Telephoto lens Canon

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

Looking at getting my dad a lens for his camera.

He currently has the 600D with only the kit lens 18-55mm

I have been looking at which longer lens to get him, so far I have got down to a few options

Canon 55-250 EFS
Sigma 70-30
Tamron 70-300

Which one of these would people go for, looking over websites they all seem to be around the same price.

He will just be using this for general use nothing specific.

I still have my 55-250 - I got 2 kit lenses with my 600D an 18-55 and this one - for general purpose it's a great lens especially if it's just-for-fun photography - I'f he's doing small crops from photo's he may notice it's not perfect but for the money it's super.
I'm looking at upgrading to a 24-70 but at almost £600 maybe outside your budget - especially for a Christmas prezzie (depending on how much you love your daddy lol)

Had the 55-250is and it is a fantastic first telephoto zoom. Does he definitely want/need a longer zoom at the moment, as if he is new to photography it might be worth getting him something like a 50mm 1.8. I know when I first started I learnt a hell of a lot by just using that lens, more so than using a combination of 18-55 & 55-250.

Had the 55-250is and it is a fantastic first telephoto zoom. Does he definitely want/need a longer zoom at the moment, as if he is new to photography it might be worth getting him something like a 50mm 1.8. I know when I first started I learnt a hell of a lot by just using that lens, more so than using a combination of 18-55 & 55-250.

I almost mentioned exactly the same thing but I suspect as a hobby photographer the 55-250 zoom would be used more than say, a 50mm prime. I'm looking to get a 50mm 1.8 prime (at under £100 can't go wrong really).

Tamron has VC which is basically the same thing.

Never tried the Canon lens but had the Tamron briefly and it was very good for the money.
Well yes Tamron do the VC USD version of thier 70-300mm lens but I was assuming that the question was for lenses in the same price bracket, the VC USD version is at least double the price of the 3 lenses mentioned above. If the budget can stretch to the VC version (which I have) then that would be far superior.

Although I gave in and got myself a nifty 50, I wish I'd saved up for a 35 or even 40 mm. The 55-250 is almost my walk about whilst the 50 is just a bit long for me.

Well yes Tamron do the VC USD version of thier 70-300mm lens but I was assuming that the question was for lenses in the same price bracket, the VC USD version is at least double the price of the 3 lenses mentioned above. If the budget can stretch to the VC version (which I have) then that would be far superior.

I just clicked on his link for the 70-300mm and it took me to a Amazon page showing the VC version ... maybe that's just this forum doing the linking though. ;)

Speaking from experience having had both lenses (canon 55-250) and (Tamron 70-300 VC USD) and still have and love the Tamron 70-300 VC USD. The Tamron is far superior in every sense of the word, build quality, image quality, faster AF. having said that if your budget doesn't stretch to the vc version than get the canon 55-250 as it a good bit of glass altho not a patch on the vc tamron

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone, am looking at getting the 55-250 justto find somewhere with a decemt price now.

I'd recommend the Canon 55-250IS - great lens for the price and fits perfectly with the 18-55 lens he already has.

Thanks everyone, am looking at getting the 55-250 justto find somewhere with a decemt price now.

Have a look on camerapricebuster.co.uk - lists lots of places with prices (y)

Another vote for the 55-250 used to have one when I was in the Canon camp, best budget telephoto for the money.

Back