Tennis - Another first for me

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Liverpool Int Tennis Tournament.. Went today (thur 18th june 09)

This was my first ever attempt at Tennis and I cant believe my keeper rate... absoloutly disgusted.. Got some fantastic expressions and shots that had to be throw away.. so many of em with no ball when using the 70-200 .. But when I left the court for the last match and went in the seats wiht the 300... masses more keepers.

heres a selection... varied settings.. half manual half AV depending on the ever changing weather/lighting.

EXIF intact : Comments appreciated :)

#1 Michael Stich (DEU) ex wimbledon thingy
tennis1.jpg

#2 Chloe Murphy (GBR)
tennis2.jpg

#3 Neal Skupski (GBR)
tennis3.jpg

#4 Barry Cowan (GBR) Vet
tennis4.jpg

#5 Girl of the moment Laura Robson (GBR)
tennis5.jpg

#6 Emily Askew (GBR)
tennis6.jpg

#7 Wimbledon Jnr champ Laura Robson (GBR
tennis7.jpg

#8 Neal Skupski (GBR)
tennis8.jpg

#9 Barry Cowan (GBR) Vet
tennis9.jpg

Very good mate, Wanted to go this myself somehow, Did you go on a gig or as speccy ?

got a pass for wed/thu/fri but rained off all but on wed so i never went... just wanted to try it.. it was on my list of sports to do.. so a quiet thursday a bit of photography just for me :) done it now so prob not go friday... mega busy weekend ahead..

cheers lasagne :)

Good job! (y)

Looks like the weather may have hampered your settings a bit but thats the thing with Tennis, the rain comes and off you go!

lovely stuff, only one that gripes is 2 where the racket tip is taken off.

Although shooting on a prime with her running towards you obviously not your fault but something i noticed right away.

1st shot is lovely as its 3 etc....

lovely stuff, only one that gripes is 2 where the racket tip is taken off.

to be honest its not in the original.. I cropped in like that... my style is to get right in there so to speak. either with the lens or with crop... but I admit it can work out wrong sometimes :)

Great set, theres never any tennis snaps on here. (y)

Laura Robson is a super player for her age.

Nice shots mate! Posted mine from the Masters event in Nottingham earlier in the week, so I don't know about no tennis shots Tim lol.

I really must get my paws on one of Canon's 70-200 L's next time, it's amazing the sharpness they can render vs the lenses I've got.

Join us in the queue for Wimbledon on Monday! Tennis is an absolute devil to get expression, ball and framing right. I don't think you can see from TV just how quick the players move, and the racket speed is amazing. Last year, with a 5fps sony a700, I'd press the shutter button as the players began to swing the racket forward (so no ball in shot), and the second frame has them on the follow through (so no ball again). And it is too easy to cut off a player's arm or a leg as you do get pretty close on the outside courts. This year I'm hoping my new 300/2.8 arrives (postal strike permitting) and that 8.5 fps and the hair-trigger on the 1D will make the difference.

#1, 3, 5 and 9 each have lovely clean backgrounds, but I'd be happy with any of 'em. Great work as usual.

Yep, we're going to see if we can get some returned tickets late on Monday week and try early on Tuesday for a day pass.

We got some tickets for the quarters last year through our club's BTA allocation, but no luck with either that or the ballot this year so queuing it is!

Great action Kipax.

Although not a crit, more of a question, is it possible to get the ball frozen/sharp as well as the player (#1 & #9 as examples). Is this too hard to achieve?

You need a seriously short shutter speed to really freeze the ball - around 1/2000-1/4000 gave me some frozen ball shots - which of course is dependent on the aperture/ISO abilities of your kit for the light given.

yeagh tiler i have some with ball and arm frozen... but not in the best of set... it got dull/overcast very dark cloudy and i didnt want to up the iso too much.. some of them are 640 iso and i can go to 800 iso without much noticable grain. periods of sun i got the shutter high enough but they where short bursts :)

Not watched much tennis since Mc Enroe and Connors - Cracking shots kipax!

to be honest its not in the original.. I cropped in like that... my style is to get right in there so to speak. either with the lens or with crop... but I admit it can work out wrong sometimes :)

Im all for being tight in on the action, I love doing it myself. Was just the one thing that jumped out on me that the head was cropped off.

Still as per original post the set is lovely :D

Back