Tank Action (56k Beware)

Arkady

Suspended / Banned
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
No
Challenger II's of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards on exercise in Konotop, Poland last month.
7BDE070380685E.jpg

7BDE070380594E.jpg

7BDE070380566E.jpg

7BDE070380321E.jpg

7BDE070380313E.jpg

7BDE20070190044E.jpg

Cool. Big toys.
wots the dangly thing towards the end of the barrell?

It's part of the Laser-Designator on the DEFWES simulator system - see the other lens inside the muzzle.

Ooh I see. Its for playing then...
So the other guys playing as the "baddies" dont get upset at having spent uranium or super heated copper plasma jetting around inside their vehicle.

I miss the sound of a tank at 5am... no I really don't. Great shots though. The shot in tank doesn't quite get across the cramped nature though.

Chally-2 is a spacious beast compared to the grubby little Abrams M1A2 (RPG-magnet as we call them). Not shown in this image are the reclining sofas and pool table for security reasons. The new upgrades include wide-screen plasma HD-TV and surround sound.

I've only been in an abrams and about had a heart attack in the drivers seat once the turret was turned around.... scary! A buddy of mine drowned in his tank as he couldn't get out when they burried the turret in a very deep mud hole during training. You'll never get me in one again!

do you guys go to grafenwoehr or is it just the Yanks?

We go to Poland now as it's cheaper and bigger (over 100,000km2). Live-firing at Sennelager and Paderborn. Graf is just for the Shermans.

It's part of the Laser-Designator on the DEFWES simulator system
... fancy not knowing that :LOL:
Paul - Great pics btw Rob (y)

I hope the driver remembered to close the door in the first one :eek: :D

All but one did - and I got that one too...

and there was me thinking that the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards were just a band :naughty: amazing shots...love that first one!

Parking sensor.

hahaha they bloody need it mate. Another Pad's car written off last month by cheeky manouevering...:eek: :LOL:

*edit*
nearly got creamed by a Hun in a Leopard II on the range road yesterday: Toni, the civvi Information Officer skweamed and skweamed and skweamed. I just sat there and stared at the commander (who had seen us in plenty of time) and hoped that his comms with the driver (who hadn't due to dust and stuff blown up by the vehicle in front) were working OK.
Incidentally, the first vehicle was one of the fabulous Flakpanzer-Gepard anti-aircraft quad cannons with radar-controlled 40mm pointy things.
Something about the word 'Flak-Panzer' makes me want to annex something...:naughty:

Come on now: Everyone sing along; you've all seen Battle of The Bulge...

Ob's stürmt oder schneit,
Ob die Sonne uns lacht,
Der Tag glühend heiß
Oder eiskalt die Nacht.
Bestaubt sind die Gesichter,
Doch froh ist unser Sinn,
Ja unser Sinn;
Es braust unser Panzer
Im Sturmwind dahin.

Mit donnernden Motoren,
So schnell wie der Blitz,
Dem Feinde entgegen,
Im Panzer geschützt.
Voraus den Kameraden
Im Kampfe ganz allein,
Steh'n wir allein,.
So stoßen wir tief
In die feindlichen Reihn.

Wenn vor uns ein feindlicher
Panzer erscheint,
Dann Vollgas gegeben
Und ran an den Feind!
Was gilt denn unser Leben
Für unsers Reiches Heer,
Ja Reiches Heer?
Für Deutschland zu sterben
Ist uns höchste Ehr.

Mit Sperren und Tanks
Hält der Gegner uns auf,
Wir lachen darüber
Und fahren nicht drauf.
Und droh'n vor uns Geschütze,
Versteckt im gelben Sand,
Im gelben Sand,
Wir suchen uns Wege,
Die keiner sonst fand.

Und läßt uns im Stich
Einst das treulose Glück,
Und kehren wir nicht mehr
Zur Heimat zurück,
Trifft uns die Todeskugel,
Ruft uns das Schicksal ab,
Ja Schicksal ab,
Dann ist unser Panzer
Ein ehernes Grab.

Love that scene from BofB - My wife & I start humming the tune if we encounter any large scary ladies when dining out or something :nuts:
BTW I hope you cut & pasted those lyrics coz if you didn't you must be the biggest anorak in the mob :LOL:
Paul ;)

*sorry still singing along to my iTunes 'Tannhauser Gate' playlist, of which 'Panzerlied' is one of the tracks*

Back