Target Species.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Mine will be Kingfisher and Dipper, with the odd other thing here and there but those 2 are the ones I'm targeting this year.

What about you?

Just for a change Dale, I'll be following my usual obsession :rolleyes:

It'll be my 7th breeding season this year and I still get a buzz when one comes flying towards me.

It'll be my 7th breeding season this year and I still get a buzz when one comes flying towards me.

......and rightly so Phil, lovely birds, although I don't recall ever seeing an LEO. I had the pleasure of SEO company the tail end of 2018 and into 2019 but not been able to check them out this last year or so for obvious reasons. There were no reports of sightings either. When KF and Dipper activity slows down later in the year, SEO could well be my winter target.

Last edited:
Hoping to spot (will be happy to see the buggers, let alone get a shot of them!) some Bittern and Squacco Heron. Only place I've seen them is on an artificial lake in Crete so can't wait for the opportunity to get there again!

I'm going to try and get decent cuckoo shots, I've only managed distant shots in the past, that and fox.

I’ll be after a Peregrine. We have a pair nesting at our local church. Got a few shots last year but wasn’t happy with them. They’re sitting on 4 eggs this year, so fingers crossed I’ll do better this year.

I want to see a barn owl this year as I've never seen one in the wild and they're my favourite bird (actually, I've never seen any wild owl). I'd love to get a photo of one too but my aim is just to see one through the binoculars.

Avocet chicks and hopfully Dippers later on ,when I can travel the 30 miles to a known location ( so Please @Dale. ) stop posting bloody Dipper images :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Les :)

I want to see a barn owl this year as I've never seen one in the wild and they're my favourite bird (actually, I've never seen any wild owl). I'd love to get a photo of one too but my aim is just to see one through the binoculars.

You need to come over to Greylake RSPB Carl- I saw 3 there yesterday afternoon whilst excersing the dogs ( no camera with me ) :(

got this a while back same location buddy

DSC00873 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

You need to come over to Greylake RSPB Carl- I saw 3 there yesterday afternoon whilst excersing the dogs ( no camera with me ) :(

got this a while back same location buddy

DSC00873 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Oh :LOL: I was at Greylake on Sunday afternoon, and all I saw were some small songbirds in the car park and a Swan about half a mile away :LOL:

Where abouts did you see them? Were they over the fields on the right when you walk down to the furthest hide that's on the track going west? I guess it was shortly before sunset?

Reckon I best get my batteries charged in case I get time to go back one evening this week haha.

Oh :LOL: I was at Greylake on Sunday afternoon, and all I saw were some small songbirds in the car park and a Swan about half a mile away :LOL:

Where abouts did you see them? Were they over the fields on the right when you walk down to the furthest hide that's on the track going west? I guess it was shortly before sunset?

Reckon I best get my batteries charged in case I get time to go back one evening this week haha.

Over by the willow screen, walk along the stream to the end, If you know where I mean Carl? looking towards Bridgwater mate @ around 5.30pm

I’ll be after a Peregrine. We have a pair nesting at our local church. Got a few shots last year but wasn’t happy with them. They’re sitting on 4 eggs this year, so fingers crossed I’ll do better this year.

Wow! It must be quite some church!

It's amazing there are so many nesting on buildings now. When Derek Ratcliffe wrote his monograph on them (about 1980) peregrines nesting on buildings were so rare that individual instances were noted.

I've a pair on a natural cliff near me but there's not much sign of breeding .... yet. I'm just hoping they are coming into breeding condition later than normal. Not that there will be any chance of photographing them, unfortunately. :(

You guys are way ahead of me.. I've just been enjoying a bit more freedom and being able to get out to a few of our more local NR's again, hadn't even started thinking about what I'd like to shoot this year!

I've missed out on the blue butterflies the last couple of years - combination of work and the obvious last year, so I'm going to keep it simple and reasonably unambitious and go for Common Blue Butterflies this year. Wouldn't mind another couple of types of Dragonfly either... Seeing Badgers would be amazing... you've got me started now! :LOL:

Good to see all the varied species.

I must admit, I've slightly neglected my Dippers, they will have chicks now I would think, I've not been there for over a week as the light is really difficult down in the ravine type place they are and shame on me, but I haven't felt inspired. I have though been spending time at the Kingfisher nest and figuring out how to make it work there. I'm getting to know the spot well now but not quite intimately yet, although every time I'm there, I learn something and the Kingfishers are there. It's very quiet though, they must be on eggs. I've realising where to put perches out too, to behonest, there are probably thousands of natural perches there already, so maikng one tempting enough for a KF to land on is almost a hiding to nothing but I have now earmarked 2 apots near the nest that might work. We'll see.

I've had a tip off on another dipper site too, which is quite near the KF, so that will be worth a recce soon.

Phil question lol how does one find out where to find an owl in their area. I have never seen one in the wild and that would be a great challenge . Do I need to go to farms for instance and ask or is there certain fields they like etc. I’m sure there must be loads in Ayrshire but where do I start ?

Phil question lol how does one find out where to find an owl in their area. I have never seen one in the wild and that would be a great challenge . Do I need to go to farms for instance and ask or is there certain fields they like etc. I’m sure there must be loads in Ayrshire but where do I start ?

That's a good question Cathy........you have a PM :)

Back