Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD?

I'd be interested as well. My only none Nikon lens is a Tamron 24-70 F/2.8. And I too have considered the Tamron 24-70 as an alternative to Nikon's 24-70.
But, I would not want to compromise optically. And it would be great if the Tamron was not as big/heavy as the Nikon.
But although my Tamron is sharp in the middle, it tends to be soft at the edges and only behaves itself by F/8. OK, so it's not a Nikon, but it was only £200ish.
But I think the Tamron 24-70 is around £800 new? It would need to be spot on for that, otherwise I'd go with a used Nikon.

I have this lens on my 5Diii and rate it very high. Excellent in low light at 2.8. I find the AF to be very good.
I compared this to the Canon 24-70 mkii and while the Canon is a better lens (tiny amount) it's not in a million years a £1000+ difference

I compared this to the Canon 24-70 mkii and while the Canon is a better lens (tiny amount) it's not in a million years a £1000+ difference

This pretty much sums it up both the canon and Nikon lenses are better but if they are 1000 pounds better only you can decide. The tamron is a great lens and only slightly behind the oem lenses and the addition of vc makes it an either harder decision.

If it was my money I'd get the tamron, but then I could never afford the canon!

i had one for my Nikon, it was a pile of mush in the corners, even stopped down to f/11 it was poor in the corners, sent it back for a refund.

It does seem from feedback that there can be quite a bit of sample variation with this lens, some people reporting that they've had lenses which weren't even quite the full 24-70 range and that some have been sharp, some mush.... always thought Tamron's QC was meant to be better than that!

It does seem from feedback that there can be quite a bit of sample variation with this lens, some people reporting that they've had lenses which weren't even quite the full 24-70 range and that some have been sharp, some mush.... always thought Tamron's QC was meant to be better than that!

I only remember lensrentals.com did an early survey of several copies, and they found it to perform pretty well (better than that link) above Canon mk1. Maybe it has something to do with sharpness at close focusing distance when shooting charts or perhaps QC is not up to the task. It really worries me if I get one and it is soft at 35-50mm wide open.

Having owned two copies (for Canon) and with both having mechanical issues i gave up and got the Canon version.
It might not be £1000 better (although im sure the cost difference is less thna that) but id rather have a lens that didnt lock up my camera, and if i pay for VC i want it to actually work

I recently purchased this Tamron ( for Canon ), and posted my unprofessional 100% crop about 1.5 months ago. At extreme corners, it will benefit from smaller aperture, but at f8 and smaller (for most landscape), the corners are quite sharp. I guess you will need to look at samples and decide for yourself. The VC on my copy seems to work fine. I'm not sure if I'm just lucky with QC, but I now have 3 Tamron lenses, and have yet to find extreme issues with them.

I recently purchased this Tamron ( for Canon ), and posted my unprofessional 100% crop about 1.5 months ago. At extreme corners, it will benefit from smaller aperture, but at f8 and smaller (for most landscape), the corners are quite sharp. I guess you will need to look at samples and decide for yourself. The VC on my copy seems to work fine. I'm not sure if I'm just lucky with QC, but I now have 3 Tamron lenses, and have yet to find extreme issues with them.

Could you post anything from around 40mm mark please?

Post some shots up here Chris - show some doubters what this lens is capable of!!! ;P
Its not a matter of doubters Phil, its about Tamrons QC and variance between different samples of the lens.

Why not put up some samples yourself Phil, surely youre not bigging up a lens you dont even own, surely not,.

24-70 arrived, looking forward to seeing what it can do and to see if it can stop me from simply ordering another Sigma 35mm!
Hope you get a good copy Chris, if not then thats the beauty of ordering online, youre protected under the DSR and can return for a no arguments full refund

Its not a matter of doubters Phil, its about Tamrons QC and variance between different samples of the lens.

Why not put up some samples yourself Phil, surely youre not bigging up a lens you dont even own, surely not,.

I wasn't talking about you or anyone else in particular.

I didn't say I owned it, I merely posted a link to a sharpness comparison. I also said post photos to prove doubters wrong...I don't doubt the lens is fantastic.

I'm sure the chances of getting a bad copy are the same for getting a bad nikkor...they are all factory produced with machines that are programmed to make the same lens time and time again so whilst I'm sure there are bad copies of everything, I'd bet money the chances of getting one are slim.

Last edited:
Ordered from Amazon so shouldn't have any issues if its not great, going to shoot alongside my friends Sigma 35mm so will be good to see what both can do!

Be interesting to see the Tamron at F1.4 ;)

Amazon, always a safe bet. Enjoy the new lens.

I don't think anyone is doubting the image quality of the lens. It the fact that in that link they had to try 3 copies before they got a good one. It's not a cheap lens and quality control should be better. If its just a case of a few clicks of MA that's no problem but not everyone has that option and most people spending £800 would expect a high quality item..

Lol true! Was stunned by the quality of the Sigma 35 I had before and its tended to be my favourite focal length but having re-bought a D600 I've only got the 50mm and a 24mm f2.8D and feel I could do with a good quality zoom so will be keen to see the difference.

