Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
No
Just seen on another forum this new lens at $1069. At todays rate that is roughly £660. I'd like to try something with this reach so hopefully it gets good feedback.

Last edited:
Factor in VAT, distribution costs etc (I assume that price doesn't include sales tax for example) and I think it'll be more like £800 - £850. As it's a new lens there'll be the early adopters fee added to that as well, so likely nearer £900 to £950.
Just compare the price the Tamron 70-200 2.8VC launched at in the UK. I'm sure I saw it around £1400, but it's now settled at £1100. The £1100 is about the same as the US price but with our 20% VAT added on top, which is pretty good going tbh.

Hopefully will be in my price range and would certainly consider Panamoz. Just don't fancy the Sigma 150-500mm so the Tamron version cant come quick enough for me. Might have a little wait though while the price settles (if I can manage that).

At the risk of taking the thread in a diversion, is the 70-200mm VC that good Phil?

I've been waiting for a price for this lens. I'd be happy to pay <£1,000. I'm looking forward to seeing the reviews!

Early adopters in the UK will pay a premium (one UK site has it at £949) but wait a while for stock to be freely available and the price will come down. BTW according to Tamron UK and a couple of other UK suppliers the UK release date is this Friday (but on Canon mount only at the moment).

The AF speed certainly does look impressive in the videos and overall the quality of the lens does look quite good, however some of the shots I've seen from it have looked a bit soft specially at the longer range. I'd like to test it against my Sigma 150-500 OS, which I think is a very good sharp example, and see which one comes out best. If the price drops eventually to around the £750 mark and the optics are as good or better than my Sigma then it would be a very good investment.

Weeeelll, I've ordered one today with what I think is a decent price for what you get, should arrive tomorrow....

Oooooohhh I can sense the baited breath all around...Unfortunately it seems it's going to be p*****g down all weekend so options may be limited...

It looks like £949.00 is the going web price for a UK lens, the main gray importers (that I know of) don't have stock and haven't set a price!

The AF speed certainly does look impressive in the videos and overall the quality of the lens does look quite good, however some of the shots I've seen from it have looked a bit soft specially at the longer range. I'd like to test it against my Sigma 150-500 OS, which I think is a very good sharp example, and see which one comes out best. If the price drops eventually to around the £750 mark and the optics are as good or better than my Sigma then it would be a very good investment.

I guess that will always be the case with longer zooms, there is always a compromise... I admit I am tempted, although not sure this will be a walkabout lens on the beach/park/woods etc...

OK, so got it today.

On unpacking it looks nice. It's big. Solid. Nicely finished. It's big. Quite heavy. Large front element with 95mm. Looks smart (no gold ring). Did I mention it's quite big? Zoom goes wrong way.

Unfortunately I was quite busy today so didn't get chance to use it until I got a few shots popped off when sun was just down after getting home from a trip. Which was not ideal for this lens! So I'm not sure how much my shots will help as I was using high ISO, mostly 3200 and speed was mostly only 1/200 (or even slower) for the birds. So there's not much in the way of sharpness I'm afraid. Although a couple of shots I've not posted did seem to suggest that sharpness will be OK if I and the lens can see...

I can tell you the Vibration control worked pretty well. The boat below was at 1/15 and 600mm

If you click on the boat that will take you to my flickr page. There are 7 shots there, no editing, levelling or PP apart from conversion to jpeg in DPP, so by all means take a look but there are no keepers and I don't think they'll be convincers, it was just too dark. So please don't have a pop as there was zero planning and close on zero time to get these off and frankly I'm not used to anything longer than 200mm. Only posted 'cos I know there is some anticipation out there...

Autofocus seemed rather good and quick apart from at long lengths in the dark(!) where it was hopeless.

From the very limited time I had it seems to render colour and contrast quite well and seems to make the light look nice. I may get a better chance in brighter weather tomorrow...

DPP_0002
by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

Very interested but would love some more representative shots in some light :)

Not bad, quite impressed given the light conditions and glad to hear the focus speed is good. I just picked up a Canon 300mm f/4 IS (with 1.4x) for my bird watching but it looks like a competitive option as a super telephoto.

Very interested to see some better light stuff with this lens and to see where the price drops to in the near future

Very impressive, especially the the flickr link posted by the black fox! I can't wait for the Nikon mount to come out now!

Back