Tamron firmware update?

Messages
550
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all. I went out with my twin Canon R7s with my trusty Tamron 70-300 and 150 to 600 (G1) at Oulton Park yesterday. Notwithstanding that I didn't realise just how much muscle memory I had with the 70D, my keeper rate was absolutely terrible. In particular, I don't like what the viewfinder does when panning in electric 1st curtain, and the supposedly superior autofocus less than brilliant.

I have read that there is a firmware update available by sending the lenses into Tamron to make them work better with Canon R cameras. has anyone any experience of doing this? I want to try that first, but I suspect I am going to end up buying new lenses in the long run - though there are few affordable options covering the longer lens on an RF mount.
 
Not familiar with these lenses, I’m guessing they’re too old to have the USB connection on the lens?

What about in camera software update?
 
Not familiar with these lenses, I’m guessing they’re too old to have the USB connection on the lens?

What about in camera software update?
No, no usb port. Nor can canon fit lenses be updated by the body (unlike Sony).

I've emailed Tamron, so I'll post an update when I know more.
 
Only g2 can be updated, so frankly it is time to move it on if issues are too obvious to ignore. Sigma art and sports are much better behaved on rf system. This is just a fact. I like tamron 35mm f1.4 optically but even latest firmware is not there. I might get tempted to replace it with 40mm art for that reason alone unless i move to sony altogether before then
 
Only g2 can be updated, so frankly it is time to move it on if issues are too obvious to ignore. Sigma art and sports are much better behaved on rf system. This is just a fact. I like tamron 35mm f1.4 optically but even latest firmware is not there. I might get tempted to replace it with 40mm art for that reason alone unless i move to sony altogether before then
Pretty sure the new 17-70 f/2.8 can as well. Just that there isnt any FW updates for it.
 
So a quick update on this. I got touch with Tamron, who told me to contact their service partner (Fixation - which is part of Wex) and arrange a firmware update via them. I sent both lenses in, and they were able to update the 150-600 to the latest firmware, but the 70-300 was too old to update (it was the older version with the gold band rather than the tungsten brand). I am waiting to get them back, and I will let you know how the 150-600 performs when it returns. The firmware update does allow the VC to work when panning, so that might well help.

I know RF lenses are a better option optically, but there are a lot of used EF lenses out there for reasonable prices and I think I can get 90% of the performance from an old EF for a lot less money. My plan is to replace the 70-300, possibly with a Canon EF 70-200 mk2. Depending on how it performs, I might look at the Sigma Contemporary as LongLensPhotography suggested. there are not a lot of super zoom options available with reasonable apertures at a reasonable price.

Incidentally, to assess both lenses, update the 150-600 and return postage, it was £42. I also had to pay £6 to send them in, but this was pretty painless because when you book the lens in, it generates a DPD label and you can just drop the package off at your local Coop.
 
Last edited:
My plan is to replace the 70-300, possibly with a Canon EF 70-200 mk2.
don't. If you are staying low budget with EF mount, save £££ and get EF 70-200mm f/4L IS. mk2 is worse. Go straight for the RF if you want better, and they are particularly in flare reduction. I would avoid any EF 70-200 f/2.8 flavor entirely.
 
Back
Top