Tamron SP 500mm on a D80?

Edit My Images
No
Just a couple of questions;

what sort of speeds would I expect at f/8 in normal light, not a sunny day at ISO 100?

Would the lens meter at all on a D80 or would it have to be guess work by using the histogram to confirm?

What would the image quality be like? Anyone use one with a DSLR?

Anything else to be aware of?

This the Mirror lens?

I have one and am just waiting to try it on my new D300

I don't own one but from what I have read...

1. At f8 on a normal day you would definately need to use a tripod (and if possible mirror lock-up) as mirror lenses are known to show up any camera shake. I cant see you being able to use above 1/60, and i doubt you'd get thatwith the ISO at 100.

2. It will NOT meter on a D80. Like you say you would have to use the histogram, but once you have used this method for a while you will suprise yourself at how good you become at guessing ISO/Shutter/aperture settings. Tamron SP lenses will only meter on D200's and above.

3. The Tamron is one of the better quality mirror lenses as the mirrors are multicoated. Although mirror lenses are renowned for poor contrast, camera shake and very odd bokeh I have seen some decent results with them. I hope you like doughnuts!!!

I used to hand hold it at air displays but I was seriously pushing the film in order to do this and it would have to be really bright

For wildlife it was tripod mounted.

Back