hi all

my first advise request

is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS
ok as a telephoto

i just need something to to get in closer

thanks in advance

alan

Oops sorry did't notice the IS in your post :bonk:
The IS version looks very much better than non-IS :)

I think its a very good lens for the money. There are better lenses out there but they can cost 4, 5 or 6 times the amount :)

I have just bought one of these from someone here, not had a chance to go outdoors properly with it yet to test the reach etc but the IQ seems pretty good so far from the test shots I fired off. There are non-Canon 70-300 lenses which are good reach on crop body cameras (and there have been some Canon ones for sale here lately but more expensive than the 55-250) but I couldn't find anything else in the price bracket of the 55-250 with such good reviews.

Happy shopping :)

Yes a good lens and highly rated for the price, gets very good reviews and often out performs other more expensive lenses, the other lens to keep your eye open for (depending on money) is the Canon 70-300IS lens, they can come up second hand on here (y)

I am very happy with my older Canon EF 70-210mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. I will only replace it with 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM which is 8x the price. I don't think any other consumer lens would have ring USM (really makes a difference) and sharp crisp glass. L is only slightly sharper.

A couple of week after I got my camera I was looking for a longer lens, went for a Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro, no problems with it, but now I'm going for the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS, reasons being it covers the gap between my 18-55 EF-S and the 70-300 Sigma, plus it as IS, and I think it would be the lens that I would keep on my camera.

I too have been debating between the Canon EF-S 55-250 IS vs Canon EF 75-300mm F4.0-5.6 USM III

Same price point, but I am tending towards the 55-250.

I'll make my decision overnight and order tomorrow for a Friday delivery...

Anyone care to add to the dilemma and maybe help both of us?

Back