of the consumer, but you are acting a bit entitled, IMO

I've used enough lenses to know when one isn't right.

Conversely I've just bought a Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 vc and it's as sharp as a tack. Even at 2.8. It's actually sharper than the Nikkor 24-70 I've been renting, so Tamron lenses aren't all bad.

Sorry to hear you've got a bad example though. The 90mm was next on my list to buy, guess I'll do some more research see if this isa common problem.

Sounds like a bad copy to me, one of the disadvantages of buying grey is it can be harder to send stuff back for not meeting a standard you expect. Hopefully you get it sorted!

I had the 90mm VC macro? Is this the one you are talking about as that was as sharp as a pin.

Are you sure it wasnt front/back focusing?

Only issue I got it had fungus within a year and they refused warranty repair...

Definitely a dud you have.

Last edited:
Apologies if I have come across as rude but I know a good and bad lens! Af adjust didn't help the matter either.

I know there is good and bad copies of all lenses

Yes it is the 90mm VC

I will send the lens back to them and just take the hit on the delivery

Sounds like you've been a bit unlucky with a bad copy, never had any issue with Tamron's QC and I've got this and other lenses. The AF isn't rapid but its certainly faster than some macro lenses, but it is super sharp, certainly not a million miles away from to Nikon's 105. The first few pics on our current blog were taken with it...

Last edited:
Anthony,

Is it soft only doing macro or also in other uses?
Does it better if stopped down? If so, is your camera capable of AF micro adjustment?

Anthony,

Is it soft only doing macro or also in other uses?
Does it better if stopped down? If so, is your camera capable of AF micro adjustment?

Softer at abit of distance

Little bit better stopped down

Already tried af adjust to no avail

I have had a couple of Tamron lenses, and they have been fine (I think) But then again, I always put out of focus shots down to user error:D

Back