technical video question for the brains on here

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Situation

Camera nikon D810 with a afs 24-70mm f2.8mm G lens, mounted on a tripod., Just tried with the Nikon 70-200mm lens and it does the same thing

What happens

if you use the centre point being the greenhouse sliding door crossbar as centre, when zooming in the centre point moves to the 2'oclock position and zooming out back to the original start point

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrvBNw4uxKw

Is this correct or is the lens slightly out of alignment. Any thoughts most welcome. Or maybe it is just me being too fussy

Last edited:
It appears to me that the 16:9 aspect video is not recorded from the center of the sensor

Sorry to be a bit thick, but are you saying the sensor is slightly out of alignment then? and is this normal for all Nikon cameras or just mine. The camera has never been knocked-banged or dropped so must have been like it from the start but I never noticed it until just now trying out my repaired 24-70 Nikon lens

Last edited:
No, the 16:9 ratio is a crop of the 3:2 sensor area... and it does not appear to be taken from the exact center. I suspect that was done in order to maximize readout speed. I can check my D850 to see if it also does that... but I don't suspect it's damaged in any way.

Have you cropped the video in post. The clip viewed on yt looks like a 2:1 aspect ratio and I beleive the D810 shoots in 16:9 or 4:3.

no cropping by me, but used Adobe Premier Elements14 to put on youtube using their online SD480 (640x480 ) standard quality output, which might explain it. Had to do that as I have a slow internet connection

Last edited:
I don't think the centre of the door is the centre of the frame and the camera isn't level. As the centre of the door isn't the centre of the frame as you zoom in the distance from the centre of the door to the centre of the frame gets larger in terms of the frame making it move to the right. As the camera is pointing up slightly the same is happening with the vertical position.

Back