Tesco return disappointment.

Edit My Images
Yes
I bought some Beef Mince Meat in Tesco yesterday afternoon. When I came to cook with the mince last night, I cut it in half and tipped it into the pan, when I looked back at the remainder, I noticed that there was a grey section of 1-2 cm in the otherwise pink meat, and the grey section was also in part of the meat I had put in the pan. Thinking that there was something not right with the meat, I scooped it all back into the package and put it into the fridge.

So, thinking there was something wrong with the meat, I took it back to the store earlier. I did not take a receipt when I paid for the food, and the emphasise seemed to be on whether I could get a refund or not, when imho, after problems with meat over the last few years, the thought should maybe be on checking, or at least acknowledging there could be a potential problem with the meat, and maybe, meat still on the shelves.

Whilst I was asked about how I paid, I said surely the package itself could be used to confirm that it was bought from this store, as I assumed, maybe wrongly (hopefully not), that there would be a serial number of some sort on the packaging, so as the meat can be tracked all the way back to the farm the animal(s) was living on, just in case there would be problems, like there have been before.

The staff I spoke to didn't seem to consider what a problem with the meat could mean to other customers. They were even reluctant to take the meat, which I thought may be useful to actually test for problems, but what do I know. :thinking: :rolleyes:

Today was my day off, it is cold and raining outside, and for £3 whatever, I wouldn't have even bothered to go out, but did so because there seemed to be something wrong with the meat, which could potentially affect other people. I am surprised there does not seem to be a process in place with regards to potentially tainted food.

The staff did refund my money, despite not being able to find my purchase using the Debit or Clubcard, but that wasn't why I returned the meat. :(

I have sent similar to the above Tesco, after spending about 10 mins trying to find an email to contact them. Couldn't find an email on their website. After the apathy in store, I doubt I will get a reply. If the email I found actually works.

It was very disappointing.

Just got a reply as I am typing this.

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch.

This email address is not monitored, and we will not be able to reply to your email.
You can find answers and guidance to all of our most commonly asked questions on our FAQ Page.
If you still need to get in touch, please visit our contact us page.
Many thanks

Tesco Customer Engagement Centre

It seems I can message them via WhatApp, but I don't use WhatsApp! :headbang:

All I wanted to do was tell Tesco about a problem they could have which could affect other people. They don't make it easy to do that. :mad:

I bought some Beef Mince Meat in Tesco yesterday afternoon. When I came to cook with the mince last night, I cut it in half and tipped it into the pan, when I looked back at the remainder, I noticed that there was a grey section of 1-2 cm in the otherwise pink meat, and the grey section was also in part of the meat I had put in the pan. Thinking that there was something not right with the meat, I scooped it all back into the package and put it into the fridge.

So, thinking there was something wrong with the meat, I took it back to the store earlier. I did not take a receipt when I paid for the food, and the emphasise seemed to be on whether I could get a refund or not, when imho, after problems with meat over the last few years, the thought should maybe be on checking, or at least acknowledging there could be a potential problem with the meat, and maybe, meat still on the shelves.

Whilst I was asked about how I paid, I said surely the package itself could be used to confirm that it was bought from this store, as I assumed, maybe wrongly (hopefully not), that there would be a serial number of some sort on the packaging, so as the meat can be tracked all the way back to the farm the animal(s) was living on, just in case there would be problems, like there have been before.

The staff I spoke to didn't seem to consider what a problem with the meat could mean to other customers. They were even reluctant to take the meat, which I thought may be useful to actually test for problems, but what do I know. :thinking: :rolleyes:

Today was my day off, it is cold and raining outside, and for £3 whatever, I wouldn't have even bothered to go out, but did so because there seemed to be something wrong with the meat, which could potentially affect other people. I am surprised there does not seem to be a process in place with regards to potentially tainted food.

The staff did refund my money, despite not being able to find my purchase using the Debit or Clubcard, but that wasn't why I returned the meat. :(

I have sent similar to the above Tesco, after spending about 10 mins trying to find an email to contact them. Couldn't find an email on their website. After the apathy in store, I doubt I will get a reply. If the email I found actually works.

It was very disappointing.

Just got a reply as I am typing this.

It seems I can message them via WhatApp, but I don't use WhatsApp! :headbang:

All I wanted to do was tell Tesco about a problem they could have which could affect other people. They don't make it easy to do that. :mad:
Did you try the phone number in the 'contact us' linky

Problem with an item purchased in-store?​

You can return items to your local store or take a look at our returns policy and refunds info. Alternatively, you can call 0800 505 555*Monday-Saturday: 8am-8pmSunday: 9am-6pm

I would like to hope you might get a meaningful chat and acknowledgement of your concerns???

That's pretty shoddy :(
I learned a long time ago, not to mess with the large corporations , and always seek out the CEO's email.
It's not failed so far to get a response.
Not really from the CEO, but someone in their office.
Be firm,but polite, seems to work.
Email David Lewis (CEO) on dave.lewis@uk.tesco.com.

So I have just spoken to a chap on Tesco's phone line above. I told him what had happened, and he said did I want to make a complaint about the staff. I said if they are following the process they have been told to follow, then no, because they have done nothing wrong.

