Tern, Puffins & Gulls

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
went for a boat trip round the farne Islands with tha family this weekend so it was a boat trip only and no landing although I do fancy getting that close!

Anyhoo, here's a few from there:

Tern - Arctic??
4761822422_7ce9067b6b_b_d.jpg

Puffin on Take off
4761814416_a2424d4f7e_b_d.jpg

One Daft Gull decided to follow us back into shore for a few Minutes so whilst he was posing, I obliged :)
4761823394_f8645b0374_b_d.jpg

4761190853_36873cb6a6_b_d.jpg

Finally, a fly by from this chap
4761190943_d264590cd8_b_d.jpg

There's a few more in the set here

On the whole, I'm happy with the shots, but the need for something bigger than 200mm is screamingly obvious.

C&C Please

Last edited:
Love the sense of motion and flow in number 2.

It's a shame the puffin isn't a little larger in the frame but I still think it's a winner!

Exposure 9/10 ... birds in flight is never easy to nail the exposure, but you have done a good job of that.

Composition ... is letting them down.

1: Whilst it nearly works with the cloud balancing the framing with the Tern, it would look better with the dead space above the bird cropped out.

2: Whilst it was good to catch the splashing, the poor Puffin is about to run out of the frame. ... this actually a tricky one to pull off, with the right balance of where it was, to where it's going

3: Nicely done, if possible a little more room around the bird would be good, but not a major issue

4: Nice idea, but again would benefit with a little more space below and to the right of the bird, again not a major issue.

5: Sorry but that one does nothing for me, too much dead space.

Number 3 would be my favourite of the set (y)

Exposure 9/10 ... birds in flight is never easy to nail the exposure, but you have done a good job of that.

Composition ... is letting them down.

1: Whilst it nearly works with the cloud balancing the framing with the Tern, it would look better with the dead space above the bird cropped out.

2: Whilst it was good to catch the splashing, the poor Puffin is about to run out of the frame. ... this actually a tricky one to pull off, with the right balance of where it was, to where it's going

3: Nicely done, if possible a little more room around the bird would be good, but not a major issue

4: Nice idea, but again would benefit with a little more space below and to the right of the bird, again not a major issue.

5: Sorry but that one does nothing for me, too much dead space.

Number 3 would be my favourite of the set (y)

Thanks Martyn, I will have do some reworks on the crops based on your comments at the weekend when I get back home. tbh, 5 is a little lost on me too now I look back at it.

Martyn has covered the Composition, but all the images appear to lack sharpness, do you sharpen after resizing for the web ?

AH there could be your problem - you want to try sharpening after you resize, as the re-sizing introduces softness into a image.

I've just upgraded my flickr to pro so no more resizing for me, and I also feel these don't look the same on my work PC as they did on my laptop at home. Possibly the Adobe sRGB thing creeping in. I need to make some changes this weekend to my workflow me thinks.:|

Back