Telephoto for Olympus 4/3?

C

Carlitos

Hi chaps,
I currently use a sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 for my close up nature shots. I'm looking for something which has faster auto focusing and 500mm+. ( http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/lenses/telezoom/135-400mm.htm is what I'm using now)

Olympus offer a decent looking 300mm 2.8f, with the tele x 2 would be nice but it has a very heavy price tag.

Anybody know of other options I can look at?

Probably better asking at dpreview as I don't think there are many oly shooters here.

Sigma have a 4/3's 150mm f/2.8 MACRO lens. Couple that with a 2x teleconverter and you will be looking at a 600mm f/4.

Alternatively, if you wanted to plump more money down the Olympus 150mm f/2.0 is a fantastic looking lens. That will give you 600mm f/3.5? with a 2x teleconverter.

There's also the 90-250 f/2.8 by Olympus.

Olympus 150 f/2.0

I use the 50-200mm (soon to be upgraded to the SWD version for quicker focusing) along with the 1.4 or 2.0 teleconvertors. At standard its 3.5 at the long end, so may be a little slow for you with the 2x TC on it.

Never really looked at the alternatives.

There is a thread over at e-group.net (good Oly site if you've never visited - tell em Chillimonster sent you ;) ) about the Bigma on the Oly.

Which body are you using?

Well, there is a 4/3 mount 50-500mm from Sigma, and a 300-800mm f/5.6 (but I suspect that'sslightly outside your budget!)...

I'm using the E410 body.
I am tempted by the Sigma 300-800mm but I can't really justify the cost (would get some great results though). I have thought about the 500mm but was hoping for something with a wider aperture.

150mm lens with 2x TC = 600mm? you mean at 35mm equiv? I've not used a TC before.

150mm lens with 2x TC = 600mm? you mean at 35mm equiv? I've not used a TC before.

Yeah, as the 4/3 system has a sensor approx. 2x smaller than the 35 mm standard the focal lengths are effectively doubled. This would mean the Zuiko 150 mm f/2.0 has an effective focal length of 300 mm. Couple this with a 2x teleconverter and you will be using a 600 mm equivalent lens. I would of guessed that that would be long enough for what you are wanting to do.

If however, plumping GBP2000 (no pound sign on my laptop) for the above combo is too much, Olympus also have to 50-200 mm SWD lens. It is supposed to be a corker of a lens.

Alternatively you could look at one of the Sigma lenses. But as mentioned the aperture at the maximum focal length is somewhat slow. Unless the light is very good you will struggle to get low ISO high quality results.

Cheers guys. I do have my old OM lenses (the 50mm 1.4f can give some nice results) but would prefer AF. I think I'll just stick with my 400mm (35mm 800mm equv) Sigma for a while longer. I was perhaps too optimistic in looking for something better but still cheap.

Back