There is a lot of hype surrounding the 35mm so I tried it myself, cant believe how sharp it is wide open. On another note I ordered ANOTHER Sigma 50 to go with it (Lets hope its lucky number 6, I had another in a different mount that was great so really want another good copy!).

That will be a yes then Gary, he is.

That will be a yes then Gary, he is.
How do you get to that, from this;

Post some shots up here Chris - show some doubters what this lens is capable of!!! ;P

...That's like saying you shouldn't rate an aftershave that you've smelt because you don't own it :bonk: I wouldn't mind but I haven't even given my opinion on it - I just said to post some photos based on the faith that I believe they will be good...

Anyway, looks decent to me here:

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=13420&p=1

Probably shouldn't visit that in case you get an idea of what it can do...

We all know what this lens can do Phil, of course it can produce excellent images, its the difference between samples which is the problem, by the way, did you actually take time to look at some of the full res files on pixel peeper because lots of them are quite poor, yes some are excellent, most of those taken on a crop camera are excellent because it only uses the centre of the lenses image circle but lots of those taken on FX are not that good, some are very poor. One particular guy shooting with a D800 does produce consistently brilliantly sharp images across the full frame between f/5.6-f/13, i would buy his lens tomorrow, however when he stops down to f/22 the images are terrible as diffraction kills the images.

I tend not to look at sites like this because those togs aren't me, they don't shoot what i shoot, they don't shoot how i shoot and nor do they have the same expectations from a lens that i do, ive posted on other threads that i simply wont accept a lens which needs correcting using fine tuning, i send it back and get another, i refuse to do the manufacturers QC checks for them especially if im paying hundreds/thousands for a lens

While ever people are happy to do the fine tuning then Manufacturers will continue to let manufacturing tolerances slide, they first of all introduced in camera sharpening because of the introduction of AA/Moire filters and now fine tuning because of focusing intolerance's, what ever next.

Tamron can get it right, i own stupidly sharp across the whole frame 28-75mm and 24-135mm lenses.

How do you get to that, from this;

...That's like saying you shouldn't rate an aftershave that you've smelt because you don't own it :bonk: I wouldn't mind but I haven't even given my opinion on it - I just said to post some photos based on the faith that I believe they will be good...

Anyway, looks decent to me here:

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=13420&p=1

Probably shouldn't visit that in case you get an idea of what it can do...

A few sharp shots there but most are terribly soft and out of focus. It could be all user error, but it makes me want to stick with Canon and forget about this VC business.

We all know what this lens can do Phil, of course it can produce excellent images, its the difference between samples which is the problem, by the way, did you actually take time to look at some of the full res files on pixel peeper because lots of them are quite poor, yes some are excellent, most of those taken on a crop camera are excellent because it only uses the centre of the lenses image circle but lots of those taken on FX are not that good, some are very poor. One particular guy shooting with a D800 does produce consistently brilliantly sharp images across the full frame between f/5.6-f/13, i would buy his lens tomorrow, however when he stops down to f/22 the images are terrible as diffraction kills the images.

I tend not to look at sites like this because those togs aren't me, they don't shoot what i shoot, they don't shoot how i shoot and nor do they have the same expectations from a lens that i do, ive posted on other threads that i simply wont accept a lens which needs correcting using fine tuning, i send it back and get another, i refuse to do the manufacturers QC checks for them especially if im paying hundreds/thousands for a lens

While ever people are happy to do the fine tuning then Manufacturers will continue to let manufacturing tolerances slide, they first of all introduced in camera sharpening because of the introduction of AA/Moire filters and now fine tuning because of focusing intolerance's, what ever next.

Tamron can get it right, i own stupidly sharp across the whole frame 28-75mm and 24-135mm lenses.
You make a good point about looking wt other people's shots, I agree absolutely.

However, in my experience, I've read reviews, seen the charts, bought the lens. I don't think I've bought a lens that I didn't find sharp and met my expectations.

You make a good point about looking wt other people's shots, I agree absolutely.

However, in my experience, I've read reviews, seen the charts, bought the lens. I don't think I've bought a lens that I didn't find sharp and met my expectations.
So will you be buying this Tamron VC lens then?????

Im also wondering why the OP is still on the lookout for a Nikon 24-85mm VR lens if the Tamron 24-70mm VC he has already bought is as good as some people say it is http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/nikon-24-85-vr.515849/
I'm still swithering, I've currently got a 24mm f2.8D and 50mm f1.8G, adding the Sigma 35mm as my walkaround gives me 2 things, My favourite Focal length and an outstanding lens!
Looking forward to trying the 24-70 more at the weekend when I can get out during the day and see what I think, I've not yet made up my mind but I'm definitely leaning toward the Sigma 35.

I'm still swithering, I've currently got a 24mm f2.8D and 50mm f1.8G, adding the Sigma 35mm as my walkaround gives me 2 things, My favourite Focal length and an outstanding lens!
Looking forward to trying the 24-70 more at the weekend when I can get out during the day and see what I think, I've not yet made up my mind but I'm definitely leaning toward the Sigma 35.

The problem is once youve used the Sigma its hard for any lens to compete, its just so good. Even wide open its ridiculous.

Back