Teleconvertor

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I am considering the purchase of a teleconvertor, spcifially a Nikon AF-S TC-17E II. I know you lose a step or two but would like to hear thoughts from anyone with hands on experience of using a teleconvertor please.

You need to supply a bit more information-with what camera and lens combination do you intend using it?
Not all lenses work with a TC and depending on the camera /lens combination you may or may not retain auto focus.

It can work well, I have used it with various long lenses including a Nikon 500 f4 and got some good results.
It will affect the AF, making it a bit slower to focus but depending on what you are shooting this may not cause you an issue, however if you need really fast AF then you could be disappointed.
As Chris says, using it with the wrong combination of camera/lens may mean that you will lose AF altogether.

Yes I have one experience of using a teleconverter.

It broke my D800 so I wouldn't touch them if they were free lol.

This question comes up so often I wrote something for my website:

https://spark.adobe.com/page/pemWGeihe1GJz/

It all depends what lens you plan to use it on. They won’t fit on to some lenses. Generally the lens needs to f2.8 or f4 for the 1.7x TC. There are some newer f5.6 lenses that can use a TC but generally the aperture is the limiting factor as you can be up at f8-f11 max aperture which in low or poor light is very limiting.

I wanted to Use it for longer distances so that I can get tighter shots of the subject. I have D7200 and a Nikon af-s 55 - 300 f4 - 5.6.

Pretty sure the Nikon version will not fit that lens. Some other 3rd party brands might, but you could find the Nikon will actually damage your lens.
The compatibility page isn’t working on the Nikon site, but from everything else I’ve read, it’s a no go.

I wanted to Use it for longer distances so that I can get tighter shots of the subject. I have D7200 and a Nikon af-s 55 - 300 f4 - 5.6.
Unless it’s a kenko 1.4TC it probably won’t fit. The Nikon teleconverter needs a recessed rear element for the teleconverter to fit on. If there isn’t a recess the lens’s protruding rear element will hit the teleconverter glass probably damaging both.

Another point is with a f5.6 lens a 1.7x TC would take it beyond f8 which Nikon say some cameras will AF with a teleconverter. Sadly it’s not so simple as buying a teleconverter and get an amazing focal length increase.

Personally if you what more focal length I would buy a 300mm f4 AF-S D lens (circa £400-500- maybe sell your 55-300mm) then add a 1.4x teleconverter at a later date.

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice, I think a lens upgrade maybe the way to go.

I had all three mk2 nikon tcs that i used with both my 500f4 vr prime and 600mm vr prime in the end i sold them on as only the 1.4tc was sharp enough for my needs. I replaced them with a much cheaper kenko N-AF 1.4 pro300 tc which i love its much sharper than the nikon tcs and works on all of my lenses with out any issues. Currently its sitting in between my sigma sport and d850. Heres a sample image taken hand held at 750mm with a 1/640 shutter speed @ f9. This was the first shot i took with this tc on this lens without any fine tune calibration. View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ritchiea/48032608197/in/dateposted-public/

Back