Tamron or sigma

Name
bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to purchase a super zoom but not sure whether to go for the Tamron 150-600 or the sigma 150-600 contempary lens
I cannot afford the canon 100-400 mkii or the sport version of the sigma
I would like to hear from anybody using theses lenses what their opinions are
I use a canon 7d mkii
Cheers

I bought a sigma 150-600 contemporary a couple of months back - I haven't had much time to use it out in the field, except for some local bird shots but I have used it for moon shots with a TCx2 plus I have used it in a very very dark dance hall. Here's some examples of mine:

ISO 3200, 400th of a sec, 361mm, , F5.6 on a 6d FF
_MG_3201 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

600d so crop like the 7d, 600mm TCx2 so 1200mm x crop size (so about 1800mm?)
Moon 14-01-2015 UK by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

ISO 1600, F6.3, 500th of a sec on the 600d (crop sensor) at 600mm
_MG_0110 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Its a very capable lens and I cant wait to get outside and do some more wildlife shots though Im pretty new to the wildlife stuff. Nice mixed bag of shots on FF and crop sensor - I think its very sharp, even on the 600mm end (last image)

In exactly the same boat for the last few months but i am leaning towards the sigma c now... reason why is:

I did want the canon mk2 but 400mm although fine for motorsports just doesnt cut the mustard when it comes to wildlife and birds in particular... ive tried the mk1 at silverstone and i can imagine it would be great for airshows as well. Its the sharpest of all the lenses and of course you can crop.. but the sharpness at 400mm between all three lenses would require some pixel peeping to see... itd be a hair sharper but not obvious.

So the first thing you need to to establish is how much length you really need as 400mm may leave you wanting more. I have an old sigma 400mm prime which i used to shoot birds with and even ones 20-30ft away you have to crop in hard.

The sigma has an af firmware update coming tomorrow or today to increase af speed by 20-50 percent.

Reviews seem to converge on the point that the tamron is a tad sharper in the centre of the frame but the sigma is at the edges.

With the sigma c you also get the panning modes, its a bit lighter, zooms and rotates like a canon lens etc.

All good lenses but there are some differences.

I've had the Tamron and found it to be a very capable lens, there is little price difference between the two and I see no great IQ or performance difference to choose one over the over ... if I was choosing over again the option of getting and using the Sigma dock might sway me toward the Sigma :)

Cheers for replies looks like it's down to the toss of a coin lol

Last edited:
Is the zoom aspect of the lens really important to you? if it isn't I'd say go for the Canon 400 F5.6 prime lens, its a very good lens, sharp as a tack as well so if you think you'll be shooting at the long end more often than not then its worth a look.

Back