Tamron AF 70-300mm V Sigma 70-300mm (Nikon D3300)

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
No
So I'm on a low budget but looking to get a zoom lens, It would be used mostly for wildlife/birds but also at sea to shore.

I have a tripod and understand its a bit of a general question.

I have a Nikon D3300 which I adore but really do need a zoom now.

I understand both are budget models but either one a better all round lens?. Both reviews look good on Amazon.

Here are links to both.

Tamron AF 70-300mm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-AF-7...&qid=1452011628&sr=8-2&keywords=tamron+70-300

Sigma 70-300mm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-70-30...8&qid=1452011459&sr=8-5&keywords=nikon+70-300

PS I know both are cheaper on eBay, I'm using Amazon just so review can be read.

I would say save up and get the vc version of the tamron or get a used nikon 55_200 vr which go for about £90 to £100 used.

I've had the Sigma, bought 2nd hand for £60 a couple of years ago (or there abouts) when they were a around £100 new. I used it on a D3100 and a 10 year old D70. I had, what I believe, was a good, sharp copy and for what I paid was very happy with its performance.

If you want to see a couple of photos I took with it, let me know and I'll post them up :)

Last edited:
You can get a brand new nikon 55-200mm vr ii on eBay for £90. Less reach but great price :)

I would say save up and get the vc version of the tamron or get a used nikon 55_200 vr which go for about £90 to £100 used.

Hi, Have you used the none VC version or the Nikon 55-200?. I see there around £90 brand new on Fleabay. I guess with the 24mp I could always zoom and crop?.

I've had the Sigma, bought 2nd hand for £60 a couple of years ago (or there abouts) when they were a around £100 new. I used it on a D3100 and a 10 year old D70. I had, what I believe, was a good, sharp copy and for what I paid was very happy with its performance.

If you want to see a couple of photos I took with it, let me know and I'll post them up :)

I would love to see some of the photos, thanks.

You can get a brand new nikon 55-200mm vr ii on eBay for £90. Less reach but great price :)

Cheers have you used one?, would love to see the results.

CAn recommend the Tamron VC and try to get one 2nd hand

Thanks but that is over double the price of the lens I'm looking at. :(

Saying that I have now seen second hand Nikon 55-300mm for £145 which I could stretch if it really is that much better. (Nikon AF-S DX 55-300mm f4.5-5.6G ED VR).

Last edited:
Would you say that was a sharper/better lens then the Nikon AF-S DX 55-300mm f4.5-5.6G ED VR?.

Yes I have the 55-200vr and it is a very good lens for the money, however if I had a choice now I would go for either the nikon 70-300vr or the Tamron 70-300vc.

On thing to note is that the Tamron can have some QC issues so if buying second hand worth checking it is a sharp lens.

Hi, Have you used the none VC version or the Nikon 55-200?

I've used the Nikon 55-200, in fact the wife still does, I would say there was hardly any difference, if any, in IQ between that and the Sigma

I've also used and still have a Nikon 70-300 VR, again there wasn't a lot of difference in IQ between that and the £60 Sigma, although it was quieter and focus was a bit faster.

I now have a Sigma 150-500 that I'm very happy with but, like most in this hobby, I'm regularly thinking I need something better and keep looking at 500 f4 primes :D

For the people that say buy the more expensive because you only buy once, I would say buy what you can afford and enjoy it. I bought the Sigma 70-300 and loved it, then the wife wanted one, so I took the opportunity to upgrade to the Nikon 70-300 vr. I then decided I wanted more reach, so bought the Sigma 150-500, sold the sigma 70-300 and let the wife use the 70-300 vr.

My point being, I didn't regret buying the cheap sigma 70-300 and if it hadn't have been for the wife wanting 300mm and me wanting more reach, I'd still be using it :)

I would love to see some of the photos, thanks.

These were shot in raw, with a few slider adjustment in basic ACR, my PP'ing skills are very limited :D

D3100 & Sigma 70-300

A400M by Phil D, on Flickr

D70 & Sigma 70-300

Turkish F16 RIAT'14 Nikon D70 by Phil D, on Flickr

And thought I'd add this one, taken with the D3100 & Nikon 70-300vr for comparison

Alex Heaton Thundersport GB Anglesey 2014 by Phil D, on Flickr

Thats fantastic help. Thank you.

Think I am going to go for the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens which I have found for £159.99 brand new which appears to be a cracking deal.

Hi Ben,

I have the Tamron 70-300 AF (for Nikon) here which you posted in your first link. I bought in when I first started out 6 months ago and have subsequently gone up to a Sigma 150-500.

You can have it for free if you like as it is just kicking about doing nothing and I would prefer it going to a good home rather than just sat here. It was bought secondhand off Ebay, but it's in excellent condition apart from a couple of tiny marks on the lens that don't appear to affect the image quality. It's boxed with a hood and the original purchasers receipt from April 2014. I seem to have mislaid the lens cover but you could get one for a couple of quid.

Anyway if you want it just let me know your address details and I will post it out to you.

Cheers

Hi Ian,

I know exactly what he's going through in his choice as I was the same six months ago. Anyway - 'when' he upgrades he can always pass the favour on I suppose. :).

That is incredibly generous of you Barrie0, I can't thank you enough. I've almost been losing sleep over if I could afford the more expensive lens so this is will be a great opportunity to play with one for free. I will of course pass it on to another user for free once I choose to upgrade. I will message you my address now.

Hello barrie, can i ask how you find the sigma 150/500, ive been looking for a longer reach from my 300.

Hi Dave,

I've had it for around a month now and have only been able to use it properly in sunlight for a few hours due to the recent weather. I have tried using it when it's dull and overcast, but it needs decent light and stopped down to at least F8 to bring out the sharpness (all of the reviews seem to say this as well). I've mainly been using it for wildlife (BIF) on a D7100 in crop mode, but am liking what I have seen so far. It seems to be sharper than both my Nikon & Tamron 70-300 VR lenses and I just use it handheld with seemingly decent results.

The difference between 300mm to 450mm & 500mm is really great and I'm still surprised when I have something in the viewfinder, take my eyes away from the camera and see how far the subject is! I bought mine secondhand off the bay for £375 and apparently though a bit paint chipped it's had a service by Sigma. In the future when funds allow I would like to get a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, but at the moment I'm happy with the 150-500mm. Just need some decent weather to try it out more!

Thanks very much barrie for taking the time to reply, sounds good to me. Cheers

No problem. From what I've seen so far I would buy another one if I had to.

I own the Tamron in the OP. I got it as part of a kit when i bought my D3200 back in mid 2014. I made a big mistake as i could have had a Nikkor 55-200 instead but thought the extra 100mm would be better, i was wrong. It is ok to learn with but if you want decent photos then i wouldn't suggest keeping it for too long.

Hello barrie, can i ask how you find the sigma 150/500, ive been looking for a longer reach from my 300.
I love mine. Bought the Tamron 70-300 VC first but stepped upto the 150-500 after about 6 months purely for airshows. Took me a while to get used to the extra weight etc but finding I get more keepers these days.

Fantastic photos, cheers. Barrie0 has kindly given me a Tamoron 70-300mm so been playing with that all weekend. :D. If I find I use it a lot I may upgrade to the VC or Nikon lens.

Back