Telephoto lens decision help?

33L

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
No
I am having second thoughts about the sigma 120-300mm f/2.8. the reason being is that i do more photography sub 200mm and its really only holidays where i go over that. Even in Kenya i only had 300mm and did quite well.

I am really tempted by the canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS. It will get used more, the start at 70mm means i have full focal range of 17-200mm with no gaps and that can be extended to 280mm with a 1.4x TC. It wieghs a whole Kilo less, its smaller, another bonus is that it has IS.

Yes sure the 300mm @2.8 is something i would love to have but i also need fast lenses for low light work so that rules out the 100-300 f/4 from Sigma & the Canon 100-400 f4-5.6. I think the 300mm @2.8 and the posiblilty that i could get a relatively cheap 600 f/5.6 with a 2x TC made it a ver attractive option for just £500 more.

What do you rekon is it me getting inpatient and not wanting to wait for another month or so to get the sigma lens or do you think the 70-200L IS 2.8 should have been my first thought.

Lee.

I think you'll find the IS is a boon especially with the heavier lenses.

I had a Sigma 135-400 a few years ago. I was not happy with it. and got the Canon 100-400 as a replacement. The reason I changed was the auto focus was way to slow no IS and Heavy. (The Canon is no lightweight either). I'd also be careful of the 2x converter. ( well the Canon one anyway) it's not as good as the 1.4x.

Ask yourself the question How often will I need something longer than 200 (280 with a converter)? I suspect the answer, may be not often.

Me I'd go for the Canon

See Dino's thread below re the Canon lens

keep in mind you won't get f/2.8 on the canon with a 1.4tc. That said, I have the sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and a 1.4tc and i'm still more than happy with the results even at f/4.0.

yeah i reaslised that but it would be a few times i would need the extra reach - will see how i cope without the extender.

The other reason i was leaning towards sigma is so i can use thte same extender on my sigma 150mm as well. I dont know if i want to mix and match lens and converters. Is it a good ideal to keep lens and converter the same manufacturer!?

I'd be tempted by the 70-200 - it's a much more versatile combination and much easier to carry around. I use the 70-200 with a 1.4x a lot of the time and recently complemented it with a 300/2.8 prime.

......so i can use thte same extender on my sigma 150mm as well. I dont know if i want to mix and match lens and converters. Is it a good ideal to keep lens and converter the same manufacturer!?

Canon or Kenko on a Canon lens but I'd definately stick to Sigma on a Sigma lens.

If you're looking at putting the converter on your 150 for telephoto use then a 70-200 will cover that range fine. If you're looking to increase magnification for macro then you'll be much better off with a tube and keeping the extra glass out of the light path.....the image degradation of a T/C is more noticeable at the higher magnifications.

Bob

I would seriously consider the Sigma 70-200. I have one and find it a very good lens.

will a tube drop my working distance as thats what i am trying to maintain. I am not looking for telephoto work with the sigma, well not with the extender anyway.

I would seriously consider the Sigma 70-200. I have one and find it a very good lens.

i would rather the IS as i know it will be beneficial. the other sigma i wanted (120-300mm) i think was decided badly. not because it was a sigma its just not suitable for portraiture and more a wild life lens. I have 3 weddings that i am covering as a second tog over the next 2 years and other shoots coming up so IS may help in the low light. I rather spend the money and not regret being a cheapskate.

I had the 120-300mm sigma, with the 1.4X converter on I couldn't notice any difference in picture quality but with the 2x on there was a very noticeable drop, before thinking I could double my focal length with a 2x i'd try one out, you may not be happy with the results

no 2x TC are going to be used if i need a 2xTC with the 70-200 i will start looking at thet 300 & 400 primes

1.4 TC only for the 70-200 and that will be used very rarely, i know zooms aren't very happy when using TC's

will a tube drop my working distance as thats what i am trying to maintain. I am not looking for telephoto work with the sigma, well not with the extender anyway.

Yes, the lost working distance is the trade off against lost sharpness with the T/C.

Bob

thanks Bob, How much loss do you think i will see with the TC and what tube would be suitable for the lens and how much working distance would i lose?

thanks Bob, How much loss do you think i will see with the TC and what tube would be suitable for the lens and how much working distance would i lose?

To achieve the same 1.4x magnification that the T/C would give you, your working distance would be around 210mm (down from 380mm)

Bob

I have been reasing reveiws on the 70-200mm 2.8 IS and one thing that keeps getting mentioned is the CA!

now for a lens that cost well over £1000 and considered proffessional level material it is worrying. Is it something i am reading into too much and can it be easily fixed in post?

I have been reasing reveiws on the 70-200mm 2.8 IS and one thing that keeps getting mentioned is the CA!

now for a lens that cost well over £1000 and considered proffessional level material it is worrying. Is it something i am reading into too much and can it be easily fixed in post?
"Keeps getting mentioned"?

On Fred Miranda, 309 users have given that lens an average score of 9.4 out of 10. The most common negative comments are price and size/weight, which have nothing to do with optical quality.

You're reading too much.

But if you want to try one before you commit to £1000+, you know where to come. ;)

thanks Stewart - think i needed that reality check - maybe i just want it to be perfect.

as for the lens hire i may be coming your way sometime soon on a different matter!

You're reading too much.

;)

I'd agree with stuarts statement, you're forgetting the anally retentive now have a medium to air their views and people moan a lot more than they praise, it's the same in home cinema, the spanners will pick something to pieces because they say they can hear the difference between cheap and expensive speaker cable :wacky:

yeah probably just someone having to give it a less than perfect review. but i look for the reviews that give the shortfalls of the product. At least that way i'm not going OMG when i get it and dissapointed.

Back