Telescope Recommendations

Name
mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi All

Firstly, if this is in the wrong section, please move it.

I am interested in the idea of astrophotography, and would like to link my Nikon Z6 to a telescope. Trouble is, I have no idea where to start!

What telescope is needed? What mount? etc etc.

If anyone can help it would be truly appreciated.

I'm into landscape night skies rather than deep space but there are a few telescope type lenses such as from Redcat, Move Shoot Move have a something 180 lens, etc which may be suitable.

You are certainly going to want a tracked mount at minimum, maybe even guided.

Thank You for the replies, I'm only really interested in pics of the moon for now. I'll check them websites you've mentioned

Sorry to come in little late on this thread @Mark-Anthony but I have been busy with work.

Buying a telescope can be a minefield as there are so many things to consider. For example, what you are planing to view - which in your case you have specified the Moon.

Then there is the question of equatorial mounts, for example, to attach to your telescope and automatically track the rotation of the stars to keep them in view when trying to focus on a particular constellation or other star cluster.

As well as the other suggestions on here I would recommend a visit to The Sky Searchers (TSS) astronomy Forum. I am a Moderator there and there are a variety of sections on telescopes that you can view as a Guest.

If you get really stuck, just come back to me with your specific requirements and I can try and help you as best I can. For example; is weight an issue, your budget, do you want to be able to transport it easily to visit specific dark sites to view the sky away from city lights. Don't panic too much though Mark. Even the more experienced astronomers on TSS get a little confused about what to go for.

Thank You for the replies, I'm only really interested in pics of the moon for now. I'll check them websites you've mentioned

Just use a long lens for now? For the Moon you don't need a driven mount - a normal tripod and head will be fine (assuming it's hefty enough to carry the weight and prevent any movement when it's locked up). As Vanessa said above, buying a telescope/mount and especially astrophotography is a minefield. Not to mention expensive. BTW you can also image the larger DSOs (deep sky objects) with a long lens. I use a 150-600mm on a crop sensor dslr so effectively 960mm. You will need a driven mount for that though. I have a Skywatcher EQ3-2 and it carries the weight just fine. It would probably struggle with something like a 200mm scope + camera but it wasn't unduly expensive and it's fairly light as mounts go. I did have a fair amount of experience of visual observing and imaging with other people's scopes, which is the ideal way of learning and getting an idea of what you want (or don't want!). Do you have a local astronomical society?

For the Moon, you don't even NEED a tripod (although it can help if you don't have VR/IS.

For the Moon, you don't even NEED a tripod (although it can help if you don't have VR/IS.

Some people don't............
Some of us petite ladies ...........
Seriously, no a lot of folks (men) don't need a tripod, but if you want to guarantee a really sharp shot with a long lens it's worth using one if you have one.

@Mark-Anthony of course you don't have to use a telescope to view the Moon.

If you want to keep the initial cost fairly low until you get to see how you enjoy the hobby, you could purchase a decent quality pair of binoculars.

Personally, I use Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars. They are light-weight enough to hold them steady by hand for a limited time, but I recommend getting a sturdy tripod for longer viewing sessions.

Also, I have a Nikon D82 Fieldscope with a 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece. I also use it for birdwatching but gives an excellent close-up of the Moon.

Just a couple of extra options for you to consider Mark :)

If you want to take a picture of the Moon you certainly don't need a tripod for full disc shots, the moon is actually very bright. So using a lens with a focal length 400mm or even higher will certainly work. A teleconverter will get you even closer.

Use Aperture or Manual mode and adjust the ISO to give you a shutter speed of at least 1/500th sec to overcome the motion of the moon.

If you want to get closer and pick out individual areas with craters then you need to use a focal length of over 600mm, so a telescope and tripod will be needed.

@Mark-Anthony of course you don't have to use a telescope to view the Moon.

If you want to keep the initial cost fairly low until you get to see how you enjoy the hobby, you could purchase a decent quality pair of binoculars.

Personally, I use Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars. They are light-weight enough to hold them steady by hand for a limited time, but I recommend getting a sturdy tripod for longer viewing sessions.

Also, I have a Nikon D82 Fieldscope with a 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece. I also use it for birdwatching but gives an excellent close-up of the Moon.

Just a couple of extra options for you to consider Mark :)
Good advice, but you can't take a picture using binoculars.

Good advice, but you can't take a picture using binoculars.
Actually, you can :)

Adaptors are available that allows you to connect your Smartphone to one of the eyepieces. Simple but effective.

I am not certain if you could connect a Nikon Z6 camera to them though. You would need to research that.

Last edited:
I've taken pictures of the moon through a dobsonian using a point and shoot aimed down the focuser though it is somewhat hit and miss. Below is one of my best attempts and the scope I used (this was 2004).

Ste.JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

I agree that a tripod and the Z6 should work wonderfully but be warned, it's the beginning of a slippery slope into astrophotography level 2 (tracking mounts/dedicated astro cameras etc). I've been there and it got costly but amazing too.

here is my photo of the Moon

I used my EOS 7Dii with a bazooka Sigma lens 150-600 contemporary and the image has been cropped.
A min shutter of 125th as the Moon actual moves at a fair speed, aperture apx f8-11 and ISO 100. To balance the exposure I dial the shutter up and + / - on the aperture.

Here is my most recent pic from few evenings ago

DSC02811-Windows Edited.jpg

For lunar/plantary objects I'd recommend a smallish Shmidtt-cassegrain. Maybe a celestron C5. C6 or C8. They're easy to fit a camera to and at F10+ have a similar focal length to much bigger refractors.

Wow, Thank You for all the help/suggestions. I never knew it was so complex . I'm saving for a camper van at the minute, as my aim is to travel the UK mainly on weekends to see what night sky pics I can get. Then, when it's dark enough, be able to get moon shots. I might check the 150-600 option first, then check telescopes.

Back