Telling the time.

Edit My Images
Yes
Not really sure if this is the best place for these as they're not Macro as such but still close-up....

I repair/restore pocket watches for a living. I don't really have a need for a dedicated macro rig but like to take photos of my work sometimes - It can be helpful for occasionally discussing approaches to the job with other people. So I recently picked up some KOOD magnifying filters. These are my first attempts with the 4X one.

This is a particularly nice and unusually small 18th century watch - the outer case is about 36mm diameter where they are more usually between 50 and 60mm.

I've shot them using a 28-105 lens at around 90mm, small aperture of around F mid-twenties and let the camera sort the shutter speed which are in the region of a second. I get the feeling that the magnifyers are reducing the effective depth of field? Camera is on a tripod and since I don't have a remote release for it yet I used the 10 second timer. Lighting is just the poisable strip light above my bench. None are cropped at all.

Comments of what to do differently welcome! :)

_MG_0200.jpg

2 20p for scale.

_MG_0198.jpg

3 Shutter speed has resulted in visible movement of the contrate wheel.

_MG_0197.jpg

Not an expert at macro or product shots...

But a few things would be a nice clean background maybe white card, remove tag from watch and use some sort of diffuser on the lights to soften the light to prevent bright reflections...

(y)

Thanks Mark. These were only test shots really so I didn't spend much time setting anything up. A diffuser is a good thought though.

Back