Telephoto Zoom?

Edit My Images
Yes
I've been lurking and learning for a little while now and was hoping for a little bit of advice about a telephoto zoom. When I first got my camera, i very foolishly bought the Sigma 70-300mm (not the APO) and after sticking it out for far too long, i think it's time to replace....

If money was no object i'd be grabbing some Canon L glass, and I am prepared to save (although it may take forever!). I don't think though that I can hack my current lens while I save, so need an alternative.

I obviously should have bought the APO at the time, but wonder if i'd be better off with some IS now i've got the chance.... so really I'm after suggestions.

I've seen the Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS and I guess the IS would help with camera shake in low light... I'm not planning on full frame short of winning the lottery so the EF-S wouldn't be a problem...

Any other ideas?

How about the Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS?

People are always raving about that lens.

Another vote for the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS, sharp for it's price and not too bulky, I replaced mine with a 100-400 but wish had still kept it because it was a nice size lens.

I've been lurking and learning for a little while now and was hoping for a little bit of advice about a telephoto zoom. When I first got my camera, i very foolishly bought the Sigma 70-300mm (not the APO) and after sticking it out for far too long, i think it's time to replace....

If money was no object i'd be grabbing some Canon L glass, and I am prepared to save (although it may take forever!). I don't think though that I can hack my current lens while I save, so need an alternative.

I obviously should have bought the APO at the time, but wonder if i'd be better off with some IS now i've got the chance.... so really I'm after suggestions.

I've seen the Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS and I guess the IS would help with camera shake in low light... I'm not planning on full frame short of winning the lottery so the EF-S wouldn't be a problem...

Any other ideas?

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=50246

I got all those shots with the Sigma 70-300.
It is by no means a bad lens, and if you really think to yourself, do you think buying another budget telephoto zoom would be a worthwhile investment?

If you're on a budget I can recommend the 70-300 IS USM lens as well - keep a look out on the for sale section as mine may appear on there soon as I've just upgraded to a Sigma 100-300 f/4.

If you can't stretch to canon L glass but want something better than a budget lens - I'd recommend you take a look at the 100-300 from Sigma

Why not see if you can pick up a good condition used 100-400? For a single (longer zoom) lens solution it is really good value for the price.

Interesting ideas.... I like the sound of the 70-300, but the 400 sounds rather good too!
Been out after work, trying to take some deer shots and at 300mm with the Sigma at iso 1600, i could only get a SS of 1/25 which wasn't quite sharp hand held, (unsurprisingly!) so definately need something faster or with IS...

Back