Tattoos?

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
OK I know this is totally off topic here, but that's what this area is for right,lol. Anyway, how many of you out there have a tattoo? Reason being is I was out and about with my sister checking them out today. She is getting a piercing(don't ask)and I have ALWAYS wanted a tattoo but was always too chicken. I love them and think they look fantastic on people, when done right that is. I promised myself years ago that I would get one by the time I hit the big 30! A wee bit late but I'm taking the plunge. Anyway I am making an appointment tomorrow to get one done hopefully by next week and I am a wee bit scared. Just looking to hear about others who have em and hear about their experience, whether good or bad, doesn't matter. I want to hear it all.

Thanks,

Jewel :)

Which part of your body you thinking of having one done?...............or shouldn't I ask.:embarasse

jewel said:
I love them and think they look fantastic on people, when done right that is.

hi jewel
i have 3 Tattoos and wish i never had them done, no use to anyone, and after several years the ink fades and they look aweful, my sister also had one done, many years ago, and spent a fortune having it removed.
unless you are having it done in a place where it can be covered up by trousers, jumper or jacket i would leave it as your remark above sugests, on other people.

I don't mind them tbh, if they are done right and in the right place. I was going to get onr on my upper arm, but I had a little mishap at work which left me with a couple of scars where it was going to go so that was the end of that.

My wife has a small tat on her lower back, sort of at the waist line, it's not visable unless she wants it to be.

I remember when she went to have it done, she went in with tears streaming down her face and came out of the room with a beaming smile saying that it felt relaxing :suspect1:

If you want one, go for it but make sure it's a design you really really want, after all.......you'll be stuck with it for life!

jewel said:
Either my lower back, or the back of my right shoulder. I haven't quite decided yet. :)

Not to bad then.

I made the BIG mistake when I was younger to have them on my hands and the back of my neck.

Spent a small fortune having laser treatment to remove the one on my neck.

I can honestly say I regret them........my father told me I would but I chose to ignore.

At least you are having one somewhere where it can be hidden.

It doesn't hurt:D

I have some on my arms from when I was young and daft. I can't say they bother me and I wouldn't go out of my way to have them removed. My brother had some removed and the scarring is worse than the tattoos!! They do spread, fade, and start to look awful over time.

There was a social stigma attached to tattoos at one time and now suddenly they're the height of fashion, but what goes around comes around - this fad will pass and you'll be stuck with it. My honest advice Jewel is don't do it, women have great bodies without adorning them with that crap. Cancel the appointment and buy something for the camera. ;)

I had two tatoos back in my army days, most squaddies seemed to have had them back in the 70's. I dont regret them, like Boon though i can confirm that the ink fades especially the colours, and also i agree to have them were you can cover them up.

Mike

i have two tattoo's so far, and am planing my third and fourth atm,

i have a full 3" wide celtic band round my right bicep .and a celtic knot in a shield shape on my right shoulder, both in black and shaded in a 3D effect,

i think they are great, and i waited for 35 years b4 getting em done,

its a big decision, but if you want one , get one, its your body....

as for the pain...that depends on where its done, and on how much you can take, pain that is...
the tattoo artist said i was possibly the most relaxed person he had worked on, this is reflected in how much you bleed ( or dont ) lol

go see their work. and ask their advice if getting a larger tattoo, they do fade, but the better quality ones will be done in such a way as to minimise this effect, colours fade quicker than just blacks ,

MyPix

I have two tattoos, and had 13 cut out of my arm, il take a photo of the scars for you, might put you off lol. i have my name and dob on one forearm and a dagger on upper arm, i had a pile of indian ink ones done on other forearm and hand and found it caused major problems with job interviews, so seen a doctor who got me to the hospital to have them removed, left me with not a pretty arm now. So make sure you really want one, and that it can be hidden when needed.

CT said:
women have great bodies without adorning them with that crap. Cancel the appointment and buy something for the camera. ;)
Just in case you didn't notice it first time ;)

have to agree, although the best tattoo i did see was on a woman whom had dyed her hair green and had a "keep of the grass" tattooed beneath her belly button, was classic :D

But only funny if she keeps her hair green, just weird otherwise! :D

If you're having them on the more 'bony' parts of your body - lower back, back of shoulders, then they can be pretty painful. Generally though, I would call it 'discomfort' rather than 'pain'.

When I had mine done, it took about 45 minutes and the black ink was more uncomfortable than the colouring in. I don't like needles and I couldn't watch him do it. When he said he'd nearly done, I found the courage to have a look. He had rubber gloves on and they were covered in red stuff that had run down my arm and was dripping off my elbow. I said "please tell me that's ink?!". He replied "nope".:shock:

When I was 10 I had one of those "lick it and stick it on" tattoos on my arm. It had a tiger on and I was immediately as hard as nails. Ahem.

Ribby said:
When I was 10 I had one of those "lick it and stick it on" tattoos on my arm. It had a tiger on and I was immediately as hard as nails. Ahem.

Quality :laugh1: That brings back memories..... I bet you tried to walk around in your vest as well, just to show it off.

Mr THX said:
I bet you tried to walk around in your vest as well, just to show it off.

Were you watching? :suspect1:

lol i remember them, didnt they come with a large pink piece of chewing gum that tasted like a dental room

Yes. Yes, they did.

Ribby said:

he he, that's funny,lol. My daughter is into those stick on things right now actually. She has a tribal band on one arm and a cockroach on the other,lol Couldn't be barbie, bratz or anything girlie like that, no she wants to be gross about it,lol Drives me crazy but I say nuttin seeing as they wear off in the bath,lol. I think she likes to get a reaction from people,that's all.

