Telephoto for A6xxx

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
Last year I finally parted with my 10 year setup (Canon 500D, Sigma 17-50, Tamron 70-300 VC and 50 1.8) in exchange for a Sony A6500, Sony 16-70 and Sigma 30 1.4, with a view I’ll decide on a telephoto later.

I’m super happy with the setup except for missing having a telephoto lens. In the last 10 years I only used the Tamron 70-300 5-10% of the time but was so glad I had it when I did use it as I’ve got photos I really like (monkeys in Ubud forest in Bali for example). I’d hate to think I could go on a trip and be missing longer focal lengths to capture special moments.

With options limited to £150ish for the 55-210 or >£700 for the 70-300 / 70-350 I feel like the no brainer option is to go with the 55-210, however I would be disappointed if it is not as good as the Tamron 70-300 I had on the Canon (disregarding the shorter length).

With the little use it would have (zoos and some landscapes deserving a crop), I also struggle to bring myself to spend £700 or more for something I may use only a handful of times a year. A
pro of the 70-300 would be if I ever upgrade to an A7iii, but I don’t see why I would invest in FF glass when I don’t even know if I’ll ever go FF...(I could spend a lot just in case of a ‘what if?’)

Have any of you had a good experience with the 55-210 and find it adequate for your needs?

Any general advice welcome

Hi
I had the 55-210 on my A6600 but traded up to the 70-350 last year and it really is a step up in image quality along with the extra focal length.
Agreed it is not a cheap lens (not by my standards anyway) and I think you’ve already hit on the issue of whether you would use it enough to justify the cost. In all honesty mine hasn’t seen a lot of use but my plan is to pair it with my recently acquired Tamron 17-70 and only take these two on holidays in future.
If you haven’t already done so there’s a couple of comparison videos of the 2 lenses on YouTube which might help, only one that comes to mind at the moment is by an American guy called Arthur R but do a search on Christopher Frost, he’s always good for quality lens reviews.

Rob

Hi
I had the 55-210 on my A6600 but traded up to the 70-350 last year and it really is a step up in image quality along with the extra focal length.
Agreed it is not a cheap lens (not by my standards anyway) and I think you’ve already hit on the issue of whether you would use it enough to justify the cost. In all honesty mine hasn’t seen a lot of use but my plan is to pair it with my recently acquired Tamron 17-70 and only take these two on holidays in future.
If you haven’t already done so there’s a couple of comparison videos of the 2 lenses on YouTube which might help, only one that comes to mind at the moment is by an American guy called Arthur R but do a search on Christopher Frost, he’s always good for quality lens reviews.

Rob

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Were it not for the limited focal length vs the 70-350, would you have kept the 55-210? I.e. was the image quality good enough for you. Having looked on Flickr at 55-210 images some of them seem sharp enough to give an overall good quality image, for £150 quid used it seems like great value.

Good idea to pair the 17-70 with the 70-350, all that range from two lenses!

Will have a look at vids, thanks, however I find they are rarely unbiased....

I have the 55-210 on my A6000 as part of my 'travel/holiday' camera set - the priority for me is maximum versatility, minimum size / weight, while keeping the IQ / controls, etc.

I'm happy with it for the price - it's certainly possible to get good images with it, but I'd probably upgrade to the 70-350 if price wasn't a factor.

Were it not for the limited focal length vs the 70-350, would you have kept the 55-210? I.e. was the image quality good enough for you. Having looked on Flickr at 55-210 images some of them seem sharp enough to give an overall good quality image, for £150 quid used it seems like great value.

Yes I probably would have, I was happy with the image quality but wanted the extra reach.

Will have a look at vids, thanks, however I find they are rarely unbiased....

Totally get that but in fairness Christopher Frost has a good reputation for thorough and unbiased reviews. He has reviewed so many lenses over the years that it would be impossible for him to be influenced by manufacturers IMO.

I bought the 70-350 mm last week for my A6600 and expect to use it for wildlife once we can get out shooting again. This will give me longer reach than I have for my Canon 5D4 as I never felt I could justify buying a long lens for this particularly as they are so heavy. In comparison the Sony 70-350mm is quite light.

Dave

Sounds good.

Out of interest, why not go for the 70-300 G to give you flexibility if you ever go to full frame, or are you sure you’re not going to FF?

Sounds good.

Out of interest, why not go for the 70-300 G to give you flexibility if you ever go to full frame, or are you sure you’re not going to FF?

I already have a Full Frame Canon EOD 5D Mkiv which is excellent but too heavy. I will keep this for now and maybe just use it for studio work or when I know I will not have to carry it more than a few metres. I will not be going FF for the Sony or I would have started out that way but the combined weights of cameras with lenses are just as heavy as for my DSLR.

Dave

Back