TELEPHOTO for 450D help please

Name
Richie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi chaps. I have just bought my wife a 450D for xmas and now she wants a telephoto lens.

has anybody got any experiance with a half decent telephoto lens for between £100/200

thanks so much

In that price range you can't do much better than the Sigma 70-300mm APO for about £130-£150

Personally I rate the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS. Came out top in 0ne of the tests in the Photoplus mag last year. Great lens for the money - Around £180

I had this lens on my 450d and it worked an absolute treat.

My experience with above Sigma was that I couldn't hold it steady at 300mm.
For this reason, your wife may prefer the Efs 55-250Is at about £190.

Personally I rate the Canon 55-250 IS. Came out top in the Photoplus mag last year. Great lens for the money - Around £180
Good point - I'd forgotton about that one!

Siggy 70-300 APO is soft at 300 ,if you zoom in a bit, while not great, it's a wee bit better

If the budget were a little higher say £200-300 is there a lens that would be significantly better than the above recommendations?

If you can stretch a bit more the canon 70-300 is very well regarded, but its more like £350 I think.
Got a 55-250 for xmas, only had one proper go with it but I'm pretty impressed, I'll get some pics up and post them.

I agreed with nigpd i purchase mine 55-250 about three weeks ago great lens for the money

I have a Siggy 70-300 apo a great cheapo lens. check out my marwell threads, all shots were taken with this lens.

Have a look here: http://flickr.com/photos/hotrods/tags/55250/ - my first few pics with my 55-250, see what you think. Shot in RAW but there is either no post processing or only a few tweaks for saturation etc.

Keep in mind I'm still a newbie to DSLRS and this is the first telephoto I've had my hands on, so if I knew what I was doing they would probably be better :nuts:

@250

wide open @250

Back