Tea on Computer

I knocked cup of tea on my computer, now not working is there any way I can get photos off compute.

Depends if the hard drive is damaged or not.

If it isnlt should be a simple matter of removing the hard drive and sticking it in an usb enclsoure, something like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Drive-Enclosure-External-FE2004/dp/B00IJNDBM4 and moving the data on to another device.

If the hard drive is damaged you could send it of to a lab for recovery but it can be pretty expensive and there is never a guarantee they will be able to get everything back.

In general:-
Removing the hard drive and putting into a docking bay attached to another computer will allow accessing of the data files for transfering.

The method of removing the hard drive will depend on whether you have laptop or a desktop type.

If you are uncomfortable about 'getting your hands dirty' so to speak then you will need to find someone (friend or shop) to do the job for you.

So, more details required about what you have and what you feel happy to do...........................if done yourself you need to be buying some kit ;)

HTH a bit?

PS @f/2.8 raises an interesting one re: drive damaged, possibly not but the only way to be sure is to try to transfer the images as above.

Last edited:
If it isnlt should be a simple matter of removing the hard drive and sticking it in an usb enclsoure, something like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Drive-Enclosure-External-FE2004/dp/B00IJNDBM4 and moving the data on to another device.

If the hard drive is damaged you could send it of to a lab for recovery but it can be pretty expensive and there is never a guarantee they will be able to get everything back.[/QUOTE]
In general:-
Removing the hard drive and putting into a docking bay attached to another computer will allow accessing of the data files for transfering.

The method of removing the hard drive will depend on whether you have laptop or a desktop type.

If you are uncomfortable about 'getting your hands dirty' so to speak then you will need to find someone (friend or shop) to do the job for you.

So, more details required about what you have and what you feel happy to do...........................if done yourself you need to be buying some kit ;)

HTH a bit?

PS @f/2.8 raises an interesting one re: drive damaged, possibly not but the only way to be sure is to try to transfer the images as above.
Thanks how will I be able just to take pics off, not worried about anything else the laptop has seen better days, so I would get hard drive out of laptop maybe not in a gentle way...lol...wouldn’t I have to view whats transferring, the only device I have now is iPad.

Last edited:
Thanks how will I be able just to take pics off, not worried about anything else the laptop has seen better days, so I would get hard drive out of laptop maybe not in a gentle way...lol...wouldn’t I have to view whats transferring, the only device I have now is iPad.

The hard drive itself is usually fairly easily accessed by removing a couple of screws on the back of the laptop. You should be able to find youtube videos that show how easy it is, vast majority of laptops are exactly the same.

If the laptop is dead you can't just transfer the folder the photos are in by itself. If the drive is still viable you can just treat it as an external hard drive once it is in the enclosure so can move the folders that your photos in to any other computer. It is much more difficult with an iPad and you may not be able to transfer many photo files especially to an iPad any way due to the limited amount of storage they have.

I guess that once you are able to confirm that the hard drive works and you have the enclosure you could ask someone for a lend of another computer then just transfer the photo files you want from the loan computer to the iPad or upload to drop box using the loan computer and download via drop box on to your iPad.

Last edited:
I presume you do not have any form of backup, so, remove hard drive and put it in a caddy as suggested and find a friend that has a computer, plug caddy in and copy images to a new drive.

Laptop drives can usually be accessed pretty easy, just remove screws from base and pull it out. Try youtube for your particular laptop model there is always someone uploaded something.

The hard drive itself is usually fairly easily accessed by removing a couple of screws on the back of the laptop. You should be able to find youtube videos that show how easy it is, vast majority of laptops are exactly the same.

If the laptop is dead you can't just transfer the folder the photos are in by itself. If the drive is still viable you can just treat it as an external hard drive once it is in the enclosure so can move the folders that your photos in to any other computer. It is much more difficult with an iPad and you may not be able to transfer many photo files especially to an iPad any way due to the limited amount of storage they have.

I guess that once you are able to confirm that the hard drive works and you have the enclosure you could ask someone for a lend of another computer then just transfer the photo files you want from the loan computer to the iPad or upload to drop box using the loan computer and download via drop box on to your iPad.
This has really helped, thank you, really appreciated.

I assume you'll be looking for a replacement laptop now?
Unless you have stuff you urgently need access to, it might be best to hold off until you have the new machine to pull data onto from the old drive.

Unless you have stuff you urgently need access to, it might be best to hold off until you have the new machine to pull data onto from the old drive.
:agree: this is a logical approach whether the hard drive is AOK or not!

I will be looking for new laptop, I still have to see if HD is ok so I will do as Tommy said and get a caddy, then try on mates computer.

I will be looking for new laptop, I still have to see if HD is ok so I will do as Tommy said and get a caddy, then try on mates computer.

As suggested, find some 'tube videos of how to remove a laptop drive....................should not be difficult but IMO needs care and not brute force at any stage. Hard drive are robust but do need to be handled with care when out of a housing location. Though I have yet to hear of one damage by ESD (electostatic discharge) just pay attention to grounding yourself IMO......others may say "don't worry about that..............." YMMV as just my opinion and practice that I have always followed ;)

As suggested, find some 'tube videos of how to remove a laptop drive....................should not be difficult but IMO needs care and not brute force at any stage. Hard drive are robust but do need to be handled with care when out of a housing location. Though I have yet to hear of one damage by ESD (electostatic discharge) just pay attention to grounding yourself IMO......others may say "don't worry about that..............." YMMV as just my opinion and practice that I have always followed ;)
Thanks BB just watched a couple and they said same as you, what they suggest is battery out, and a great deal of care with screws etc, seem simple enough task just ordered caddy,

Back