Teenage Nephew's B&W

First image is the better composition and the background choice was a great idea, however you've missed focus? Must be a shallow depth of field as the left of the she'd is sharp, the right out of focus, but your subject is to the right. Same with his ears and the eyes look a little soft. Why such an open aperture? Nicely lit though.

Second image, not sure about the pose, but you've applied some burn? In post processing? It's blotchy and there's a halo around the subject.

Third, moody teenager shot :) lighting was a little harsh so the shadow is a little off putting.

I'm guessing you moved the light closer for second and third shot?

Fab background, very urban. Agree with the above, first image is by far the best composition. What does the colour look like?
Not much to say on the second - not for me, personally, but I can see why you would like it.
Third - not keen on the composition, the shirt logo is competing for attention, I would be composing the shots without it, or trying to minimise it in post by burning it out a bit. But I don't mind the lighting on it. I think it might do with a better crop?

Scrolling back up again, I have to say, I really do like that first shot. :)

first one is the best

although the shirt in the third is the 'right' one :) I agree that it's a bit distracting

Fab background, very urban. Agree with the above, first image is by far the best composition. What does the colour look like?

Black and white because of the textures of the background. With the football shirt, I'd guess the red would be distracting on the colour version

Black and white because of the textures of the background. With the football shirt, I'd guess the red would be distracting on the colour version
Different shirt between first and last...

First image is the better composition and the background choice was a great idea, however you've missed focus? Must be a shallow depth of field as the left of the she'd is sharp, the right out of focus, but your subject is to the right. Same with his ears and the eyes look a little soft. Why such an open aperture? Nicely lit though.

Second image, not sure about the pose, but you've applied some burn? In post processing? It's blotchy and there's a halo around the subject.

Third, moody teenager shot :) lighting was a little harsh so the shadow is a little off putting.

I'm guessing you moved the light closer for second and third shot?
Thanks for commenting
These was all taken at f5.6 I've got a sneaky feeling I've focused on the left eye rather than the right eye and even then I might of just missed the left eye and hit the shed, I don't usually use f5.6 I usually shoot at f6.7 or f8 I might of turned the dial and didn't realise.
It's these silly mistakes I've got to sort out
Thanks again for taking the time to comment it's much appreciated.

Not much to say on the second - not for me, personally, but I can see why you would like it.
Third - not keen on the composition, the shirt logo is competing for attention, I would be composing the shots without it, or trying to minimise it in post by burning it out a bit. But I don't mind the lighting on it. I think it might do with a better crop?

Scrolling back up again, I have to say, I really do like that first shot. :)
Thank you for commenting
I've been thinking for a while now what a cool background it would make just needed the right subject, I'll post a coloured version up in a bit .
I completely agree with you with regards to the 3rd image and the logo on his t shirt to be honest I only took his picture cause I didn't want him to feel left out .

Thanks so much I really appreciate the feedback

first one is the best

although the shirt in the third is the 'right' one :) I agree that it's a bit distracting
Thank you for commenting and I agree with you the 3rd image the logo is really distracting

Not much colour in the eyes, t-shirt or background - definitely better in b&w for me.(y)

Nope miles better in monochrome, the texture from the background make it. It's still a great keeper family portrait despite the very minor issues, but I believe it's better to give honest comments so were aware of similar in the future.

Last edited:
Nope miles better in monochrome, the texture from the background make it. It's still a great keeper family portrait despite the very minor issues, but I believe it's better to give honest comments so were aware of similar in the future.
I couldn't agree more and thanks again

Hi. Great location. Wish I had an old shed [emoji6]

I like the first in mono. The colour doesn't have the same impact - somehow muted compared to the mono.

Love to see the colour one in mono.

S

Yup, monochrome is deffo better than the colour as it is here..I would have processed the colour to a style that suited, but that's just me personally. The background (shed) is very cool, and a shame not to be able to use it in colour under the right lighting.

Hi. Great location. Wish I had an old shed [emoji6]

I like the first in mono. The colour doesn't have the same impact - somehow muted compared to the mono.

Love to see the colour one in mono.

S
Thanks
When I saw the shed I always had it in my mind that it was going to be a mono image, the shed isn't going nowhere soon so I'll shoot there again and give myself a bit more time, I'll put up a mono version later
Thanks again

Yup, monochrome is deffo better than the colour as it is here..I would have processed the colour to a style that suited, but that's just me personally. The background (shed) is very cool, and a shame not to be able to use it in colour under the right lighting.
Just out of interest how would you of processed the colour image? I'm lacking in editing skills so really interested in what you would do with it.
Also when you say right lighting could you give me some more detail so when I shoot there again I could implement the advice given
Massive thanks for taking the time to help

Mickey

B&W for me shame about the shadows. Some rim lighting would have been superb, but nice shots all the same. I bet the family like them.
Thanks for commenting
I like the look of the shadows, probably next time I shoot there I'll give myself more time and place the light in a better position and add a little rim light.

Thanks Mickey

Just out of interest how would you of processed the colour image? I'm lacking in editing skills so really interested in what you would do with it.
Also when you say right lighting could you give me some more detail so when I shoot there again I could implement the advice given
Massive thanks for taking the time to help

Mickey

Hey Mickey

On what you've got here, this is probably what I would have done to it. But to be honest, it's not really what the end result would be as I would have lit the scene with a large softbox with grids. That would have controlled some of the light flooding onto the background, give it a whole different feel. Then I would have worked that to my style. I'm not saying that it's the right thing to do, or the wrong thing to do... that's just how I would have done it... or rather, experimented with it... It's just how I work. But I'm no expert...

PS - working on an un-calibrated monitor... so it could look 'questionable' regards to tones and overall exposure.
View attachment 35846

Hey Mickey

On what you've got here, this is probably what I would have done to it. But to be honest, it's not really what the end result would be as I would have lit the scene with a large softbox with grids. That would have controlled some of the light flooding onto the background, give it a whole different feel. Then I would have worked that to my style. I'm not saying that it's the right thing to do, or the wrong thing to do... that's just how I would have done it... or rather, experimented with it... It's just how I work. But I'm no expert...

PS - working on an un-calibrated monitor... so it could look 'questionable' regards to tones and overall exposure.
View attachment 35846
That's cool, you know what you've done and said what I was thinking .
I'm trying to get into the habit of taking a small light modifier and a cheap light stand wherever I go and if an opportunity shows it self I'll take the picture (if that makes sense) and this is what kinda happened here, but cause it's at my mums I can go back with some bigger gear and have a better go at it.

Thanks so much it's really appreciated

Thanks
When I saw the shed I always had it in my mind that it was going to be a mono image, the shed isn't going nowhere soon so I'll shoot there again and give myself a bit more time, I'll put up a mono version later
Thanks again
As promised mono version, probably a bit harsh with the processing
IMG_2991-4 by steptoe1972, on Flickr

Back