As for me, thanks for all of your opinions, definately gives me something to think about. I wasn't aware that they faded over time, or that the black ink hurt more than the colour ink does. :D The one I am getting is mostly black ink. Dreamcatcher with feathers and stuff, I'm part Ojibway for those of you who don't know. As for the pain, I think I have a high tolerance for it, two kids and all,lol. Can't hurt more than that I presume,lol Although I don't like the site of blood and didn't know you bled while they did it. Well thanks again for all opinions,

jewel said:
I wasn't aware that they faded over time, or that the black ink hurt more than the colour ink does. :D
Its actually true. Something to do with the different needles they use.
Although I don't like the site of blood and didn't know you bled while they did it
Some people bleed more than others but mine was particularly bad. It scabbed up for about 2 weeks and was really sore. You have to be careful to let that sort itself out tho and not mess about with it. If you start pulling bits of scab off, you'll end up with patchy colour.

The black ink they use to do the outline is one big needle, in fact it's more like a blade, while the one they use for filling in colours is more a multi -needle thing and the sensation is much duller.

I don't think it's THAT painful to be honest unless it's a particulary sensitive part like inside the arm or where there's not much flesh and an underlying bone, then it can be a bit sharp.

The black outline is put on with 1 needle vibrating big time, the colours tend to be put on with a group of 5 or 6 needles in a nice small bundle. The outline tends to be more painful than the colour part i think because by the time you get to the colour the complete area is numb, i always thought the outline feels like a slight cutting feeling, and the colour feels like a scratch. If your a person that tans well then i think too the colours fade quicker, ive had one indian ink tatoo on my left hand fade away to nothing as i tan not to bad in summer.

Oops sorry CT, we just had a powercut as i was typing a bit back i just hit post when it came on, so repeated what u have said

jewel said:
As for the pain, I think I have a high tolerance for it, two kids and all,lol. Can't hurt more than that I presume,lol

That's nothing! I had a paper cut once and wow did that sting!

:D

Personally I think they are a mistake. How often in your life have you already changed your views on things, what you like & don't like......... it will be no different with a tatoo other than it's permanent. Would you have the same hair do for the rest of your life ?....if you get my drift ;)

DJW said:
Personally I think they are a mistake. How often in your life have you already changed your views on things, what you like & don't like......... it will be no different with a tatoo other than it's permanent. Would you have the same hair do for the rest of your life ?....if you get my drift ;)

yes.....i'm bald........

NoPix

be a leader not a sheep...............................:ponders:

DJW said:

I totally get your drift DJW. That's why I am thinking of getting something I know my views will never change and means alot to me. I'll always be "Ojibway" and be proud of my heritage. I don't think my views will ever change on that. ;)

Jewel

I only have one on my arm - guitar-based, and since I started playing the guitar 25 years ago, and still do, I can't really see my views changing too dramatically. Plus the fact that said guitar in my tat is being worn by a scantily clad girlie wearing thighboots in front of a rebel flag, I don't regret it one bit!

The other thing - the colours and lines are only a little faded compared to when it was fired in twelve years ago. The inks they use these days are pretty stable, although a lot depends on the skill of the artist, I would have said.

SammyC said:
That's nothing! I had a paper cut once and wow did that sting!

:D

I once stood on a plug.

CT said:
My honest advice Jewel is don't do it, women have great bodies without adorning them with that crap. Cancel the appointment and buy something for the camera. ;)

Another don't do it here Jules, It may be a mid life crisis you wanting a tat but as quoted by others its too late when the ink sets..;)

Never had or wanted a tat but again its your body..:)

And as for body piercing...:hand:

NO WAY...:nut:

busterboy said:
And as for body piercing...:hand:

NO WAY...:nut:

My cousins son had his lipped pierced then developed septicaemia and died.

Extreme case complicated by the fact he had battled with a heart condition since birth.

Body piercing, tattoos, Whips & chains, dyeing your hair green, having your tongue split, taking drugs. You're an adult and perfectly capable of making your own decisions! If you want it, go for it!

But please be very very sure first! My g/f has some india ink tattoos that she did herself and wishes she didn't now.

Mind you, she also has 4 other tattoos that she loves and is planning a fifth, those ones she doesn't regret at all.

I guess by the fact that you're running it past us in the first place that you're not 100% convinced. Otherwise you would've had it done already.

The only other thing I would consider in your position is the precedent you're setting for your children. If you're not happy for them to have them as soon as they reach the legal age then you may have a hard time arguing your case if you look like a mad biker on acid.

Just my tuppence, hope it helps you come to some sort of reasoned decision!

And if you're absolutely dead set on it Jewel then at least let's see a pic when it's done. And one of your sister's stud? :D :getmecoat

I'm not 100% sure as of yet what to do no. Still in limbo. I really really want one but the sensible part of me says not too! I don't agree that getting a tattoo would make me look like a mad biker on acid,lol. Anyhoo, my kids are always at the forefront of my mind and I have thought of that one too. Reason I quit smoking, drinking, etc...lol but what's wrong with wips and chains? :shock: :D

I've never heard of anyone dying from a peircing though, that's really sad. My sister went and got her piercing(s) today. My friend also has her tongue pierced and one down below :shock: Does nuttin for me but I understand it obviously as I'm wanting the tattoo myself. Different strokes I suppose. If I end up getting the tattoo I'll take pics and post em. :D

Thanks for all the advice everyone, definately gives me something to think about. :thumb:

jewel

CT said:
And if you're absolutely dead set on it Jewel then at least let's see a pic when it's done. And one of your sister's stud? :D :getmecoat

Will do Cedric ;) As far as my sister goes, um no. Can't help you out there,lol. She got her (o) (o) pierced,lol :D

Back