Teleconvertor Which One? Nikon Fit:

Edit My Images
No
As title, I would like to get myself a 2x tele for my D80, to use with a macro lens and also to use with a 300mm prime which I hope to get at some point. Is there much difference in quality and functionality?

Kenko
Sigma
Nikkor

Which should I be looking at, any pros and cons?

Any links would be appreciated.

Simple answer is that the 'lens' is everything here. If your lens is good, why stick a bottle-bottom on it and expect good images? High mp cameras 'punish' poor lenses so your D80 expects the best

If you can afford it, buy Nikon - I use the 1.7x, much more powerful than the 1.4x and doesn't lose as much light as the 2x

Ultimately it's about price - but anything cheap is probably rubbish, and then you'll be disappointed; which means you'll eventually buy a quality one and then you wasted whatever you paid for the crap one in the first place!

If you've been 'Good' this year, send an emergency note to Santa! YNK

If it's a Sigma lens, use a Sigma converter. If it's a Nikon lens use a Nikon converter. - Simple as that ! If you don't believe me ask Messiah Khan, he went for a Kenko at his cost if I remember correctly.

I'd agree with Gareths post. Sigma TC's work great on Sigma lenses. The OP doesn't say what 300mm lens though. If it's not an f2.8 then I'd forget a 2x convertor, you'll loose auto-focus.

I use a 1.4x with my 300/2.8 and have been considering a 2x but that's only to gain back the effective focal length I've lost going full frame. On a crop body like a D8 then 2x a 300mm is giving you an effective 900mm focal length, you'd best have a good tripod...

Pete

If it's a Sigma lens, use a Sigma converter. If it's a Nikon lens use a Nikon converter. - Simple as that ! If you don't believe me ask Messiah Khan, he went for a Kenko at his cost if I remember correctly.

Yup.:(

I got a set of Kenko Converters to use on my Sigma 300mm f2.8. Turns out that the Kenko converters do not like Sigma HSM lenses, and would cause the camera to crash. When I contacted the distributers of Kenko, they replied that it was a known about problem with no fix. They work fine on my only Nikon lens. so I would agree with Gareth_R; Sigma lens = Sigma converter, Nikon Lens = Nikon converter.

They will be and are sigma lenses, cant afford the nikkor equivs. Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated!

If you don't want to be dissappointed by the image quality: don't get a TC!

Back