Taxing a car monthly

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
My car tax runs out at the end of January, and as I'm expecting to change it soon, I don't really want to tax it for 6 months,. I notice that on the reminder I can do it monthly via direct debit, does anyone do this? And, can I stop after 1 month if I P/X the car? I know that Tax isn't transferable any nore, so it's of no value to the dealer.

My car tax runs out at the end of January, and as I'm expecting to change it soon, I don't really want to tax it for 6 months,. I notice that on the reminder I can do it monthly via direct debit, does anyone do this? And, can I stop after 1 month if I P/X the car? I know that Tax isn't transferable any nore, so it's of no value to the dealer.
You can but they have a nasty habit of keep taking the payments after you've informed them of the sale so cancel the DD ASAP. Don't trust the dealer to inform DVLA of the sale either, do it yourself online, some are notorious for delaying the process so they can ride around in your old car using your tax.

I would just buy one for the year or 6 months. You can just claim back any unused (full month) portion.

You get an automatic refund as soon as the DVLA can be arsed to send it after they get the paperwork when you sell/ p/x a vehicle.

Ah right, I didn't realise you get a "refund" on what's left. With any luck, I'll go in Feb so it will only be 1 month...

I sold a car on the 2nd last day of the month to my local garage. I was paying monthly he advised me to cancel the DD as the DVLA will still charge until there system relises that they have been informed at the current rate that can take a couple of months if your lucky. I cancelled and a few months later got a request for payment. I wrote back explaining that I did not own the car after the date I sold it. About a year later I got another letter requesting payment again. Isent another letter explining why I cancelled the DD which car I replaced it with and why I didnt pick it up untill the 1st of the month and that I had no intention of paying tax for their inefficency. Ive heard no more

yep my car is like £1.75p a month

Ah right, I didn't realise you get a "refund" on what's left. With any luck, I'll go in Feb so it will only be 1 month...
They will only refund you for unused whole months, so if it creeps even one day into the next month you won’t get that one back.

Mine is £0.00 per year :)
My Mazda 3 2 litre petrol Sport is £0 per year as well. My other car Mondeo 2 litre diesel is £30 a year.

They will only refund you for unused whole months, so if it creeps even one day into the next month you won’t get that one back.
Like Cinderella and the clock striking midnight, if you don't want to pay VED for February, then you have to cancel by midnight on the 31st January

Last edited:
I think my last renewal was £675 for a year, and increasing, 2l Honda btw.
Why is that so high for a 2lt petrol I presume or is it a newish diesel.

Mine's not that for a 3l Diesel (13 plate).

You get an automatic refund as soon as the DVLA can be arsed to send it after they get the paperwork when you sell/ p/x a vehicle.
It can take them over six months to catch up. I got speeding tickets for a car I sold for that long after I'd sent off the V5. Phoning them was waste of time. The last straw was they sent me a letter to tell me the direct debit had bounced with the new owners bank details on it. I phoned them and told them I was reporting them for data protection. A few days later they confirmed receit of my V5. Bit of luck that. ;)

It's not called the nincomputer locally for nothing.

Why is that so high for a 2lt petrol I presume or is it a newish diesel.
It does have high ish emissions-band L-but earlier models with the same emissions are in different bands and much cheaper,
March 01-06 £355 ish
Previous £285 ish
Why? Bet the DVLA don’t really know.

The sneaky buggers changed the tax bands, think it was 2017
My ford focus 1L 3 pot was £35 (emissions 114 g/km) in 2015, my new one, with the same engine is £180 (emisions107 g/km)
So I pay loads more for less emissions... go figure.

My 2009 Mercedes C220 cdi (Euro 4) is £0.00 per year (y) CAZ exempt (but not ULEZ)

My ford focus 1L 3 pot was £35 (emissions 114 g/km) in 2015, my new one, with the same engine is £180 (emisions107 g/km)
It was. I was all set to buy a 2017 plate car. Bit the tax was around £360. Got the same car but 2016 and it's £30.

It was. I was all set to buy a 2017 plate car. Bit the tax was around £360. Got the same car but 2016 and it's £30.

wow thats like the cost of servicing and MOT for the year

to be fair the government have been just using sets of large dice to make up VED for decades they seem to be starting to get real
the average small emissions petrol like you say £185-£210 and after that it ramps up quite well and obviously the highest polluters
(diesels) get extra tax on top. Also the silly emission cars get silly numbers which is the way it should be.

in a few years a lot of the cheap VED cars will be off the road and the government might make some decent VED money.

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

Last edited:
I’m sure someone in the car club told me that in Holland vehicles are taxed by weight, this of course does have an effect on roads, and ev’s are quite expensive due to the batteries, not like my 1200kg, 5k annual mileage lightweight

Back