Teleconverter or not

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of getting a nikon TC-14E AF-S Teleconverter lll for my nikon D500 with the Nikon 200-500 f5.6. There are so many differing opinions out there using this combination.If anyone uses this set up I would appreciate any advice/opinion as to whether this would be an advantage over cropping. Many thanks Chris

The combination worked pretty well for me as the Mk3 converter lost very little image quality.
Remember you will be shooting at f8 with the TC attached and there will be a slight hit to AF but the D500 is so good with AF that you probably won't miss a shot. :)

The combination worked pretty well for me as the Mk3 converter lost very little image quality.
Remember you will be shooting at f8 with the TC attached and there will be a slight hit to AF but the D500 is so good with AF that you probably won't miss a shot

Thanks for the reply Gramps that sounds encouraging :giggle:

Having run the combo for a while i concur that image quality hit will be acceptable. The AF hit can be quite noticeable though when the light starts to go, most of the places I get to shootin the NW the light can be terrible early/late in the day so it was a show stopper for me.

I've tried a 1.4 TC with a D500 and 300mm F4.

The downside is too down for me personally. Slight but noticeable hit in IQ. Need faster shutter speed. Not such an issue with VR I guess. Slight but noticeable AF effect.

So, for me, on balance, even though there's little in it, I prefer to crop. I know others love the combo though.

I use a 1.4x teleconverter behind my Fuji 100-400 which I think is on a par with the Nikkor 200-500. Yes, the AF takes a slight hit in terms of speed but for me (shooting still, distant wildlife or panning on vehicles moving parallel to me), that's not a problem. Sounds like the D500 can cope with the pairing too and can be used at fairly high ISOs as well. I often need to crop into the resulting image so need all the MP I can get (I have a 2x converter as well but that's TOO big a hit on both AF and IQ in most instances). As has been said, good light helps. Quite a lot!

I tested a TC-14E III, with my D500/200-500 and although it works ok in decent light, I found AF performance dropped off and the images a little 'soft' for my liking.

Bearing in mind, you have a crop-sensor, I would personally just crop and get a better image. - Save some money at the same time!

I tested a TC-14E III, with my D500/200-500 and although it works ok in decent light, I found AF performance dropped off and the images a little 'soft' for my liking.

Bearing in mind, you have a crop-sensor, I would personally just crop and get a better image.

Thanks Glynn, several people have said this maybe it depends on the copy of the lens you get as to the IQ. Seems like its a 50/50 opinion as to benefits:cautious:

I'm not sure that's right. I think it's how sensitive you are to the difference between TC or no TC

I agree Simon,we all have a limit of what is acceptable to our eye.The reason I mentioned the copy of the lens was I had read that several people had bought poor copies of the 200-500 and had to exchange them. I think your sentence in your first reply sums up how I feel about it,"there's little in it TC or crop"so is a TC worth the money? Many thanks for your replies.

I'm not sure that's right. I think it's how sensitive you are to the difference between TC or no TC

I agree Simon,we all have a limit of what is acceptable to our eye.The reason I mentioned the copy of the lens was I had read that several people had bought poor copies of the 200-500 and had to exchange them. I think your sentence in your first reply sums up how I feel about it,"there's little in it TC or crop"so is a TC worth the money? Many thanks for your replies.

A TC will give you more usable pixels from the 19mp your D500 provides ... with good copies of lens and TC + good long lens technique IMO you will be better off using a TC, unless you are so close to your subject that it doesn't really matter.

A TC will give you more usable pixels from the 19mp your D500 provides ... with good copies of lens and TC + good long lens technique IMO you will be better off using a TC, unless you are so close to your subject that it doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the reply Gramps, have just been reading lots of reviews on BH video, most of which are positive towards using a TC with this combo. The long lens technique needs some honing for me I think.

Back