Tate Walkway

Edit My Images
Yes
We went to the Tate Modern today...I just lose myself in that place...well anyway, I did the first shot and showed Laurie (my 22 year old), he's the tall one in the shot and he came up with the second version...I like it a lot and he wants it printed up on A3, I think it will look good :)

tatewalkway.jpg

tatewalkwaytall.jpg

I like them both, but the the first one is the better IMHO. I like the reflections in the glass. I could imagine that some would say that is distracting but I like it. Looks great anyway.

I much prefer your original shot Marianne. The trouble with a crop like the second pic is that it is so obviously a crop and so will always look contrived.

perhaps I should have shown the second one without the first to compare it with...I think the second one works as a pictorial reminder of the day for Laurie, he is a sensitive chap and has only really started to communicate with me properly again after months of silence after I left the family home, I understand how tough it has been for him, I had a tough time too. We had the best day ever, all four of us, he gets on well with Barry, life is good......The second one is for Laurie, for his bedroom wall, he is in the shot, walking towards the light, quite poignant really. He goes back to his Dad tomorrow, but I'm sure he will beback with us again soon :)

Ah.... had my share of those traumas too thanks. Time has a way of sorting these things out. ;)

I can see why he'd like it, but I like the way the light tails off towards the sides in the first shot... it really reeks atmosphere. :)

I have to say that I love the first shot but my page layout skills got quite excited when Laurie suggest ways of putting 'his' image together....it was nice to see a different angle on something that I have a passion for, and also the fact that Laurie seems to have that same artistic bent as his Mum ;)

Hei Marianne

I like them both, I think for him though seeing as he is the "star" of the shot then the second one is better.

It depends what you want to focus on, if its a hall of random people of course the first is better, but if you are going to focus on a single figure in the room then the second really is very dramatic.

Looks like you had a positive experience with your son :):clap:

:)

CT said:
I much prefer your original shot Marianne. The trouble with a crop like the second pic is that it is so obviously a crop and so will always look contrived.

Hmmm, that raises an interesting point? When does a photograph stand on it's merit? Why do we have to be constrained by the format ratios of the recording media? :shrug:

I personnally think both images can exist as seperate entities without having to fit or not with contrivance... :help:

CT said:
The trouble with a crop like the second pic is that it is so obviously a crop and so will always look contrived.

I disagree entirely with this - there's no reason this can't have been taken with a panoramic camera, or "shot to be cropped" - you just already know that neither is the case.

I think both are fantastic, but the second is my favourite - it makes an exceptionally striking image.

Do they allow cameras throughout the whole of Tate Modern, then? :)

No cameras once you get to the galleries but so this bit was safe to photograph :)
Thanks for the comments....I've just bought Laurie a simple black frame for his pic so he can take it back to Southampton and remember his time with his Mum ;)

Great shot those M, I do like the second probably even more than the first, the cropping works a treat (y)

Nicely framed as well BTW, what Font are you using for your title / name ?? really like it, looks very modern.

Just looking over them again, the frame on the first really sets the image off right..... please tell how you get the effect?

Great shot as usual. I can see where you come from with the second more personal image. There is the argument in my house, Diane wants a record - grey skies and all wheras I will always try and construct a picture - possibly of what I would like to see. If I do thumnails - there is always the "why didn't you print thats"
Marianne your photograhy is an art - you paint with pixels! Keep thes images coming as they give so much inspiration and cause for discussion and help us to look at pictures from a diferent perspective.
Sorry - late night ramblings of an old man!

second has a much stronger feel and the story that goes with it makes it more powerful.

the first is very good on its own and is more complete though, if you see what i mean

here's the framed image ready to be taken back to So'ton

framedloz.jpg

thanks for all these lovely comments...It's a good feeling to think that I have inspired others...love the conversations that go on under images on this exceptionally friendly site :)

WOW! Marianne that impressive! Clever you, he should be well chuffed :D

Back