He said the staff are not in a position to take stuff off the shelves! I said that was not what I was asking, but the staff were not even going to take the meat off me to either check in some way, or send away to be checked, and/or to be traced if needed. I said, if someone brings food back that has a defect, surely the minimum that should be done is the food taken and checked? He said he would contact the store and pass on my issue to the manager. He said there were processed for foreign bodies in food, and if food had gone off. I don't think my problem was either of those. It was a discoloured section, for unknown reasons within the meat.

I mentioned the lack of email address, and that WhatsApp is the only way to contact other than via phone. He said he would pass that on. He asked if I would like to use my name, or be anonymous, so I gave him my name. He didn't ask for any contact details, so I doubt my name makes little difference to anything happening from this. :( :rolleyes:

I said I would have preferred to send an email, as I don't use WhatsApp, and said I have been forced to call, because if anyone were to get ill from this, and I didn't do anything, I would feel terrible.

It sounds like there may be little in place to react to things like this. I hope for Tesco's sake, nothing comes from situations like this, because by not having processes in place, they sound like they are leaving themselves wide open for legal problems down the line.

I've done all I can reasonably do. :) A disappointing situation. It's put me off mince meat for now. :LOL:

If it was grey in the middle, chances are it's safe, grey everywhere, probably an issue.

Meat turns red with oxygen, mass produced mince doesn't see much air and can be a differant colour inside.

I took rotten chicken back to a local butcher, he didn't say sorry and just swapped it, customer service needs looking at in all areas!

Edit, I only make the machinery for food/waste industry, so don't take my food hygine advice :LOL:

I just go with my nose :D

Last edited:
Honestly, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

They refunded you. Do you really expect them to send your packet of mince to a lab for forensic inspection and remove all the mince from their shelfs?

Life's too short man, move on.

I've had mince that was starting to brown when opened from the pack, I always thought that was just a natural occurence, that it was harmless?

Seems it can be perfectly fine: https://startsat60.com/media/lifestyle/food/mince-safe-storage-eat

But, if in any doubt, when it comes to beef or poultry [especially] it's best not to take any chances. I have binned meat that seemed perfectly fine, smelled good, looked good, no signs of any discoloration etc but it was just a day over the 'use-by' [not from frozen]- Now with 'Best before' you can take more chances, worst case is usually that the food is stale [rather than rotten] and you won't get the same experience when used before that date

I think they should have taken the product back, if they're refunding it then they're taking responsibility, even if they just took it to the incinerator out back, they should be the ones taking care of it. And I agree, they should then immediately have someone in the meat dept check the remaining stock.

Last edited:

They refunded you. Do you really expect them to send your packet of mince to a lab for forensic inspection and remove all the mince from their shelfs?

I think I said I did not expect them to remove the mince from sale. I did expect them to look at the product to see what the problem was though, as with the experience of somebody working there, they could make an initial assessment of whether it is something or nothing. Until you at least look at it, which no one attempted to do until I pushed the point, then who knows what it is or isn't. That is why I took it back to them, so they would know about it, rather than me just throwing it in the bin, and could decide what, or not, to do with that information.

Mountain or molehill! Until someone looks at it, it could be either.

If it was grey in the middle, chances are it's safe, grey everywhere, probably an issue.

Meat turns red with oxygen, mass produced mince doesn't see much air and can be a differant colour inside.
I have never seen mince meat pink and very fresh looking, and with a bit inside that was grey in over 40 years. :oops: :$ I think I'll take back to the shop rather than take the risk of the unknown. ;)

I have never seen mince meat pink and very fresh looking, and with a bit inside that was grey in over 40 years. :oops: :$ I think I'll take back to the shop rather than take the risk of the unknown. ;)

Ah yes, you did say grey - I think a little browning is fine, but grey! .... eh, nope!

Just think of it as dry aged steak :LOL:

Always best to play safe (y)

most of my work career was in the wholesale food industry and sadly we used to get regular complaints from customers ,directly to head office via a help line . The normal procedure was a home visit with a large box of goodies to exchange for the offending item before it could be taken to the local trading standards office which then made life complicated..

once the items were collected they never went back to the factory just disposed of in the ullage bin .. end of story ..

one thing of note though is from personal experience 95% of the time it was either over fussy customers , or someone whose relation had successfully tried it on for a goody box . The general public is also thick when you buy a food item at xmas with a January expiry date why contact the company in July to claim it was mouldy when bought … seriously that’s the sort of tricks people play and stand there and argue it was like that when purchased

What an amazing view.

I can see why the op is concerned as potentially there could have been an issue which could affect other customers.

And you see this as making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Jesus.

OP.

I think the issue is that people aren't trained for this from the staff on the shop floor and up. I suspect that mostly all they want is for the person in front of them to go away.

The possibility of an outbreak of food poisoning potentially affecting the local population wouldn't enter their minds and if Elliot is anything to go by potential victims don't care either.

You thought there could be an issue and you tried to get someone interested. Well done. You did your bit. The fact that no one else seems to care speaks volumes but there's little people like us can do about it.

I've complained to ASDA a couple of times with varying results. In one instance they sent me some vouchers and in another an in store procedure visibly changed. So, some success. All we can do is try.

Last edited:
Back