tele converter

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi i have a canon 80-200mm f2.8 lens what tele converter can i use
as i have looked on every forum on web and it states that canon never made one for it i baught it off e bay for £500 it is called the magic drain pipe
very sharp on my 5d mk 1 but could do with a bit of reach has any body got any info on this lens or info on where i could get a tele converter
i am new to photography 18 mts i realy want to do wedding photography
i have canon 40d and 17-55 lens and canon 5d mk1 with 80-200 lens
regards mixer1

Welcome to TP :)

I don't see any reason why any teleconverter/extender shouldn't fit and function perfectly on that lens. I think there have been various versions, in black and grey, both L lenses - which have you got? Remember that you lose one stop of light with a 1.4x TC, and two stops with 2x, so you would end up with either a 112-280mm f/4 or 160-400mm f/5.6.

And of course you will also lose some image quality. Most people recokon that the 1.4x is okay, but 2x is pushing it a bit too far. Depends on the quality of the mother lens - all the TC is doing is magnify the mother lens image, warts and all, plus adding a few warts of its own.

Canon extenders are good, but the only third party (cheaper) one that gets consistently good mentions is the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x for about £120.

Canon's extenders don't fit the 80-200/2.8L as the lens' rear element housing fouls the extenders front optic. Tamron or Kenko's versions should be okay though.

Bob

Canon's extenders don't fit the 80-200/2.8L as the lens' rear element housing fouls the extenders front optic. Tamron or Kenko's versions should be okay though.

Bob

Thanks for that correction Bob. I'm surprised. Perhaps one of the reasons for the redesign.

Bob Ol Buddy, you are such a gent! Not a rebuff at all - just a polite correction. I'm very happy to be corrected at any time. Facts is facts.

I thought I was on safe ground with my answer that any TC would fit, it being a longish L zoom an' all, especially as the current 70-200L has no probs.

Cheers my friend :)

Richard.

I used a kenko 1.4 with my magic drainpipe, it worked ok but have to say IQ did suffer a lot.

I just got a Kenko 2x this morning and put it straight on my 70-200 and it performed admirably at 400mm. No great loss of quality nor noticeable issues with speed or AF.

thanks for your replies will look for tc you spoke about . thanks michael

Back